Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Rex Perry

Default Outside Mirror Mounts

I am in the process of installing outside mirrors on my early 1930 Tudor. These mirrors had Vintique packaging but were sold by Bratton's.
The inside width of the mirror mount is smaller than the outside width of the upper hinge resulting in an interference fit especially when they are forced into position.
It appears that I will need to either remove some material from the hinges or the mirror mounts to get a correct fit.
Has anyone heard of this problem and what has been the best way to correct it?
Thanks,
Rex Perry
Rex Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Russ B

Default Re: Outside Mirror Mounts

I made my own mirror arms and had them cast. When fitting the arms, I measured a number of hinges on my different models, and found they did vary a bit, enough that a tight fit on one would be either loose on another or too tight to assemble. On mine, I ground the bracket a bit using a Dynafile (small width pneumatic belt sander), filing the hinge a bit would also be an alternative, assuming they are not already finish painted. Someone else may know if the hinges are hardened metal. If so, filing the mirror arm would be the better option.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Why not return to Brattons and get a set that .fit properly. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Perry View Post
These mirrors had Vintique packaging but were sold by Bratton's.
Well Rex. There's the problem right there. NOTHING Vintique makes fits properly, IMO. Sorry I don't have any suggestions other than what you already mentioned except maybe return them to Bratton's.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

I purchased the same mirror mounts for my '30 Tudor and found the same thing. I opened up the inside of the mount.

I would rather modify an incorrectly made aftermarket part to properly fit the original Ford part than screw with the original Ford part.

That is what I did and that's my opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
Lee Mitch

I had the same problem with my MAC's ordered mirror. 1 fit, I had to modify the other. Mine are hinge mount, where the mirror bracket goes above and below the hinge. I assume yours are the same. In order to "spread" the bracket (I didn't have to move it too much) I inserted a long threaded bolt through one leg of the bracket, screwed on 2 nuts far enough to insert the end of the bolt through the other leg of the bracket. Note that the nuts are now threaded onto the bolt between the legs, and either end of the bolt is sticking out of the leg holes. Thread each nut away from each other, against each leg. The nuts will force the legs apart. A little wax on each arm will help with scratches, but I didn't worry about it since these would be covered with the hinge when mounted. I hope I didn't confuse you. It worked perfectly for me.
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Rex Perry

Thanks to all for the comments. I decided, like Chris W. to modify the mirror mount rather than mess up an original Ford part.
I am not sure what the mount material is but it is only mildly magnetic and not horribly hard. Maybe some sort of pot metal. Anyway, the only real damage was done to the chrome plating on the inside of the mirror mount after working it over with a 3" abrasive disk. A little wax or clear nail polish should provide adequate corrosion protection.
Rex Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
mshmodela

OK what I did was to buy the mirror that are just for the driver's side and to not fit into the door hinge. I them added small el CHEAP mirror to each (convex mirror) that stick on... WORKS WONDERS, looks mostly normal --aside from the little mirrors, does my 10 point car fine

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

Had no problem when I mounted mine some years back.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote