Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
corvette8n

Default Is there a tutorial on king pin r&r

I would like to service my king pins this fall, is this something a shade tree mechanic should attempt or should I do as "Ol Ron says and let someone else do it"
What special tools would I need, best place to get parts? Etc.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
johndee138

Default Re: Is there a tutorial on king pin r&r

I took my old spindles off and took them and the bushing kit to the machine shop. They pushed out the old bushes and pushed in the new ones , reamed them to fit the new kingpins, and I put them back in.
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
19Fordy

Do as John (above) did.
Well worth the money spent.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
TagMan

I have reamers and used to work in a machine shop, so I'm used to working with them. There is a 'knack' to using them - certainly not rocket science, but there's somewhat of a learning curve. Before spending a lot of money on a reamer and possible making things worse, for a one-time repair, I'd take them to a pro. If you were local, I'd offer to do them for you free of charge.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I think you will find the cost of the reamer ect. will out way the cost of having them done. There are many past threads on what is involved if you want to attempt it yourself.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
TJ

I've done them both ways and find that using a machine shop will give you the best job. Most of us don't drive our cars as everyday drivers. A new set of king pins and bushings fitted by a machine shop will most likely be a one time cost during our lifetime. Do it once and do it right.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
RalphM

I am a mechanic, and it was a good excuse to buy another tool!
But if your only going to do it once, then the shop is the way to go.
Make sure to carry the kingpins in with the spindles so they can "test fit" them.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
corvette8n

Thanks for the offer tagman, I wish I did live closer. Talked to my local NAPA machine shop and he said I need to bring in the whole front axle, but I'm hearing I only need the spindles, which is correct.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
TagMan

All you need is the spindles for the king pins & bushings. The king pin clamps in the axle and doesn't move - only the spindles move. Check the king pin holes in the axle for any damage, but they're normally OK and don't need attention.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Krylon32

I've never heard of a machine shop requiring the front axle to fit the kingpins to the spindles. I'd find another shop. I just had 3 pairs of 37/40 spindles I picked at the LARS swap meet glass beaded, re bushed and king pins fit for 40.00 a pair. I don't know if that's high or low?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I've never heard of a machine shop requiring the front axle to fit the kingpins to the spindles. I'd find another shop. I just had 3 pairs of 37/40 spindles I picked at the LARS swap meet glass beaded, re bushed and king pins fit for 40.00 a pair. I don't know if that's high or low?
krylon is correct, find another shop. The front axle is not needed to fit the pins to the spindles.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Old Henry

The first "pro" I had redo my king pins (and maybe even the second) didn't check the alignment of the grease fitting with the hole in the bushing so no grease would go into the bushing. Make sure your "pro" does better than that. They should fit the bushing then look through the hole to make sure it's perfectly lined up. Finally, my "real pro" had to drill the bushing hole out a bit to get it right so the grease would go in.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
cdan34

Using the proper reamer is the right way to go. The king pin reamers that were used back then had a lead or pilot that would go into the second hole. When finished the holes would be directly in line. What I did, with a lifetime of machine shop and machine tools, is turn about a 12 in long piece of water pipe, king pin size, minus .002 to .003 dia. With grinding compound and by hand quickly brought the bushings to size. Surprised me, but maybe a better fit than with reamer!

cdan34
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
GB SISSON

And I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't show you how I ream mine with one of my wife's wooden spoons, kerfed with a bandsaw and strips of cloth backed sandpaper torn from a sanding belt. The other end is chucked in a drill and spun until the kingpin is a perfect fit. Like the poster with the piece of pipe, the alignment is excellent. The machine shop is a great alternative for most of you, but I live on an island with no machine shop so it's a 35.00 ferry ride and then again to pick them up and that's two days lost from work so I figure out how to do it here at the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted frame and kingpins woodie 005.jpg (78.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg painted frame and kingpins woodie 006.jpg (68.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg painted frame and kingpins woodie 007.jpg (81.0 KB, 163 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Russdadto5

Has anyone tried the king pins with needle bearings ?
Russdadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
Russdadto5

You don't need a ream or special tools.
Russdadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I've never tried them but lots of negative reports on them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
Frank Miller

They say honing gives the best results. I have heard of wrist pin bushings being expanded after being pressed in to give the tightest fit before final machining. GB lives on an island without a machine shop and I live in a city without one. It is getting harder to find places to do what we need.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
stangblue

Do them yourself, all this running around paying other people waiting on them not for me. Working on your car is part of the hobby and should be fun and rewarding! If I don't have a tool I borrow it (remember that works both ways). Befriend other mechanics its far cheaper and the knowledge they have you can't pay for (bring them coffee and a roll when visiting;-))) don't be cheap, nobody likes a freeloader.That is also why this forum is also a Great resource I appreciate the time and knowledge that people here give and hopefully I can give something in return that helps. Thanks!

Last edited by stangblue; 07-06-2017 at 08:34 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
They say honing gives the best results. I have heard of wrist pin bushings being expanded after being pressed in to give the tightest fit before final machining. GB lives on an island without a machine shop and I live in a city without one. It is getting harder to find places to do what we need.
Google is the new "Let your fingers do the walking.", have you tried?
Stop in at Morgan's on Washington St., sounds like they will help, they are experienced in all engines and automotive machine shop work.