Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
Branded

Default Oil Pressure Reading

I’ve spent most the afternoon searching the site and reading about oil pressure readings because of the #50 and #80 senders and oil pumps. Please don’t attack me for asking because I have read so many posts that I now have information overload. I have a 40 Sedan with the #50 gauge and sender, engine is a 42 from what I’ve concluded which in turn makes me believe it has the #80 oil pump. Has anyone come across a sender that will make the #50 gauge read some where close to accurate with the #80 sender. My next step is to install a mechanical oil gauge but I’d like to have the original gauge somewhat functional.

Last edited by Branded; 12-01-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Oil Pressure Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded View Post
I’ve spent most the afternoon searching the site and reading about oil pressure readings because of the #50 and #80 senders and oil pumps. Please don’t attack me for asking because I have read so many posts that I now have information overload. I have a 40 Sedan with the #50 gauge and sender, engine is a 42 from what I’ve concluded which in turn makes me believe it has the #80 oil pump. Has anyone come across a sender that will make the #50 gauge read some where close to accurate with the #80 sender. My next step is to install a mechanical oil gauge but I’d like to have the original gauge somewhat functional.
I would fit a mechanical gauge. It will give you a true pressure and can then assist in determining the error?? with your present set up.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
cadillac512

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3209&showall=1

Pretty good info here,especially posts 14 and 29 which list possible compatible part numbers.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
Branded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3209&showall=1

Pretty good info here,especially posts 14 and 29 which list possible compatible part numbers.

Terry

Read that post earlier didn’t really say if that cured the issue.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #5
Ken/Alabama

I ran into the same program when I fired up the V12 in my Zephyr. The dash gauge reads 0-50. I was reading low oil pressure . Screwed a mechanical gauge in the block to verify it actually had good oil pressure. The sender I had in it was marked 80 on one of the square shoulders. Went through my stash and found one that wasn’t marked, they are the 50 lb units. Gauge started reading same as mechanical gauge then.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
Branded

Mine is doing just the opposite, sender was in the original 40 engine, the replacement engine is what I believe to be a 42. Don’t know what reading was with original engine because I never had it running. My oil gauge is buried at 50 and I’m guessing I have a 50 psi sender since it came from the original engine. I suppose I’m actually getting over #50 of oil pressure.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
drolston

If you have a pump that puts out more than 50# on an engine with a 50# sender in a car with a 50# gauge, the gauge will read as accurately as feasible with the Ford design. Which means the gauge will be pegged much of the time, if the engine is fresh. That will not hurt the gauge. Go with it, knowing that if the pressure drops below 50 you are seeing something close to the actual pressure.

Note: All 80# senders have the number 80 stamped on the underside. Some 50# units also are stamped, but if it has no marking you can be pretty sure it is a 50# unit, because the stock early model 50# senders were unmarked.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote