Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Twocollies

Default Looking for info for restoring model A pickup

I am going to start restoring a late 1930 closed cab Pickup. Is there any books on information on the cab exterior finishes and interior finishes as well as the pickup bed. nothing is mentioned in the judging standards on this.
Twocollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Looking for info for restoring model A pickup

Restoring the Model "A" Pickup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LDQX86..._cZwmCbNH616M3
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Bob C

Did you look at section 14 of the Judging Standards?
Also get the Paint and Finish Guide. https://www.brattons.com/model-a-for...ish-guide.html

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
Charlie Stephens

The most common mistake is to finish the bed wood with a natural finish, it should be painted body color. The radiator, headlight buckets, cowl band and taillight buckets were regular steel painted black. The radiator shell is the same shape as the passenger car, except as noted it was regular steel painted black. There was an AA shell that was deeper (for a thicker radiator) and lacked the peak in the top center. The radiator shell emblem was blue like the passenger cars. No cowl lights. Be sure to include a "dispatch box" in the right cowl panel. The running boards were steel with a diamond pattern, not rubber covered like the passenger cars. The spring in the rear was heavy (maybe same as 4 door sedans, look it up) but I put a roadster spring (7 leafs) in my '31 RDPU and glad I did. The original spring was too strong and left the rear of the truck too high in the air in my opinion. There was no rear bumper. There was only a left side brake light but I added one on the right using the same bracket bracket used on the left side. There was a deluxe pickup but it was an entirely different bed and easy to identify. It was not just a standard one with stainless trim added. Since the pickup was built on the passenger car chassis everything is pretty much the same as the passenger car. How about some pictures?

You should add your general location to your profile, you never can predict when and how it will pay off.

I read the book "Restoring the Model A Pickup" years ago and wasn't very impressed with it. If you can find a copy somewhere that you can thumb through you might save some money.

I hope people make corrections and additions to my comments if required.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-06-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Floats

The pickups also had a lower diff ratio to the cars, 4.11 : 1 if I remember correctly and the wheels were also black.
As Charlie mentioned, the pickup had very little shiny bits, I believe only the head light rings and the radiator cap.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Charlie x2. The book is interesting, but does not have much detailed info for restoration. The things mentioned in Charlie's posts are the common things modified on trucks to dress them up a little. Trucks were pretty plain Jane in appearance since they were designed more as a utility/work vehicle, instead of a passenger vehicle, they were used hard not pampered. Plain looking/no frills. Also a lot/most of them had the 4.11 differential, 1st is a real "granny" gear, top speed is very limited. I think the truck gear ratios carried over on into the 1950s on a lot of trucks. So what you do is based on if you are doing a true restoration to original/judging standards, or restored to your liking.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
jhowes

Charlie has answered more questions that I had than anything I could find in the books. Thanks. One thing though--If the running boards were painted, did anyone worry about the paint coming off due to foot wear?? Seems like they would have been bare metal in no time. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Russ/40

My suggestion is to forget about the book mentioned in post #2. It is a terrible book with horrible fuzzy photos and little usable text. Ask away here on the barn, and you will get all the help you need.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Charlie - What was the interior materials?

Have heard previously truck's door cards/etc. were originally painted black flexible cardboard stock material- no cloth or rubber/vinyl/cloth covering.

Were the cards trimmed/sewn?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The most common mistake is to finish the bed wood with a natural finish, it should be painted body color. The radiator, headlight buckets, cowl band and taillight buckets were regular steel painted black. The radiator shell is the same shape as the passenger car, except as noted it was regular steel painted black. There was an AA shell that was deeper (for a thicker radiator) and lacked the peak in the top center. The radiator shell emblem was blue like the passenger cars. No cowl lights. Be sure to include a "dispatch box" in the right cowl panel. The running boards were steel with a diamond pattern, not rubber covered like the passenger cars. The spring in the rear was heavy (maybe same as 4 door sedans, look it up) but I put a roadster spring (7 leafs) in my '31 RDPU and glad I did. The original spring was too strong and left the rear of the truck too high in the air in my opinion. There was no rear bumper. There was only a left side brake light but I added one on the right using the same bracket bracket used on the left side. There was a deluxe pickup but it was an entirely different bed and easy to identify. It was not just a standard one with stainless trim added. Since the pickup was built on the passenger car chassis everything is pretty much the same as the passenger car. How about some pictures?

You should add your general location to your profile, you never can predict when and how it will pay off.

I read the book "Restoring the Model A Pickup" years ago and wasn't very impressed with it. If you can find a copy somewhere that you can thumb through you might save some money.

I hope people make corrections and additions to my comments if required.

Charlie Stephens
Old 01-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

Have heard previously truck's door cards/etc. were originally painted black flexible cardboard stock material- no cloth or rubber/vinyl/cloth covering.

Thanks.
Sorry, I can't help on that one. I don't want to guess and send out the wrong information. Start a new thread and you will find some people with original trucks that can give you the correct answer. You might find someone with a dispatch box riveted to the cowl panel that could tell you what is under it. I don't recall having read the answer anywhere but maybe someone else has and could direct you to the information. As you are finding there is very little information unique to the trucks.

Charlie Stephens
Old 01-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Charlie x2. The book is interesting, but does not have much detailed info for restoration. The things mentioned in Charlie's posts are the common things modified on trucks to dress them up a little. Trucks were pretty plain Jane in appearance since they were designed more as a utility/work vehicle, instead of a passenger vehicle, they were used hard not pampered. Plain looking/no frills. Also a lot/most of them had the 4.11 differential, 1st is a real "granny" gear, top speed is very limited. I think the truck gear ratios carried over on into the 1950s on a lot of trucks. So what you do is based on if you are doing a true restoration to original/judging standards, or restored to your liking.
Good comment on the gear ratio. This is one of the places I cheated and used a set of 3.54 gears in my RDPU. It was a good decision and I would recommend it.

Charlie Stephens
Old 01-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
SteveB31

All that info is in the Judging Standards and the paint book
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
My suggestion is to forget about the book mentioned in post #2. It is a terrible book with horrible fuzzy photos and little usable text. Ask away here on the barn, and you will get all the help you need.
Agreed 100% regarding that "book". Forget about it. Useless trash.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
All that info is in the Judging Standards and the paint book

SteveB31 - Just sent you a PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #15
Twocollies

Thank you everyone for your help. Greatly appreciate the knowledge and experiences that you guys are willing to share. That's what makes this hobby so great and fun. Then we get to drive them.
Twocollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #16
NZ28ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Charlie has answered more questions that I had than anything I could find in the books. Thanks. One thing though--If the running boards were painted, did anyone worry about the paint coming off due to foot wear?? Seems like they would have been bare metal in no time. Jack
I don't know if it is factory, but mine has the aluminium step plates fitted over the diamond pattened/black painted running boards..
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #17
NZ28ModelA

Quote:

Thanks.
My 28 roadster pick up has black painted kick panel and door cards. They are held in with exposed stainless screws and washers..
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ28ModelA View Post
My 28 roadster pick up has black painted kick panel and door cards. They are held in with exposed stainless screws and washers..

Do not yet have copy of the above mentioned book, just ordered a copy. What is the material of your kick panels/door cards - Plastic, vinyl covered cardboard, painted hardboard, other?

I have remnants of what I believe are original door cards/kick panels, but are unusable. They look like they are are two layered of fine card board with a smooth finish, and some type of thin material adhesived to the cardboard. Additionally there is a paper thin cloth trim sewn on covering the edges.

If needed or interested I can post pictures of the material sometime in the next couple of days
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #19
rocket1

I agree with russ/40 I have the book,mostly pictures and no detail on interior,not worth $30. bucks.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #20
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post

I agree. Many of the photos have details just traced over with a pen. I didn't find it very useful. However, the company or guy who produced it (Mac?) did sell some good brackets, chain links, and hooks for the bed. This was a long time ago. Late seventies.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote