Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Rayfry

Default Master cylinder

Is there a master cylinder for front disc brakes that retains the same position of the original, under the floor boards? If there is does it have the dual reservoir with the proportioning valves built into it?
Rayfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
39portlander

Default Re: Master cylinder

Yes, on my 39 P/U I talked with Ralph over @ ECI. I'm using a 67-72 Mustang 1" bore disc/drum master cylinder, EC-445.

The adapter EC-410 master cylinder to stock 39-40 pedal assembly, ECI 860-872-7046 located in Vernon, CT WWW.ecihotrodbrakes.com
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
adileo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Yes, on my 39 P/U I talked with Ralph over @ ECI. I'm using a 67-72 Mustang 1" bore disc/drum master cylinder, EC-445.

The adapter EC-410 master cylinder to stock 39-40 pedal assembly, ECI 860-872-7046 located in Vernon, CT WWW.ecihotrodbrakes.com

Echo that ECI on my 39.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
hotrodart

I used a Mustang BOSS mc with 15/16" bore on my '40 with MAGNUM disc front brakes. The mc cover hit the floorboard so I sectioned it about 5/16" to clear. Works very well, but I suggest you look into using the Corvette mc for fit....you did not say what car you are working on.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfry View Post
Is there a master cylinder for front disc brakes that retains the same position of the original, under the floor boards? If there is does it have the dual reservoir with the proportioning valves built into it?

First, what kind/year vehicle and brake system is it? Second, proportioning was not built into OE master cylinders, but residuals were, and only for drum brakes.

Most disc/drum masters had a residual in the rear drum circuit up to the mid '70s, then they went away. So, you may have an internal residual, depending on what year/make dual master you use will, but will have to add an inline 2 lb valve in the front system if the calipers are higher than the master cylinder.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Rayfry

Sorry about that, I have a 1949 Ford Custom , V8 flathead. 3 on the tree
Rayfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfry View Post
Sorry about that, I have a 1949 Ford Custom , V8 flathead. 3 on the tree

The '49-'51 Fords use a unique master cylinder that also supports the clutch linkage, so there is no direct dual master cylinder replacement. (Well, the '67 Ford Econoline dual master, a one-year-only part, may work if you could find one.)

The common dual master upgrade places the new dual master behind the original on a custom bracket that bolts to the frame. The original master can be gutted to allow a longer push rod in the original location, or offset the new push rod along side the original master, like I did on my '51.
I'm using a 1" disc/drum master with 10 lb. inline residuals with the stock drum brakes. The present master will make it easier when I finally upgrade the fronts to discs, with just a front residual change from 10 to 2 lbs.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 03-20-2019 at 11:50 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote