Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #21
Gene F

Default Re: Looking for Paint

Michael Allen (above) seems to have a lot of good information. Can't the paints be mixed from recipies in the major mfr's catalogs, at the paint shop? I know that is what the painter did with my Model-A.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #22
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_S85 View Post
Well ive been having a hard time finding mix formulas for my '56 for the interior

From this website:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...Ford&year=1956
They list colors for 1956 Ford interior paint:
Dark Brown, Medium brown, Medium green, gray. Dupont color codes are listed as 2286H, 2285, 59596, 59595 respectively. Those might be old numbers, but the name and old number might be useful to the supplier for finding the modern equivalent.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #23
Rusty_S85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
From this website:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...Ford&year=1956
They list colors for 1956 Ford interior paint:
Dark Brown, Medium brown, Medium green, gray. Dupont color codes are listed as 2286H, 2285, 59596, 59595 respectively. Those might be old numbers, but the name and old number might be useful to the supplier for finding the modern equivalent.
I know that website quite well. Its how I was able to get a "indian" red for my retro Indian motorbike tribute build. how ever my interior color is a two tone, the main color is "Medium Blue" as ford called it and the lighter trim is the exterior Diamond Blue color. There is no Medium Blue listed. I have always wondered if the "Medium Blue" is actually supposed to be Bermuda Blue or Peacock Blue. Looking at the color samples I think Bermuda Blue would be more of a proper color to compliment the Diamond Blue over Peacock Blue.

The chart I have how ever which I called on and was told the chart is useless to be used for painting shows the following.

Its an ACME Interior chart

3157 Blue Metallic : 729 Medium Metallic - Fill To 36 1/2
728 P.C. Blue Toner - Fill To 46 1/4
716 White - Fill To 53 1/2
722 P.C. Green Toner - Fill To 54 3/4
715 Black - Fill To 56

M2J-536 is the number next to this mix chart. Every one I talked to paint shop wise has told me the chart is useless as the colors have changed and the mixing formula is not used anymore.

Last edited by Rusty_S85; 03-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Rusty_S85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #24
frank long island

wow acme I haven't heard that name in a long time I loved their acrylic enamels if you are doing solid colors I prefer single stage you can sand and polish to a high gloss and use less materials as this stuff is getting costly I just did a 64 pickup and spent $1000.00 on a gallon of paint 2 qts of epoxy primer reducer and hardener for paint just for the bed the cab was sprayed last summer before price increase altogether I have $2500.00 in just paint and primers not to mention body filler and bedliner on the floors sand paper and tape
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #25
Michael Allen

Dave, my bad, I thought I was making it clear I trained/instructed and worked with professional collision repair and fleet painters for 30 years; grew up in a mom & pop collision repair/mechanic shop.
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #26
Michael Allen

I responded to another post concerning ways of finding a color. Ahem....Top of the line automotive paint stores usually have a spectrophotometer which reads a sample of the color you would like a formula for. Since color is reflected light, the device uses light to find the "fingerprint" of your color and compares that to other "fingerprints" in the computer. Some give a rating of how well the chosen color matches your color. Whatever is chosen could also be tinted for a better match if necessary. You might like what you see in the can, however, the only real way of knowing how the color will actually look is by doing a spray out. It could take a few spray outs plus additional tinting (or possibly another starting formula) to really dial in the color you want. The color should only be viewed in natural light between 10 AM to 3 PM on a sunny day. Some stores have a "daylight" device that is used and some charge for a tinting service.
Michael Allen is offline   Reply With Quote