Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #61
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Which Model A for a coast to coast trip?

Thanks Brent. Am not familiar with the T, and did not know they could go that fast.

Do not think I would feel comfortable going that fast in a T, do not even like going that fast in an A. But that is my personal comfort zone.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:09 AM   #62
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
At least he is not impeding traffic like many Model-A driver's do. The second picture below is a GPS taken at the end on one of his travel days. (Note the stickers on the windshield) Dean's maximum speed would make many Model-A drivers moan to keep up.

And, I guess the sticker thing is moot, because when he attended my tour, -and on several others I have been on with him, he has upgraded to the pick-up you see in this picture. I think the Touring was last used when him & George made their loop out to Kanab and back.

For once I agree with Brent 100%

Model Ts are great cars...with a strong 27hp engine (SCAT crank, Stipe 280, High comp head, Five ball or NH straight carb, Firestone Polonium plugs, etc.) and a high speed rear you can keep up with a stock Model A. Model T has less hp but is a much lighter car.
I've done 300 miles in a day in a T myself...too much fun.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #63
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
For once I agree with Brent 100%

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #64
Harpkatt

Delivery wouln't have crossed my mind, I like that choice. Sleeping in car is a requirement for all of my vehicle purchases. All of my A's seem to ignore that rule.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #65
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
My personal choice would be a delivery.
I could sleep in it at walmart parking lots............
and go antiquing as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpkatt View Post
Delivery wouln't have crossed my mind, I like that choice. Sleeping in car is a requirement for all of my vehicle purchases. All of my A's seem to ignore that rule.

Unless you fellars are pretty short, I think y'all would be mighty uncomfortable in a Delivery. Even the 255A Traveler only has around 60" from behind the seats to the rear doors. You would almost need the length of an ambulance to be able to sleep horizontally in one. Then, I'm sure your aching kidneys would keep you from enjoying a good nights rest!

Also, unless you have ever ridden in a 130B or 255, they are very limited on visibility. Remember, the doors are the only side windows you have, and you sit rearward of the doors. I think that would not be ideal if you are planning on sightseeing on this trip. Again, the AA Ambulance (-or maybe a bus) may be more ideal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1158.jpg (56.5 KB, 27 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #66
Dave in MN

Default Which Model A for a coast to coast trip? Pull a camper!

Greetings all,

Sleeping in a Model A...a bit tight. My plan is to travel cross country in a '31 S/W Town Sedan while pulling a small camper? I started on this "clam shell" camper about three years ago and worked on it, off and on, since then. It is equipped with mechanical surge (Model A) brakes, a pull out kitchen from the side door, two fold down bunks, and a small table. I finished it in early March of this year. I wanted a compact tear drop shape but wanted to be able to stand up when I pull my pants on in the morning. The car is modified a bit to handle the extra load.

I had a 6500 mile road trip/shake-down run planned to start March 14th but with the pandemic taking hold, I cancelled the trip until it is safe to be on the road again. If I am able to complete the shake-down run successfully this year...then next year: To Alaska!
Good Day!

Notes: Click on the photos to enlarge.

If you want to see lots of photos of the camper build, click on the link below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpkQzNoX83nGXN4s5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camper and '31 cropped 4MP.jpg (53.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Camper Rear Side view.jpg (51.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Camper Side view Open.jpg (89.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg First Meal in Camper.jpg (58.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Frame before powdercoat side shot.jpg (70.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg First opening of skinned frame LR.jpg (35.3 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-17-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #67
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Beyond cool there Dave on your trailer. Even Miss Jean is smiling!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #68
30 Closed Cab PU

Put a trap door in the bottom and go Ice Fishing.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #69
TerryO

Nice...really nice
TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #70
Fairview

Dave, Love it! Now that is the way to go.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #71
Will3

I have done two coast to coast trips and back, plus a couple trips to Alaska and back. Also lesser trips to Colorado and Texas. I've always done them in a 31 S/W sedan. Lots of room for luggage and everything you need. Most with
my son and wife in the car.
Will3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #72
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will3 View Post
I have done two coast to coast trips and back, plus a couple trips to Alaska and back. Also lesser trips to Colorado and Texas. I've always done them in a 31 S/W sedan. Lots of room for luggage and everything you need. Most with
my son and wife in the car.

Sweet! Tell us more about your car: Stock or modified engine? Overdrive? Brakes and tires? Do you carry spare parts? Any failures along the way?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #73
Synchro909

Dave in MN, do you have a picture of the inside with the bunks folded down please. Your trailer is very close to what I have had in mind for a while.
We have done a number of outback trips. The shortest was 7,000 miles and the longest was right around the country (same size as your 48). That was nearly 20,000. We towed a camper trailer that weighed in at about a tonne (2,200#) when loaded but I'd like something a bit lighter. I'd be happy to do without some of the luxuries I dragged around the place and that ticks the boxes..

Your trailer reminded me of this Australian van made between the early 50s till about 1970. They rarely come up for sale these days. Have a look at this:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2y35ty

I am trying without success to upload pictures of a sleeper attached to a Model T we saw on one of our trips. I don't know what I'm doing wrong - any help out there?

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-15-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #74
Will3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Sweet! Tell us more about your car: Stock or modified engine? Overdrive? Brakes and tires? Do you carry spare parts? Any failures along the way?
I have a engine I had built in 1998. 100 over. Was a touring engine built before touring engines were the thing. Local builder. I have had a head gasket replaced in Maine and my ring and pinion gear went out in New Brunswick, Canada. Had to ship car home from Maine. Also a wheel bearing in Illinios. worked on it in a parking lot till 11:00 one evening. Got it fixed and continued the next day I travel with 4 to 5 other A's and I have a lot of parts under the seat. Dist,water pump,carb. With the group if I dont have it then some one else has the part.
Will3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:38 PM   #75
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will3 View Post
I have a engine I had built in 1998. 100 over. Was a touring engine built before touring engines were the thing. Local builder. I have had a head gasket replaced in Maine and my ring and pinion gear went out in New Brunswick, Canada. Had to ship car home from Maine. Also a wheel bearing in Illinios. worked on it in a parking lot till 11:00 one evening. Got it fixed and continued the next day I travel with 4 to 5 other A's and I have a lot of parts under the seat. Dist,water pump,carb. With the group if I dont have it then some one else has the part.
Sharing the parts is one of the bes parts of travelling with others in the same cars. Because we travel alone most of he time, I am more restricted re parts but we manage. So far, the most serious thin to happen to my car was a broken fan belt and the difficult to diagnose #3/4 crossfire, I replaced a head gasket chasing that one before I found it. Oh, and I broke a couple of wheels too (pulled the spokes off the rim. A drill, a grinder and a welder saw them fixed in no time thanks to a local farmer.