Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #21
Tod

Default Re: Thinking about investors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Yes casting is complex, I use to tell how well things were by the number of stacks pumping out smoke here:

https://youtu.be/wXtuJRHo1U8

Good luck Tod, I wonder what dollar figures you're talking about to get off the ground?
PM sent.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #22
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Dark age.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks for the response. I think things are covered now. Enough people have stepped up.

Tod
Good to hear!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #24
Fred K-OR

Tod do you have any small foundry close enough to you that you could buy them out and same some startup costs? May not fit your plans but just an idea.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #25
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Tod do you have any small foundry close enough to you that you could buy them out and same some startup costs? May not fit your plans but just an idea.
No.

Tod
Old 04-05-2017, 04:59 AM   #26
Manager

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
'ONLY chance'
' WOULD need some people under 30'
This is a 'mouthful' of faulty words...and based on what ?

Oh yes, I know of...exactly zero people under 30 who:
A. know what a foundry is;
B. know what a model A block and/or V8 flathead block is, and
C. have any 'extra' funds to invest in something that they know nothing about and no interest in.

These types of words and worse have been used priorly, by others , to state that this particular man cannot do this or that !

Hm, wonder how that worked out !!

When you ask a man to state/justify what he is doing, used to be that you would expect a direct answer..whether you like the way he says it or not.
Not saying what YOU can and can't do. So you are only talking short term investment then. Big project for short term and I wish you all the best. Thanks for your reply.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #27
Tod

I have located equipment and the perfect space for the foundry/investment venture. I began working up a rudimentary business plan with start up costs, gross income projections, and I met with a foundry consultant that can bridge any gaps in my knowledge and experience. The first meeting went well and I was only steered on one equipment choice.

I was able to find an even better furnace set up than I had first located, which would allow for more growth to outside customers. If you are one of those interested in investing in this let me know again. I think there were about a half dozen that could cover the start up and probably first year or 2 of operations, and I have others interested and to talk to yet about shares. Potential for ROI is solid.

In this direction, I stated that one of the new projects that would start soon is a new 8BA V8 flathead block. I have a complete motor on its way to my shop right now to use for design purposes. As soon as the Model A OHV head design is finalized and ready to get cores for I will begin design work on the 8BA. The A blocks, 8BA, and OHV, along with my other heads (Winfields, Thomas, dual plug, 6:1 aluminum) and other parts combine for a very nice internal foundation for steady work. Even my wife is excited about the prospects.

Tod
Old 04-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #28
tinkirk

Tod I wish you all the hope and prosperity in your venture

God Bless
Tinkirk/Terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
aonemarine

Tod, In what state are you planning on setting up in? Will this be a strictly an aluminum foundry?
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #30
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
Tod, In what state are you planning on setting up in? Will this be a strictly an aluminum foundry?
Ohio. It will be iron and aluminum, set up accordingly.

Tod
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #31
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkirk View Post
Tod I wish you all the hope and prosperity in your venture

God Bless
Tinkirk/Terry
Thank you. It will be challenging but the rewards will make it worthwhile.

Tod
Old 04-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #32
tinkirk

Quote:
Thank you. It will be challenging but the rewards will make it worthwhile.

Tod

Yep and never say never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #33
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkirk View Post
Yep and never say never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have already owned an aluminum and zinc foundry in the past and have worked with at least 60 foundries around the country so I have enough experience to draw from and enough sense to talk to people when I run into questions. I usually do what I set out to do. It may take time, but I rarely fail to finish what I start. What people might not see is how many things I tend to work on at the same time. Paying bills always comes first, in business.

Tod
Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #34
Art Newland

Todd.
PM sent.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #35
aonemarine

Im still thinking that a 3d sand printer would be the way to go in your ventures.
The ability to skip the pattern making process and complex molding of limited production parts could certainly prove fruitful in the antique automobile industry.
The only downside is they come with a hefty price tag, about 1.4M
Old 04-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Wish you were my neighbor. I like this kind of stuff. There was a small foundry 5 miles from where I used to live, and they did some cast iron castings for me for my old stationary engines. The nice thing back then was that they only charged me a buck a pound for my castings.

At lunch time in town, you could tell who worked at the foundry because their clothes and faces were pretty black.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #37
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
Im still thinking that a 3d sand printer would be the way to go in your ventures.
The ability to skip the pattern making process and complex molding of limited production parts could certainly prove fruitful in the antique automobile industry.
The only downside is they come with a hefty price tag, about 1.4M
I have a sand printer 4 miles from me. I don't need to buy anything. But printed sand is not the answer for all sand just yet. Mold sand is MUCH less expensive than printed sand. I have 40 years in this so I trust my ability to know what to do and when. I was once a special lecturer for the American Foundry Society so I think I have experience to know the business.

Tod
Old 04-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #38
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Wish you were my neighbor. I like this kind of stuff. There was a small foundry 5 miles from where I used to live, and they did some cast iron castings for me for my old stationary engines. The nice thing back then was that they only charged me a buck a pound for my castings.

At lunch time in town, you could tell who worked at the foundry because their clothes and faces were pretty black.
Yeah, pricing used to be better. Now it is 2-4 bucks a pound depending on complexity and size. For example, my A blocks are 130# raw cast in iron. The sand cost ends up driving the price for that casting up to about $800. 6 bucks a pound. I have access to some pretty knowledgeable people that can fill in any gaps I may have. I wouldn't even think about this if I didn't know I could do it. It is hard work. It can be dirty work. But it is honest and needed work. I think investors will realize a big return. I'm doing it for easy access to my own castings, and profitability. The property I am looking at will have my machine shop right next to the foundry. The whole operation 8 miles from Snyder's. Snyder's has indicated an interest in using the casting facility. It will keep his stuff closer and in the hands of a supplier he can always get ahold of.

Tod
Old 04-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #39
aonemarine

Quote:
I have a sand printer 4 miles from me. I don't need to buy anything. But printed sand is not the answer for all sand just yet. Mold sand is MUCH less expensive than printed sand. I have 40 years in this so I trust my ability to know what to do and when. I was once a special lecturer for the American Foundry Society so I think I have experience to know the business.

Tod
Oh I wasnt suggesting that you replace all all patterns and molding with 3d printing. It certainly would not be cost productive for any sorts of production work. But for items that only a hand full would be produced it certainly seems to be a good application for. Having one so local to you is a big plus in my book.
Hate do do it, but I need to derail the tread for a second or two to ask a question. I am hoping you have gotten a look at the local printer. Back when this thread first popped up I got onto a kick for building a 3d sand printer and have been toying with the design some. My stumbling block is the way the sand is deposited/layered onto the bed. Is the feeder just a vibratory spreader or is there more going on that I just cant see?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #40
JOES31

Tod-Listen good here.....
After you get the flathead V8 going and selling, I have another one for you......the 134 cu. flathead 4 that was used in the FORD GPW JEEP ENGINE not the Willys block would do amazing in sales. We can't get any of these blocks anymore. Due to Fords rendition of the casting, many suffered cracks that are hard to repair.

Yes, someone is casting new jeep 134 blocks but they are not marked for world war II engines at all. And they are made in China. We need new blocks with serial casting numbers that make sense and the quality you bring to the table.

And you might as well offer the Willy's casting because Willy's blocks are drying up.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote