Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
patrickt

Default Questions from a new member from manila, philippines

Hello All!
I`d like to start off with some information about our car. I last drove it about 16 yrs ago.The registration says its a 1928 Phaeton. Its a right hand drive (steering wheel on the right side), though we do drive on the right side of the road (like the U.S.) But after some scrutinizing, hmm.. it seems lots of modifications have been made. It has been sitting in our garage all those years, as the engine was opened up and was originally planned to be overhauled (but was not).

I am hoping to bring it back to as close to original as i feel would be practical for our budget and time, and availability of wear items like tires and such e.g. we will probably keep the smaller 16 inch wirewheels (for now at least) it currently has on for ease of finding tires over here. I will post pics when i learn to do so .

Sadly, there are only a handful of Model A`s over here. For now, we will have a chance to see a friend`s 1928 Model A Tudor Sedan in a few days.

That being the case, may i ask what the Tudor sedan and the 28 Phaeton share (other than the engine of course). An A owner told me about 20 yrs back that i had the wrong fenders and bumpers. Its not easy to just use pictures, so we are bringing our bodyman who will build the fenders from scratch. Our windshield frame is wrong as well, and have already gotten a new correct one, together with stanchions, which will mean more bodywork. I have gotten hold of some measurements for the outside, but need info on things like the shape, etc.. As for the interior, it would help to have an idea on measurement and shape. I definitely have the wrong dash, so size/dimensions/shape of the dash itself and what ever else inside the car would be valuable as we will likely have to repair the dash (among other things) to the correct shape and measurements. Hence my request if anyone knows what they share in common, both exterior and interior. Thanks again! patrick
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Questions from a new member from manila, philippines

Welcome to the Barn!!

1928 was a transition year, that is there are early '28's and later 28's. Check the location of the parking brake lever. If they are both on the same place then the odds are that the cars are both of the same time period.

Assuming they are both the same, the mechanicals will all be the same. Brakes, transmission, engine, shocks steering front end, rear end, well you get the idea.

Eternal, well here is what is not the same; rear fenders, of course the body. The front of the car is the same, radiator parts, fenders, splash apron, are the same.

Post pictures of your car and we can help better.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #3
patrickt

Thanks for the welcome!
As soon as i find out how to post pics, i shall. And by the way, the parking brake handle is the squeeze type, located in front of the gearshift lever. Thanks again!
patrick
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 AM   #4

Patrick, I have a Model A, but Iam looking into getting a Jeepney sent to the USA, I was in manila and Makati for months at a time.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Tom F OHIO

Patrick, If your handle is a squeeze type it is a early 1928. My son's 4 dr is a late 1928 since his brake handle is in front of the shifter but he has the push button type brake handle. You could contact LeBaron & Bonney to find out what interior options you have for your car.
Tom...
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
JohnLaVoy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Not sure what the cost of "building" fenders would be but the fenders sold by Brookville Roadster are very good and would work well on your car.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn. For picture posting go to 'advance' and toward the bottom you will see manage attachments. Click on that and a delegate box will pop up. There you can attach pictures from your computer. For the fenders I believe that even early 28-29 had the same fenders up front. There might be differences in the rear I think.

Mike
Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
barnstuf

1928-29 rear fenders are the same for Tudor, Fordor and Phaeton. A different rear fender us used on Coupe, Roadster, Cabriolet, Pickup.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Rancho Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Welcome to the barn. For picture posting go to 'advance' and toward the bottom you will see manage attachments. Click on that and a delegate box will pop up. There you can attach pictures from your computer. For the fenders I believe that even early 28-29 had the same fenders up front. There might be differences in the rear I think.

Mike
They did not !! The fronts had different shapes several times as with the rears..

Last edited by Rancho Deluxe; 05-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

The Standards show the two main different front fenders used in 1928. With the parking brake in front of the shift, you have a mid to late 1928. 1929 used the push button handle, but some people have switched, as they are both interchangeable for the parking brake in front of the shift.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote