Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
foxfire42

Default Car Cover question

Yes, I did an advanced search but got all kinds of responses most not related. The search seems to think I wanted info of transmission covers, valve covers, a cover for a miller OHV etc. If there's a trick to fine tune the search like on ebay I would love to know how.

I have a freshly painted A and want a super soft underside. Possibly more than one layer? Naturally this will be for indoor use. The paint is not yet totally cured and a very high quality. It is not driver quality paint. Another problem is the dust here in AZ (it's windy). I do have and use covers. I find that the fine dust seeps through and leaves as much dust as if the car was never covered. Rather than using the description of the cover by the manufacturer I would like opinions from those who have personal experience. What cover would be recommended for this paint problem and preventing dust seepage? I hate to think the only option is one of those clear plastic blow up bubbles.

Barb
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Car Cover question

I have a California car cover for my 30 Tudor and love it. It is a midline quality cover that fits my needs. I would recommend calling them or visit their website as they have plenty of styles to choose from. Cheers, TB
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I have one of those 7 layer (whatever that means) covers from a Texas seller, and it cost about $50. It has a soft inner lining, is lightweight, and will work fine inside a building. Outside it will leak rain through the seams, and disintegrate in a year or two.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
foxfire42

I reviewed the ones on California Car Covers but there was no information provided on the material used or # of layers etc. The only thing one could use to determine quality was to base it on the price. ie: higher price higher quality..LOL.. I'll do some further searching and perhaps call the CCC Monday to see what they say.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
duke36

Make sure one is purchased that breathes. We've seen plastic types that can lift paint.
Our favorite indoors are old cotton sheets for our mild, dry climate.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Synchro909

The dust here gets in like in Arizona. I haven't yet found a cover worth using so my next attempt will be no cover at all and blow or wash the dust off before I use the car. The best so far is old curtains with that sunproof lining on the back - I think it was called Millium or similar. I made the cover go all the way to the ground (concrete floor)and put weights around the edges
Old 05-11-2018, 11:57 PM   #7
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
I reviewed the ones on California Car Covers but there was no information provided on the material used or # of layers etc. The only thing one could use to determine quality was to base it on the price. ie: higher price higher quality..LOL.. I'll do some further searching and perhaps call the CCC Monday to see what they say.
We presently have 16 collector cars, and we have purchased many car covers through out the years. Many car covers have been totally misrepresented in their sales presentation. We do have a couple of garage queens that are mostly for show. The best cars have the highest priced California Car Covers and I have been pleased with their results. The covers breath, they are stretchable, they are relatively dust free and they are softly lined to prevent scratching when installing or removing the car covers. I am delighted with them. Using no car covers over a high dollar paint job while storing for a month or more I have found to be foolish. We have cars along side of cars so we can compare the cars with, and the cars without car covers. The cars under the covers keep their luster more than twice as long as those cars without car covers. No big surprise here. The best car cover that money can buy is wise investment that will keep on giving you a good return on your initial purchase. Do the math. Installing a $50 car cover over a $10,000+ paint job? I don't think so.....
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #8
pbishop

First thing, with today’s technology if you had the car painted by professionals then you should have received it (after painting) completely cured. The paint shop would have ‘baked’ the car after the painting process and then let it sit shop-covered for a day or two, then into the lot for another day or two before contacting you that the job was done (basic industry standard). If you got it back before that then someone was not doing their job correctly.

If you painted the car yourself (we did), then you will have needed to have left the car in the paint booth/tent for several days after you painted it.

COVERS – a double ply cover is ‘always’ the best. ‘WOLF CAR COVERS’ have worked well for me. The top layer absorbs the moister and keeps the paint dry. Still, you need to uncover the car after ‘rains’ to ensure that the car and the cover are dry.

WAX – as soon as is recommended – WAX THE CAR (within 6-8 weeks of painting). – TWICE back-to back on the same day. The car should be ready to go. This allows you to easily wash off the car at any time in the next 3-4 months and go for a beautiful drive (‘Double Wax Every Four Months – why? Because you love this car and want it to remain pristine)!
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
pbishop

First thing, with today’s technology if you had the car painted by professionals then you should have received it (after painting) completely cured. The paint shop would have ‘baked’ the car after the painting process and then let it sit shop-covered for a day or two, then into the lot for another day or two before contacting you that the job was done (basic industry standard). If you got it back before that then someone was not doing their job correctly.

If you painted the car yourself (we did), then you will have needed to have left the car in the paint booth/tent for several days after you painted it.

COVERS – a double ply cover is ‘always’ the best. ‘WOLF CAR COVERS’ have worked well for me. The top layer absorbs the moister and keeps the paint dry. Still, you need to uncover the car after ‘rains’ to ensure that the car and the cover are dry.

WAX – as soon as is recommended – WAX THE CAR (within 6-8 weeks of painting). – TWICE back-to back on the same day. The car should be ready to go. This allows you to easily wash off the car at any time in the next 3-4 months and go for a beautiful drive (‘Double Wax Every Four Months – why? Because you love this car and want it to remain pristine)!
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
frank55a

Try Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories (BHMA), they have indoor and out door covers for every body style of Model A even with or without side mirrors. I have 1 of their blue indoor covers for my Tudor which I purchased 40+ years ago and it is still good. I also had one for my phaeton that I sold last year that cover was over 28 years old and was still very good. They do not make the blue covers any more they are a tan color but they say they are the same. This cover can be rolled up to about the size of a sleeping bag so you can take it with you when staying over night.

Do not confuse them with Beverly Hills Car Covers (BHCC) it is not the same company, however BHCC does also make covers for the Model A. I have seen the BHCC covers and I believe the BHMA covers are much better quality.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
Bobm90

I also have purchased covers from California Car covers, my cars sit outside all year and the "Noah" material is very good, seems to completely protect from rain and snow, soft inside and breathes, I even use one on a car kept in the garage to protect from scratches, call them they may be able to provide a sample, but these covers aren't the cheapest in the industry, made for many different models.
Bobm90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

We have a Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories blue car cover also, same as Frank, it's blue and about 40 years old, for the Roadster. Works very nicely. And as someone said they make them in tan now but the same quality stuff. I've washed mine a number of times and it is still working great. Custom fit, fits the Roadster top perfectly no pinching or pulling just 'drapes' snuggly around the top and the car.

An antique car friend had a car cover years ago for his '29 Pontiac Tudor that had a real soft inner liner, like a soft cotton like fluff. He is gone now, wished I had asked him where he got that it was first rate.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote