Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
BlueSunoco

Default 1930 Roadster at auction Monday 4-6-2015

Looks like a pretty decent car, claims fresh restoration has been done.

Hamilton, Ill. east of Keokuk, Iowa on Il. 136. West of Macomb about 30 miles.

http://www.sullivanauctioneers.com/a...r-car-auction/

Looking at the one about 3/4ths of the way down the page. They are just now assigning Proxibid Item numbers on the cars. The Roadster between the Malibu Convt. and the red '32 Roadster Street Rod.............

I've gone to their sales in the past they run a good auction. Dependable people. Be ready to bid because they don't fool around very long!!

Last edited by BlueSunoco; 04-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 1930 Roadster at auction Monday 4-6-2015

Wow, did you see the ultra rare 1929 AA Service Car??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Jwilli

They sure have some interesting cars for auction. Thanks for posting.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Lots of nice lookers there.
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
BlueSunoco

Didn't have my camera and have no Smart phone..... but the interest in antique and collector cars is FAR from dead by the bidding going on

One of the nicest antique cars there was a 1929 Chevy Tudor that was just short of stunning. VERY well restored, solid black, $15,000 I'm sure it was worth the money. As A Ford guy I had to tip my hat to that one very very nice! 1930 Model A Rdst. pickup, again a very nicely done restoration was sold at $20,000. BUT (and here is where it gets weird) 1930 Roadster that looked good in the pictures I'm sorry to say was a real turd box. Nasty car. A 50 footer and I'm being kind. Billed as 'recent professional restoration' man the guy that restored that car better take up collecting stamps. RH door was 'sprung' wouldn't stay shut, even popped open as they drove the car on stage. Driver's side you had to lift the door to open and close it was jammed. Frame had to be sprung big time the hood had a big enough cowl gap and even a twist Oprah's butt wouldn't cover it Rumble seat lid wouldn't even begin to close it was way off. Cartouche interior and top. It did creep up on it's own power I'll give it that. Every paint flaw in the book. At $20,000 I think that buyer could have done a lot better he should have bought the Roadster PU. But again, the bidding was hot and heavy for that Roadster drew a lot of attention Maybe the 'owner' bought it back I don't know, no reserve sale. Tons of bondo in the car also I did have my 'spot-rot' with.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Didn't have my camera and have no Smart phone..... but the interest in antique and collector cars is FAR from dead by the bidding going on

One of the nicest antique cars there was a 1929 Chevy Tudor that was just short of stunning. VERY well restored, solid black, $15,000 I'm sure it was worth the money. As A Ford guy I had to tip my hat to that one very very nice! 1930 Model A Rdst. pickup, again a very nicely done restoration was sold at $20,000. BUT (and here is where it gets weird) 1930 Roadster that looked good in the pictures I'm sorry to say was a real turd box. Nasty car. A 50 footer and I'm being kind. Billed as 'recent professional restoration' man the guy that restored that car better take up collecting stamps. RH door was 'sprung' wouldn't stay shut, even popped open as they drove the car on stage. Driver's side you had to lift the door to open and close it was jammed. Frame had to be sprung big time the hood had a big enough cowl gap and even a twist Oprah's butt wouldn't cover it Rumble seat lid wouldn't even begin to close it was way off. Cartouche interior and top. It did creep up on it's own power I'll give it that. Every paint flaw in the book. At $20,000 I think that buyer could have done a lot better he should have bought the Roadster PU. But again, the bidding was hot and heavy for that Roadster drew a lot of attention Maybe the 'owner' bought it back I don't know, no reserve sale. Tons of bondo in the car also I did have my 'spot-rot' with.

I have said it over & over, but "real world" prices that Model-A's bring is MUCH different (i.e.: Higher) than what many here give their 'appraisals' for. I often hear folks complain about the costs from a restoration shop, --often it goes something like "I can buy one already restored for that!" but they are also the ones that pay the $20k like the successful bidder on this Roadster did only to find themselves spending that amount again just to get it to reliably Start, Stop, & Steer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
stouchton

Oh No!!!!

That is so funny - the roadster looks like it has my brown wall Goodyear tires on it!!

Of course, that pretty much convinces me that my brand new white wall goodyears will do the same thing
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
Oh No!!!!

That is so funny - the roadster looks like it has my brown wall Goodyear tires on it!!

Of course, that pretty much convinces me that my brand new white wall goodyears will do the same thing

You're right! First picture has the 'brown walls' second photo (same auction) has white walls same car. I thought maybe there were two Roadsters in the sale they just snuck in two different pics.

I'm sure, this is the same car I saw sell about 12 years ago in Geneseo, Illinois. I'll swear to it because it was so rough it jogged my memory. That day that guy paid $16,000 for the car so at least somebody made four grand along the way. No buyer's or seller's fees at this sale but a number of the cars were announced at '6.25% Illinois Sales Tax' was to be paid by Illinois buyers but not from out of staters. This is the first time that I witnessed that one, and it was only on select cars which made me think 'maybe' they were from a collector car dealer????? Also, Illinois tax on antique cars is/was a flat hundred bucks up to $19,999, then 5% of the sales price on $20,000 and up. Maybe that changed but I doubt it
Old 04-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
mhsprecher

Gotta love the One Owner 39 Sedan - repainted white just recently.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote