Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
GOSFAST

Default Flywheel / Clutch Tips 8BA

I've decided to place some "tips" up here to help many members with some valuable (I believe) info!

This first post will reference the flywheels specifically on the 8BA, it may also pertain to the earlier units, not sure as of tonight!

We came across this "issue" just today while attempting to balance a members flywheel/clutch ass'y.

My son realized that the aftermarket "dedicated" shouldered pressure-plate bolts (5/16-18) weren't going deep enough into the wheel to allow the bolt-shoulder to properly tighten against the plate. If those shoulders don't go all the way in recesses in the wheel it causes the plate to not be centered on the wheel, this means you cannot balance it correctly!

One "fix" for this issue is to run a 5/16-18 tap (by hand) all the way through the existing holes, for some reason Ford stopped all the threads short and just aren't compatible with many of the aftermarket bolt lengths out there, most have an .875" U/H length.

One more area to check is the shoulder length, it MUST go into the wheel counterbore, so we recommend checking the depth with the lock washer (if used) in place!

(Add) Inspect your ring gears very closely also, the "teeth" could actually be in bad enough condition to affect the accuracy of the balance job in the event of a ring gear change at a later time. It doesn't take much weight at 7.000" radius to be cause for a vibration. As of tonight we would recommend installing a new ring gear as insurance! After a few weeks of unforeseen issues here we are actually going to be changing a few of the ways we get to the end of these builds. (e.g., we may start installing 16 brand new valve seats on every FH build in the door, we're working on a "comfortable" price structure for the customer)

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a final note here, you MUST have any pressure plates and flywheels, new or rebuilt, checked for balance regardless if they're claimed to be already balanced or not! We encountered a few "issues" today with a members ass'y, I'll add this without giving the specifics, his plate came from a highly respected clutch rebuilder in the industry, in the end today, we realized it just cannot be used as it is now, balance condition aside!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote