Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #41
Tod

Default Re: Thinking about investors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
Oh I wasnt suggesting that you replace all all patterns and molding with 3d printing. It certainly would not be cost productive for any sorts of production work. But for items that only a hand full would be produced it certainly seems to be a good application for. Having one so local to you is a big plus in my book.
Hate do do it, but I need to derail the tread for a second or two to ask a question. I am hoping you have gotten a look at the local printer. Back when this thread first popped up I got onto a kick for building a 3d sand printer and have been toying with the design some. My stumbling block is the way the sand is deposited/layered onto the bed. Is the feeder just a vibratory spreader or is there more going on that I just cant see?
I understand what you were getting at but others might not have. The whole conversation would be a good one but, yes, not really in this thread. I have seen these machines work close up and there are really no surprises since I have been around 3D rapid prototyping of various sorts since about 1990. 3D sand is just the latest craze. Useful, as you say, but specific in application. The smoothness of operation seems to rule out vibratory spreading, but I have never asked. I assumed it was lightly blown through the printer head and laid that way onto the layers of resin. I will have to ask how the Exone machines work in that regard. As I understand the whole industry is undergoing very rapid improvements and modifications. New ways of printing are being developed and pricing is dropping some right now. Still very expensive, though.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #42
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOES31 View Post
Tod-Listen good here.....
After you get the flathead V8 going and selling, I have another one for you......the 134 cu. flathead 4 that was used in the FORD GPW JEEP ENGINE not the Willys block would do amazing in sales. We can't get any of these blocks anymore. Due to Fords rendition of the casting, many suffered cracks that are hard to repair.

Yes, someone is casting new jeep 134 blocks but they are not marked for world war II engines at all. And they are made in China. We need new blocks with serial casting numbers that make sense and the quality you bring to the table.

And you might as well offer the Willy's casting because Willy's blocks are drying up.
Can you get me both blocks to work with? I usually plan projects 2-3 years in advance. I can start on something almost immediately. I like to work on multiple projects at once.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #43
JOES31

Hi Tod,
I don't have either block. But I can do some probing on the jeep website forums and try to get something started. I will report back to you!
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote