Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Does this sound fishy or what?....

Some guy responded to my truck add...This is the email I got form him:

Dear Steve ,

Thanks for the mail, I really appreciate your prompt reply and i'm glad you are selling to me... Firstly, I'm okay with the selling cost , secondly i don't want you to worry about the shipping process,I have a reliable shipping company that handles my shipments perfectly,All you need do is to keep the item safe.

I will instruct my staff associate to issue out a Check Or Money Order for the payment and shipping to you, When you get the payment you are to deduct your $3500 for the item and send the remaining funds to my shipping company to enable them come down to your location for the pickup. I bought some other merchandise too and my shipping company will be picking them up together once you received and confirmed that payment had cleared fine in your account ,so they will need the remaining funds to enable them come for the pickup.

It takes 1-3 working days to clear a check, so Money Order must clear before pickup. Notify me immediately when you get the funds so i will email you with my shipper's information who will be coming for the pickup at your location... I'm sure you can await the payment in the mail, It will be sent to the Information you will provide for me:

Full name...
Residential address...
City..
State..
Zip code...
Country...
Phone number...

Can you remove it from the posting and consider it sold to me? I will be happy if you can do that today ..I will be looking forward to read from you.

Regard,
Floyd Lewitts

Heck no I am not going to sell him my truck and all the items for it AND allow some shipping company to come get the stuff.

If he wants it...He comes and gets it!

Pluck

Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
darrylkmc

Default Re: Does this sound fishy or what?....

Steve,

Any time I get a response which includes "the item" it is a scam and I never ever respond, the more you respond the more they will contact you, different names, different stories, same scam.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Pluck
That's a classic scam
Delete it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
jkcrosson

Completely bogus. Delete and wait for a real buyer. Typical craigslist reply..
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
QGolden

I sold my '68 C20 on Craigslist, it was a nice truck and was priced accordingly. I got at least 10 emails just like that or very similar . Scam. The emails from the Merchant Marine who is at sea, and the guy on the Oil Rig in the Gulf are scams too.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
ford3

there is a scammer in nigeria that is licking his chops waiting for you to send him the over payment, one of the oldest scams on the net, but never the less some one always falls for it, if you want some giggles tell him to send you the m/o and then dont do any thing with it and wait for him to throw a fit wanting to know why you havent sent him the over payment money for the shipping
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Phil

Had some friends fall for the scam. The took the check to their bank, the bank said it was bad. Then a few days latter the money appeared in their account, they called the bank, and was told it cleared. They sent the extra money to the "shipper" by depositing with Wal Mart ( I did not even know you could do that) a few days latter the bank with drew the funds from their accounr. The bank said it turned out to be bad Check. That overdrew my friends account. The bank offered to make a loan and they had to make payments to cover the banks screw up. The bank would not budge and they could not afford to hire an attorney and fight.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
marc hildebrant

Did I read it wrong ? Says that the funds will be sent FIRST. Then you send money from the funds received ....

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Reds34

SCAM! I had one similar to that which I "bit" on. We got a check, it was fake I told him I could send the check back or shred it. He didn't reply to that email, then a couple weeks after that he sent an email to me with "police at your doorstep" in the subject line. It was pretty funny and I told him that if the police show up then I will hand them the bogus check. My wife and I still laugh about it. I wonder if it is done to mostly older items in hope that it is an older person selling it so they may be a little more naive about it?

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
QGolden

What they’ll often do, once you agree to the deal, is ask if they can pay you extra, and have you send a money order for the excess along to someone else. So, if you’re asking $1000, they’ll PayPal you $2000, and ask you to send a money order for the extra $1000 on to someone on their behalf.

Then, after you send it along, they suddenly reverse the transaction (it used to be they’d just send a personal check that would initially clear, but would actually bounce several weeks later).

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Steve Wastler

Steve trust your gut, you posted with suspicion and you are correct to be. This is most definitely a scam.

Phil, it sucks your friends fell for this and I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but how on earth could that be the banks fault? Your friends got conned plain and simple. JMHO
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
QGolden

First, they mass email those generic emails to Craigslist ads, such as, “is the posted item still available?”. The higher priced your item is, the more likely you will get one. They somehow always offer to pay more than the asking price, for a shipper or third party, and it will never have a reference to the actual item in the ad, such as, “Is your car still available?”.

Once they get a response, they come back with the whole “I’m out of town, it’s a gift for someone, And despite mentioning a money order, they suddenly need to use Paypal, If you agree to ship something (or pick something up), they will send a few emails claiming to be from Paypal, which they clearly aren’t. These fake Paypal emails are very pushy urging you to ship the item ASAP and give them the shipping confirmation number. The fake Paypal emails also claim that the payment was successful, even though there will be no payment showing in your PP account.

Sometimes they say that once there is a valid tracking number and the item has been shipped, then Paypal will release the funds into your account.
In another scam you list an item for $5,000. The scammer offers to pay $6,000 via Paypal. You cover the excess $1,000 mistake out of your bank account (real money) and send it to them via Western Union. You ship the Item, or it is picked up, expecting the payment to clear into your PP account after you give tracking details.

Then bam, there is a “problem” with the Paypal payment. So now, you have shipped the item to them, so you lose that. And you lose $1,000 out of your bank account to them.

Cash in hand during pickup is the only safe way to deal.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Steve, serious??? oldest scam around and been around since the internet was invented..>Where ya been???
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
First, they mass email those generic emails to Craigslist ads, such as, “is the posted item still available?”. The higher priced your item is, the more likely you will get one. They somehow always offer to pay more than the asking price, for a shipper or third party, and it will never have a reference to the actual item in the ad, such as, “Is your car still available?”.

Once they get a response, they come back with the whole “I’m out of town, it’s a gift for someone, And despite mentioning a money order, they suddenly need to use Paypal, If you agree to ship something (or pick something up), they will send a few emails claiming to be from Paypal, which they clearly aren’t. These fake Paypal emails are very pushy urging you to ship the item ASAP and give them the shipping confirmation number. The fake Paypal emails also claim that the payment was successful, even though there will be no payment showing in your PP account.

Sometimes they say that once there is a valid tracking number and the item has been shipped, then Paypal will release the funds into your account.
In another scam you list an item for $5,000. The scammer offers to pay $6,000 via Paypal. You cover the excess $1,000 mistake out of your bank account (real money) and send it to them via Western Union. You ship the Item, or it is picked up, expecting the payment to clear into your PP account after you give tracking details.

Then bam, there is a “problem” with the Paypal payment. So now, you have shipped the item to them, so you lose that. And you lose $1,000 out of your bank account to them.

Cash in hand during pickup is the only safe way to deal.

That is exactly what I told the SOB!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
amdriven2liv

I did a search on the name: Floyd Lewitts. First results were scams.

Go figure.

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Brubaker

I got as far as "I will instruct my staff associate", then the fish smell was over-powering. Really sad how many people like this are out there.
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
marty in Ohio

I'm a retired banker and we saw this scam all the time. The other one is when you win a sweepstakes and you didn't even buy a ticket. They want you to send them your check (or give them your bank account number so they can direct debit) for taxes and handling. If you fall for it once you are marked. I had a customer who won about twice a month! The first time he gave the info over the phone and was stuck for $2,400. The second time he came to my office with a winning check in the amount of $250,000 and was told the check would be honored as soon as he sent $4,000 in a money order. I walked the customer over to our shredder and dropped the check in. He was pretty upset at first until the sender called to demand the money order. It's all phoney.
One older lady told me she won a sweepstakes and she called as she didn't remember buying a ticket. She was told that this prize was only for people who never win anything.
Please beware.
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

When you suspect a scam, just E-Mail back, "YOU'RE A SCAMMER"! & they always GO AWAY! Bill W.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Tiny

I strung one of these guys along for like a year before he got fed up with me! It kept me entertained at least!
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
Rock Hornbuckle

I would ask him to come and meet me, then I would beat that SOB like he was the last Viet Cong on earth.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote