Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
oldblue

Default Re: What is Urethane paint

I gave up smoking and using single stage urethane both for health reasons . But truly it is best to spray using an air supply mask . Don't worry no one will hold a gun to your head just friendly advice .
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
Willit Stop

My .02: If you are going to use a metallic color,I'd choose a base/clear urethane.Repairs are easier,it will not fade and the gloss is unbelievable.Comparing single stage urethane to acrylic enamel,urethane is superior but a catalyzed acrylic enamel is pretty good.If your car will be in the weather most of the time,urethane would be the way to go.If it will be garaged 99% of the time I'd choose acrylic enamel if there is a huge difference in price.I painted my 49 C**** pickup 25 years ago with AE and it still looks OK.Wet sanding and buffing can be done on either type.As far as safety goes,a good respirator is most important and if there is a gas water heater or clothes dryer around,turn off the pilot lights. Good luck
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
barnfind

Never had a weed, cigarette, or cigar in my mouth but
I used urethane with ordinary masks when I was younger and dumber but got some education about the dangers in the last few years.

Don't believe the stuff is deadly?
http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...yurethane-base
http://www.sp2.org/newsletters/sp2vo...1iss8topic.php

Case - Spray Painting (Resulted in Death)*

A 37-year-old male, self-employed car painter was admitted to the hospital with asthma symptoms. These symptoms had first started five years earlier and even then were thought to be related to his occupation. Apparently shop conditions were poor and he was not trained and/or decided not to adopt safe working habits or use protective personal equipment. He had been working in the same work environment for more than 20 years.

The man was diagnosed by a doctor with occupational asthma “induced by Isocyanates”. Medical experts advised him to change his job or avoid the use of two part or catalyzed polyurethane paints. In spite of the advice, he continued to work. He used medications such as bronchodilators, cromolyn, and steroids to self medicate and treat his condition.

Six years later, and in spite of doctors’ recommendations, the painter was still working. While spraying a car with an isocyanate paint, he developed a more severe, prolonged asthma condition. Despite medication, he remained symptomatic, especially at night. When he returned to work and sprayed the polyurethane paint yet again, he suffered a severe asthma attack. He died in the ambulance enroute to the hospital.

There are other article if you go looking for them.
If you feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest after spraying - good news - it may improve in a few years.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind View Post
Never had a weed, cigarette, or cigar in my mouth but
I used urethane with ordinary masks when I was younger and dumber but got some education about the dangers in the last few years.

Don't believe the stuff is deadly?
http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...yurethane-base
http://www.sp2.org/newsletters/sp2vo...1iss8topic.php

Case - Spray Painting (Resulted in Death)*

A 37-year-old male, self-employed car painter was admitted to the hospital with asthma symptoms. These symptoms had first started five years earlier and even then were thought to be related to his occupation. Apparently shop conditions were poor and he was not trained and/or decided not to adopt safe working habits or use protective personal equipment. He had been working in the same work environment for more than 20 years.

The man was diagnosed by a doctor with occupational asthma “induced by Isocyanates”. Medical experts advised him to change his job or avoid the use of two part or catalyzed polyurethane paints. In spite of the advice, he continued to work. He used medications such as bronchodilators, cromolyn, and steroids to self medicate and treat his condition.

Six years later, and in spite of doctors’ recommendations, the painter was still working. While spraying a car with an isocyanate paint, he developed a more severe, prolonged asthma condition. Despite medication, he remained symptomatic, especially at night. When he returned to work and sprayed the polyurethane paint yet again, he suffered a severe asthma attack. He died in the ambulance enroute to the hospital.

There are other article if you go looking for them.
If you feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest after spraying - good news - it may improve in a few years.
There you go, prolonged exposure is very bad resulting in death. Short term exposure is not good. I bought a breathing air mask for about $500. Cheap insurance IMHO. I see people on the collector car shows spraying with just an organic vapor mask. Not me. My lungs deserve more. I mix the paint using an organic vapor mask and spray with breathing air.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
There you go, prolonged exposure is very bad resulting in death. Short term exposure is not good. I bought a breathing air mask for about $500. Cheap insurance IMHO. I see people on the collector car shows spraying with just an organic vapor mask. Not me. My lungs deserve more. I mix the paint using an organic vapor mask and spray with breathing air.
The guy who sprays a car once in a lifetime or maybe once every few years cannot justify spending that kind of money on the proper equipment. Just the price of the paint alone is pretty restrictive. Thats why we do it at home...we can't afford the price the pros get for painting. I guess I am pushing my luck because I have never had any symptoms from spraying catalyzed paint with only a filter mask. I may never spray it again since I found a source for acrylic lacquer (which I think comes out better). From my experience I think that long term use certainly is bad news but I have yet to hear of someone being injured with just one or two painting jobs.
Thats my opinion and 2˘.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
joel

If you do a whole car from bare metal to color sanded and buffed, you're going to have a very minimum of $1500 in materials; so , for another $500 in a fresh air mask you can live to enjoy it. Resell the system when you're finished and save someone elses health. JMO
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
billwill

Dummy
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #28
thirt4

Interesting information. First - I do not smoke so that is not my problem.
As my resto goes along, during the past month / month and half, my coupe was undergoing sand / prime / sand / prime, etc. several coats.
I suspect I am not speaking to any true medical doctors here, but I could be mistaken.
During that time, my skin broke out in a most severe open wound rash accompanied by an itch that was / is unbearable. So far, the docs have not been able to bring it under control.
When I mentioned this experience to the docs, it was largely blown off as a non-contributor.
Since I was not wearing ANY protective apparel, is this what is being described as the side effects to this "isocyonate" exposure?
Just wondering.
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
barnfind

tshirt4 - this information is not hard to find if the doctors are given a reason to look:

from http://www.cawcouncil4000.com/hse/isocyanates.html

Skin: Prolonged or repeated skin contact with isocyanates causes severe inflammation, redness, rash, swelling, blistering, burns,
skin discolouration and hardening of the skin.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
37fordpickup

I used a 2 part urethane to paint my rims. I set up in the driveway in front of the garage and sprayed with no mask. A few days later I had the worst cough ever which lasted for a couple weeks. I have learned my lesson and won't be painting again with urethanes.
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote