Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
speedway

Default 1936 roadster front seat question

Is a 36 roadster seat and a 36 3 window coupe seat the same? If not does someone have pictures of the seat pan and back for a roadster?
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1936 roadster front seat question

I don't have photos, but those seats are totally different. I do have a new repo back cushion for a 36 roadster if interested.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
Don Rogers

Speedway, 35/36 roadsters did not have adjustable seats. The bottom seat frame sat on a wooden frame as shown below. It was trimmed as shown below. In the front corners of the frame were 2 metal pins that stuck up and fitted into a hole in each front corner of the seat bottom. You could remove the seat bottom and store tools etc. underneath, but no seat adjustment. The seat back frame was fixed in place and could not lift up like in a coupe. The gap between the seat bottom frame and seat back was filled with a metal plate(again shown below.

Hope this helps a little.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1b59_1edit.jpg (35.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1181.jpg (220.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg x17.jpg (223.9 KB, 88 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
speedway

Don and TJ Thanks for the info it would appear that my roadster has the correct seat. Any way to move the seat back for a little more leg room? I am 6'4", would not be opposed to cutting down the package tray/top boot to give me more room to slide the seat back a couple of inches. If I trimmed an inch or two off the side boards where it sticks off past the rear support board would that work to move the assembly back? This is my first roadster, was always able to move the seat a little on the 3 windows I have owned.
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
TJ

You could shorten the package shelf and also move the bottom cushion back on the seat riser. The other option is to use a seat from a late model SUV and mount it to your existing framing. I did this in my '41 pickup to give me more leg room. I did it without modifying the stock seat riser and it moved me down about 3' and back a little over 2". I know it's not stock, but it works and I didn't have to remove any stock components. Got the seat with nice upholstery at Pick-N-Pull for $50. You should be able to mount the seat on the existing (or new) plywood base where your old cushion now resides. If you remove the seat tracks on the new seat it will also lower you about another inch. Just an idea that may work for you.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
deuce lover

I had a '35 roadster which has the same interior compartment.The package tray area is designed for the top when folded to fit in there.If you move or alter the package tray and move the seat back the top won't fit in there properly.I even sold the orig seat and used thinner retro style bucket seats to get more legroom.The person who I sold the car to is as tall as you had this very problem.He ended up selling the car as he could not get comfortable.The other option is to have a lift off top or don't fold it down ever.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
flatheadrunners

Missing the metal side plate on my 35 need a better photo of it.. How does it attach? Could someone make a pattern of one and send it to me ? would pay for cost and shipping

Thanks
flatheadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote