Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
kooljunkguy

Default Loud Speedometer!

The other day I was driving my Phaeton and all the sudden the speedometer began making a horribly loud noise. The dial would fluctuate and it would get extremely loud once I got to about 10-15mph. The cable never snapped its would just get loud, I could reach under the gas tank and push the metal cable housing up toward the speedometer while it was making the noise and it would stop until I let go.
Any idea what I might check first before I begin chasing around for the problem?
kooljunkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Loud Speedometer!

When these instruments were assembled, a little lubrication was put in the appropriate places. Over the intervening 90 years, it has dried out and lost its lubrication properties causing noisy "chatter". The fix is to have it serviced by an instrument maker/repairer if you are not confident about doing it yourself. They will relubricate it and you'll be good for the next 90 years.
If you think you are up to it, open it up and apply a little light oil to everywhere parts move. A light oil will also "reactivate" the old lube some.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

Check your private messages at the top right corner of this page.
M.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
gary678*

There is speedometer lube (graphite) available from most of the "A" vendors, small tube and works great. I would take the cable completely off to clean it first. Hang it vertically so it is straight up and down and very slowly add a solvent to remove gunk and dried lubricant. Catch it in a can and continue until it runs clear, then let it drip dry for a day or two. Add lube and hopefully you are home free. Good luck! Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Mark in MT

Test the speedometer and the cable for smooth movement. If either one is dry, it can howl like a banshee! I find that the speedometers most often are the problem, the lube has dried out and turned to rock, the oil wicks are dry. If it runs too long like this, it will wear out the frame, lots of work to fix it then.

marksspeedometer.com

Always looking for another opportunity to be wrong.
Mark in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
kooljunkguy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks all, I’ll try both lubing the cable and the speedo as suggested and see if that solves it.
My speedo was redone by one of my Model A Club members about 60 years ago! Could probably use a bit of oil

-
1931 Model A Standard Phaeton
1929 Model A Pickup
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #7
SteveB31

Besides not being lubed in 90 years, the other cause of that noise is, the inner housing of the speedometer is a machined casting made of pot metal. Pot metal expands as it ages, and the expanding housing makes the machined holes inside that house the little shaft sand gears get smaller causing the spinning shafts to bind up and make noise.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
rocket1

Lube the cable,remove the steel plug off the rear of the speedo (the cast housing is peaned over it) clean out the old dried grease and pack with graphite grease,worked for me,had the same symptoms.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Most speed and rpm instruments of the analog variety have a magnet shaft that spins inside a drag cup attached to a clock type spring. If the magnet & drag cup get too much slack in the bearings, they can make contact with each other and cause both a shrieking sound and a peg out of the indicator. Lubrication may help but there may also be a need for an overhaul of the instrument.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #10
kooljunkguy

I lubed the speedometer with graphite oil and the cable with white lithium grease today and took it for a drive, so far so good! Thanks all who replied.

-
1931 Model A Standard Phaeton
1929 Model A Pickup