Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #21
26Tguy

Default Re: Model A vs. Flathead quandry

Body style would narrow down the decision... even then your opinion will most likely differ from mine or everyone elses. So tell us... what vehicles are you asking about?
26Tguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Keith True

Actually the main reason I'm looking into getting a later 30's Ford is that I can't drive a closed A more than a few minutes with the windows up.I'm not that big,but my shoulders give me troubles.A lifetime of working on heavy equipment,operating it,driving trucks,building,concrete work,dirt work,etc,have given me some strange shoulder joints.They're not really a problem,I just have to have my arms out from the sides of my body at all times.If I tuck my arms against my side,like driving a closed A,my arm tries to pivot on the muscle under my armpit,and that tries to pull the arm out of the socket.I can drive open A's,or closed A's all day with the window down,as long as my arm can stick out.Three miles in a closed A with the window up is about the limit for me.I've driven a 36 and a 39 quite a lot and they have just the right amount of room I need.The power and speed of the A is not a problem for me.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
Bader

Av8 would have the best of both worlds,but there's nothing like say a 40 fordor for comfort and power. They ride so much nicer than model as
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
Brother Hesekiel

I live in sunny Southern California, so for me a Roadster is the body style of choice. I have a 1925 Model T Roadster ("Runabout") in original paint (what's left of it), and a '31 Model A Roadster. The one step up from it would be a stock 1932 Deuce Roadster, preferably with the Flathead V8, not the B 4-banger engine. The problem is, a T Roadster costs about $15K, an A Roadster $20K, and a B Roadster $75K.

Anything later than '32 is too modern for me.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
TDO

Don't get me wrong, I love my A, but a 39 or 40 coupe would be very tempting. Far as parts go the A is more affordable. And it is a nice car.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
Rock Hornbuckle

I have two A's and a '41 Fordor. The '41 has a factory two-speed rear end, and is a comfort to drive. It would be difficult to choose. Sort of like having to choose which child you would keep.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #27
BlueSunoco

Looking at a '31 Roadster vs. a '36 Coupe five window.

Model A's look to be 'easier' to work on, parts look to be a lot better and cheaper to come by, more good repo parts out there vs. what they have for the flatties....Father-in-Law with a '30 Coupe reminded me today 'You can pretty well get home on a Model A with basic mechanical knowledge, the A won't let you down'.

Thanks for all the comments helps a lot!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
klawockvet

I own a 28 roadster and a 40 tudor. I've driven both in the past as my only daily drivers and would have to say the 40 wins hands down in speed, comfort, ease of driving and dependability. I have had no problem with parts availability for either one. That leaves style, which is a personal preference. I have trouble deciding if a 28 or 40 is the best looking cars ever made. If and when I ever get to retire I will own nothing later than a 40.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
I own a 28 roadster and a 40 tudor. I've driven both in the past as my only daily drivers and would have to say the 40 wins hands down in speed, comfort, ease of driving and dependability. I have had no problem with parts availability for either one. That leaves style, which is a personal preference. I have trouble deciding if a 28 or 40 is the best looking cars ever made. If and when I ever get to retire I will own nothing later than a 40.

LOL, I once said my 62 Chevy would be my newest car, but when we started getting ripped at the gas pump I needed something with good fuel economy, so I now own mostly 1980 to 1999 cars.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #30
Brother Hesekiel

Looks like we are drifting away from the Flathead issue, but since we're doing it, let me tell you that I wrote about this very subject a few years back:

http://www.californiaclassix.com/Bernard/NewCars.html

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #31
Model A Speedster

I couldnt decide either.... So I built a '30 coupe with a Flathead

To answer your question in my opinion. I was brought up around Model A's from the day I was brought home from the hospital. I came home in a '31 Standard Phaeton in 1984. So Im rather partial to them myself. But I was also extremely fascinated by Flathead V8s as well. So I guess the decision is up to you and your personal preference. There are strong support groups behind both sides. Model As are a bit more plentiful and popular, but early V8s are nice too!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #32
al's28/33

I have one of each and the "A" has more availability of finding parts. The V8 I have to hunt and that takes time and I get impatient!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #33
Mafman

I also have one of each, and it's like apples and oranges to me as well. My Tudor was my first car, and I'll never part with it. It generates many smiles per mile (mine, my passengers, and many observers). My '39 Deluxe Fordor is very different, but I love it as well. Either way, you can't lose.
Mafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #34
dean from bozeman

I bought my first Model A in '66 and have owned several through the years. The lines and overall look of a Model A are just right. I overlooked the issue of not quite fitting into one. I'm 6'4" and 225 lb.

Then I visited a friend who has a '36 Flathead. The fit was good. The power for these two lane Montana roads was there. I started looking at the V8's. Their look started to grow on me.

Last year I sold one of my A's and a trailer full of "A" parts and bought a '39 Coupe. It is eleven years younger than my Model A. Improvements obviously were made but the basic car isn't all that much different.

If possible, drive a Model A for a week and then drive a V8 for a week. Afterwards you will have the answer that is right for you.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #35
Forker

Like others here have said, I also own both and enjoy them both. I've owned my '30 Model A Phaeton longer and thus have driven it more and done more with it. If I was only going to own one and decided on a Model A, it wouldn't be a Phaeton because weather impacts the usability of a windowless vehicle. But when the weather is good, it's a lot fun to drive, top up or down. If I had to pick one between the two I have right, I'd keep the '48 mainly for the reason above. Fortunately I don't have to choose and plan to keep both for a long time.

I will have to admit that being a big guy, the Model A isn't nearly as comfortable as my '48 to fit into and to drive around in. But the Model A is more of an attention grabber and you'll find people waving to you as they see you go by.

1930 Ford Street Rod
1948 Ford Super Deluxe Convertible
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote