Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
Fillinjc

Default Gas Shut Off

Hi,

I am installing a down draft Stromberg in my 1930 coupe. I am going to try gravity feed to start. I am replacing my leaking fuel shut off valve with a new one that I bought from Snyder's. After reading posts here I know that I want to be sure of a positive shut off. Is there any advantage to the additional valve in the Bratton's catalog?

https://www.brattons.com/30-31gas-li...off-valve.html

Thanks,
Jerry
Fillinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #2

Default Re: Gas Shut Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillinjc View Post
Hi,

I am installing a down draft Stromberg in my 1930 coupe. I am going to try gravity feed to start. I am replacing my leaking fuel shut off valve with a new one that I bought from Snyder's. After reading posts here I know that I want to be sure of a positive shut off. Is there any advantage to the additional valve in the Bratton's catalog?

Thanks,
Jerry
Gravity feed worked great for my Stromberg until I went over 55mph.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

holy crap! $61!

Hopefully you put the pencil filter in the valve/tank as tiny rust flakes are what usually kills the shutoff valves in the first place.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
denniskliesen

Not so sure copper tubing is an acceptable type of tubing for gas lines. And that ball valve, not sure the innerds will live with todays gas.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
duke36

one can buy a 1/8" ball valve at local hardware stores with viton or similar seats for fuels for about $10 or so. Get compression/ adapter fittings, cut a small section from the existing model A gas line either inside or under hood for indented '31 and install valve where line section removed.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillinjc View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Jerry
I think you will end up installing a pump.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
captndan

Copper fuel line? NEVER!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
Fillinjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
holy crap! $61!

Hopefully you put the pencil filter in the valve/tank as tiny rust flakes are what usually kills the shutoff valves in the first place.
This is the pencil filter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Fillinjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I think you will end up installing a pump.
You're probably right. But I have to try it.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Chris H

I just installed the fuel valve kit from Brattons, the one with the ball valve and copper tubing. I only did this as a temporary measure, after loosing a full tank of gas over winter in the storage unit where I keep my car. The fuel shut off valve, an original type from Brattons, along with the pencil filter, were installed a few years ago, must have been seeping, unknown to me, for a while. I checked the screens in the fire wall and carb filters finding no trace of rust. The tank looks clean.
I can only figure the fuel shut off must have been seeping for quite a while and the float seat had some debris on it and started leaking. My usual practice, after driving the car, is to turn off the shut off and allow the car to die from fuel starvation, before leaving the car. (I keep a large plastic pan under the engine area and check it for any fluid leaks regularly.)
I can only figure that the crap gas that I use has left its usual deposits on the float seat and possibly the shut off fit. I added a good slug of SeaFoam to the tank before adding gas. The needle seat has stopped leaking, for now, thanks to the SeaFoam. The plan is to replace the shut off and needle seat in the carb. Any good recommendations from the group on a needle & seat that will hold up to the crap gas? (That is all that is available in this part of the country.)

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Copper fuel line? NEVER!
Gotta ask. Why not? My car,inherited from Dad, restored in '85, and driven for over 30 years, still going strong today has copper gas line from sediment bowl to the carb. No known problems over all those years.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Copper can work harden over time and crack. That's also the reason it isn't legal for brake lines, even though my friend has a 29 Stutz with copper brake lines, and says the factory used copper.

In the late 70's I bought some brass tube and brass plate to make a funnel to fill the tranny on my motorcycle. I hung the brass funnel on the wall of the granary, and come spring I found the brass tube had a crack. I never could figure that one out. Why would the 1/4" brass tube crack while hanging on the wall for 6 months?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In the late 70's I bought some brass tube and brass plate to make a funnel to fill the tranny on my motorcycle. I hung the brass funnel on the wall of the granary, and come spring I found the brass tube had a crack. I never could figure that one out. Why would the 1/4" brass tube crack while hanging on the wall for 6 months?
Age hardening? Medium difficulty technical write up of age hardening mechanism here http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=9623

The process is accelerated at low temperatures (precipitation of two phase mix.)

Joe K
Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #14
Chuck Sea/Tac

I just have a regular ball valve on mine, ( for several years, with no problems)with adopers down the standard gas line. Then I go to the auto parts store and buy steel brake line, and cut it to the size I want.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #15
SSsssteamer

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg; In the late 70's I bought some brass tube and brass plate to make a funnel to fill the tranny on my motorcycle. I hung the brass funnel on the wall of the granary, and come spring I found the brass tube had a crack. I never could figure that one out. Why would the 1/4" brass tube crack while hanging on the wall for 6 months?[/QUOTE]

With my pre-'16 antique cars, I get a lot exposure to brass and its problems. The best fix to prevent brass from cracking is to anneal it. You anneal brass by bringing it up to about 500 degrees F. and then by either letting it air cool or by quenching it in water. With it in its soft annealed state, there isn't the problem of it cracking apart like a piece that has been work hardened. I bought a reproduction pair of brass Rushmore headlights for $950 in 2001. Both of the headlight doors now have ugly splits in them from having been work hardened when they were made. Work hardening puts stress into the brass that eventually in time, blows it apart.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #16
katy

Any thoughts on using Copper-nickel brake tubing for gas lines?
https://www.copper.org/applications/...ube/brake.html
Old 04-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
1931 flamingo

Why not? In the past 80+ years I'm sure just about every type of metal or rubber gas hose has been used, either as a final fix or a temporary fix. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote