Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
Old Henry

Default Re: How to remove pilot bearing? '47 59A engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
This is the hot ticket. I have probably pulled 100 pilot bearings over the years. It yanks them right out, fast. You screw down the handle which pushes a tapered shaft down between those two arms so the ends are held in place in back of the pilot bearing. Then you start turning the nut and it pulls it right out. I have never tried one of these tools on a flathead but it worked on everything I ever replaced a clutch in at work.

Try and get a used Snap-On pilot bearing puller (A-78) its the best but they are not cheap. I checked the "sold" ones on eBay and they went for between $42.00 to $100.00. Keep an eye out for these at the swap meets.
Yeah, that's the one I saw in this video that gave me the idea of getting one from AutoZone. If I'd been able to get that one I wouldn't have smashed my thumb with the slide hammer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62c...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
4dy

My son used pieces of wheat bread. I told him he was crazy, but it worked! The auto parts stores didn't have the right sized puller
4dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #23
cretin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dy View Post
My son used pieces of wheat bread. I told him he was crazy, but it worked! The auto parts stores didn't have the right sized puller
I had the same issue on an off topic engine. Puller wouldn't fit, but did the grease trick. Next time I had to do it, I did bread because it sounded so weird, I had to try it. Sure enough, worked like a charm, and was much easier to clean up then the grease.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #24
Bob-93021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Slidehammer with just a hook will do fine, actually, it's not a super tight press in there.

On the grease and toilet paper options...someone on the HAMB took that to a perfectly developed level: Use peanut butter instead of grease. Knock the thing out, then go have a cup of coffee while your dog cleans everything up perfectly!
Bruce, Whoever posted the peanut butter version is one creative person - B
Bob-93021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #25
Lawrie

Henry,NO one has mentioned the crap chin**se bearing that comes with the kit,do your self a favour and drop into your local bearing supply shop and get an SKF or US made one.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #26
willowbilly3

I'll have to remember the bread trick. I've done grease. On the bronze ones, I've threaded a bolt in the hole and turn it until it bottoms out, just keep going until it's removed. But the expanding fingers on my slide hammer have done all of them I've ran across in the last few years.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote