Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
cabrioletgalaxie

Exclamation 1947 back up light switch bracket

I have acquired a back up light switch for my '47. It is a plunger type that mounts with a bracket, so I am told, on the steering column. I am looking for the bracket. A couple photos might help if someone has one in place that could tell me how to fabricate it. I have never seen one so do not know if it is a cast piece of flat stock which could be cut and shaped to fit.
Any help is appreciated.
David
[email protected]
207-590-0180
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: 1947 back up light switch bracket

David, I have the Ford back-up-light on my '47....think it was an original Ford accessory. The switch is a "push/pull" that's mounted on the dash (left of steering column) between the headlight switch and the throttle pull. Guessing that the hole for it was drilled by the dealer for installation. It looks like it belongs there, right next to the light switch. The dash light dimmer rheostat is underneath the dash, over by and just to the right of the E brake handle.

Hope this helps.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
meric42

Here is what you need

https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/ford...er=51A-15517-A

It mounts on the column on the inner bolt that holds the shift arm support between the steering box and the firewall. Hope this helps?

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
cabrioletgalaxie

Merc42 thank you. That is a simple bracket and hard to believe someone reproduces it. I will check out support that holds the shift arm to see if I can imaging how it fits.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
Merc42 thank you. That is a simple bracket and hard to believe someone reproduces it. I will check out support that holds the shift arm to see if I can imaging how it fits.
I can take a photo of mine when I get home from work if you need that?

Old 09-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
cabrioletgalaxie

Meric42, that would be fantastic. I appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
meric42

Here are the pic's as promised
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200907_164942 sm.jpg (58.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20200907_165050 sm.jpg (58.7 KB, 75 views)

Old 09-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
RKS.PA

David and meric42, I sure learned something about the Ford backup light from these posts!! If I understand this correctly, the light goes on when the shift lever goes into reverse and off when shifted out of reverse?

Makes my toggle switch on the dash seem kind of "primitive"!! (But, it was there when I bought the car.)

David, thank you for posting your question and meric42 for posting those two great pictures and the source of the bracket at C&G Ford parts!!!
Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
tubman

I added a repo backup light switch and bracket to my '51. It fir perfectly. When I cleaned up the backup lights themselves, I came to the opinion that were pretty big and "klunky" and I decided not to use them. So I am using it to activate my backup camera. (Once you get used to having one, they're nice to have.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
RKS.PA

Denny, I'd say better than "nice". How about "essential"? Lots of mishaps avoided. Happy to see universal on new cars now.

Clever the way you hooked it up!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #11
cabrioletgalaxie

The photos help a lot. I'll be ordering that part from C&G and hopefully the switch should install early. I'll just have to wire it in. The one if the photo is somewhat different than the one that is being shipped to me. but maybe there are variations due to different vendors.
In any case it should make the back up lights installation more correct.
These lights are about 3" in diameter and I think are repros but very similar if not the same as the originals but have no Ford marking on them.
The worst part of the '46-'48s are their R rear view mirror. They are only for show, as they cannot be seen by the driver. Useless. The L side isn't much better.
Thanks again to all who contributed and especially toe '42Meric for the info and photos. Helps a lot. Any idea how the wiring is attached and from where? I noticed the wiring is missing on the switch.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
RKS.PA

David, certainly agree with you, re the mirrors. Right side is decoration only....totally worthless. So, got a windwing mirror...part#A17700WW in Mac's catalog and mounted on the crank out vent glass. Put a convex stick on mirror of the same size. Can now see everything in the right blind spot. With the top up, the inside mirror is worthless, but I'm good with the left outside one for checking the left lane.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
fatso2114

Quote:
I have acquired a back up light switch for my '47. It is a plunger type that mounts with a bracket, so I am told, on the steering column. I am looking for the bracket. A couple photos might help if someone has one in place that could tell me how to fabricate it. I have never seen one so do not know if it is a cast piece of flat stock which could be cut and shaped to fit.
Any help is appreciated.
David
[email protected]
207-590-0180
Hello, it mounts on the steering column down by the shifting rods,when put in reverse the rod comes up and contacts the plunger on the switch pushing it in to energize the switch make sure your power comes off the key or the light will stay on if left in reverse when motor is off thus killing your battery . The bracket can sometimes be found on eBay good luck John
fatso2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #14
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I added a repo backup light switch and bracket to my '51. It fir perfectly. When I cleaned up the backup lights themselves, I came to the opinion that were pretty big and "klunky" and I decided not to use them. So I am using it to activate my backup camera. (Once you get used to having one, they're nice to have.)
Where did you mount the camera, and more importantly, the screen?
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post
Where did you mount the camera, and more importantly, the screen?
I mounted the camera on the rear license plate. That was the easy part. The screen is he hard part. Currently, I have it temporarily mounted on the dash board above the radio. It is not a good place, and I am currently looking for a rear view mirror with an integral screen (they are too expensive now, in my opinion). Also, routing the video cable is a problem.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:24 AM   #16
Ian NZ

Quote:
The photos help a lot. I'll be ordering that part from C&G and hopefully the switch should install early. I'll just have to wire it in. The one if the photo is somewhat different than the one that is being shipped to me. but maybe there are variations due to different vendors.
In any case it should make the back up lights installation more correct.
These lights are about 3" in diameter and I think are repros but very similar if not the same as the originals but have no Ford marking on them.
The worst part of the '46-'48s are their R rear view mirror. They are only for show, as they cannot be seen by the driver. Useless. The L side isn't much better.
Thanks again to all who contributed and especially toe '42Meric for the info and photos. Helps a lot. Any idea how the wiring is attached and from where? I noticed the wiring is missing on the switch.
What would a original back up light for a 1947 Ford V8 look like I would say there would only be one light anyway.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #17
Frank Miller

When wired as original on my 49 ford the backup lights only come on when the headlights are on. I guess they were originally meant for night use before someone figured out that they make a good signal for those outside the car of the driver's intention to back up.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
What would a original back up light for a 1947 Ford V8 look like I would say there would only be one light anyway.

Ian, here are two pics of mine. One light on the left side rear. Second picture shows...I hope...."Ford" inscribed on the top of the light.

Light is operated by a push/pull switch on the dash. Have no way to verify now, but think this was a dealer installed option at the time of original car purchase.

Backup Light 1.jpg

Backup Light 2.jpg
Old 09-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Ian, here are two pics of mine. One light on the left side rear. Second picture shows...I hope...."Ford" inscribed on the top of the light.

Light is operated by a push/pull switch on the dash. Have no way to verify now, but think this was a dealer installed option at the time of original car purchase.

Attachment 442597

Attachment 442598
A dash switch? I've only seen the switch that's mounted to the steering column. Hmm...
Old 09-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #20
coolcoupe

I have a 49/50 backup light bracket and switch that I installed and works on my 47 car.
It just took awhile to figure out how to mount it so it works !!
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote