Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
Slopey1939

Default Halogen Light Bulbs

Anyone have any experience with replacing stock light bulbs (taillight, headlight etc) with Halogen bulbs (6V) for better night driving? If so, any issues with them regarding wiring, generator and such? Do they work with stock generator (no tweeks?) wiring etc?
Thanks
Slopey1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Halogen Light Bulbs

Halogen lights draw a LOT of current and will burn up your light switch so you have to wire in a relay.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
adileo

I assume you have a 39. For me and my 39. I added running lights, which are as good as my mordern car low beams. For tail lights I switched to LEDs. The led tail lights are very bright. These two changes are highly recommend.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
fourfords

After much research and asking tons of questions, I bought halogen light bulbs for my 6 volt '33. Go to: http://www.classicbulbs.com/ This new generation of bulbs are a bit brighter than the 35/50 bulbs and do not seem to draw added voltage. I made no modifications. Pricey though.

Last edited by fourfords; 10-10-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
mrtexas

Beware in that an original reflector most likely won't work with a halogen bulb as it won't be focused correctly. I had a set before the Bob Drake ones came out and the were not satisfactory. Bob Drake sells new reflectors designed for halogen bulbs that work much better. I see they are out of stock for a 39 but here is a link:

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...78-13027-QK-12
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I have been using quartz halogen bulbs in my A for the last 15 years---with the stock generator, 35 watt quartz halogens, no other modifications, stock sockets, reflectors, lenses, wiring
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

I have been using the newer type 6V halogen bulbs in my basically stock '35 fordor sedan since 2010. They do draw more current but they are also much brighter than the original incandescent type bulbs. I am still using a stock '35 3 brush generator, a Fun Projects voltage regulator, original stock wiring and light switch with no relay system and no known problems in the last six years. The headlight bulbs use the American Pre Focus Bases which are in the correct position for the stock reflectors on my car.
Last month I bought a set of 50/35W halogen headlight bulbs and an LED taillight bulb at the Carlisle Show from the first sourse listed below. Now my headlights are nearly as bright as my modern vehicles and project a good beam that lights up road very well in front of my car. The LED taillight is also very bright for both the running light and brake light. I feel much safer now while driving at night.

ps...I believe some of the earlier comments on this thread are based on older, original halogen bulb offererings from the past. The halogen bulbs offered by the suppliers on the links below are a newer generation design that draw less amps than the previous designs. They are a bit pricey, but worth every penny to me.

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

http://www.classicbulbs.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160715_100804301(1).jpg (21.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160716_143633794_HDR(2).jpg (97.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160716_161304494_HDR(1).jpg (93.5 KB, 47 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-11-2016 at 08:11 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Talkwrench

Swapped headlights [bulbs] to halogen, mine is 12 volt alt with new relays and wiring. Big difference but as said it just throws light out, I covered to top of my lenses just to be "civil" to other motorists...
Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 AM   #9
mhsprecher

Like JM 35, I bought some halogen headlight bulbs for one of my As and the LED tail light bulbs from Classic and Vintage Bulbs. I saw him at Hershey a few years ago. I am very happy with them. I did switch to an alternator for the car for a variety of reasons and all is good. My tail lights on my 39 are pretty bright, but I would like to switch to brighter bulbs for safety. I will do something for the headlights, too, at some point when I get it sorted out a bit more.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
G.M.

I have used halogen headlight bulbs for 25 years in my 39. The replacement
3 prong sockets on wiring harness were plastic and melted from the heat of
the halogen bulbs. Replaced them with ceramic sockets and no problems since.
Never had any switch or wiring problem. When dealing with higher amp loads
all connections must be good. G.M.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
blucar

The problem with halogen bulbs in the '36-39 head-lights is the prisms in the lens, not the reflectors. The reflectors just reflect the light source back to the lens, the prisms therein direct the light into pre-selected areas of the road.
The halogen conversions I had in my '39 emitted gobs of un-directed light which did not illuminate the roadway and was a problem for oncoming drivers on two lane roads.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
AnthonyG

Checkout LED conversions, I know kits are available for 12V, not sure about 6V. They're very bright and low electrical draw.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
fordor41

Halogen generate a lot of heat. Use caution with plastic lens.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

I spoke to the folks at Classic & Vintage Bulbs about their LED 6V headlight bulbs for my 35 and they advised me not to go with LED, and to stay with halogens. They said while their LED's draw less current, their offering was not brighter than their halogens. They did suggest that I try their LED taillight bulbs, and they do light up the rear of my standard model, one side only, running light and brake light.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #15
flatheadmurre

If a bulb says 35w it will draw that amount of current no matter if it´s a normal, halogen or led unit.
The benefit of a halogen or led is the higher efficiency and added life.
So if you put in a modern high effiency halogen bulb you get a better lumen/watt ratio that gives you more light with the same current draw.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
Kurt in NJ

Before I had the quartz halogens ---(the original Maxda bulbs were filled with halogen gas) ---I was using 50co regular bulbs, to make them bright I had to crank up the 3rd brush to the max--too much for a stock unvented generator so I ran it with the cover band off, when I changed over to the quartz halogens I found that I could reduce the charge rate and still have bright light---even more amazing the light barely changed in brightness when the generator was off charge at idle, the 50cp bulbs nearly went out of usable light

with the 2 35 watt headlight bulbs and the 2 tail light bulbs+ignition is about 14 amps
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
flatheadmurre

Next is the colour of the light a colder(higher kelvin rating) usually comes with changing from a normal to halogen.
The new ultrabright ones have an even higher rating.
The leds and Xenons can reach another notch in a range up to blueish.
The same lumen rating in a colder version is often seen as a better light.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote