Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Doug Money

Default Re: Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

Thornridge class of 79
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Doug Money

I used to do freelance work at the marina along the tracks at 138th and Cottage Grove. It looks like it is called Marine Services now.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
yachtsmanbill

Yeah... John Walsh and Fred Baron took over from Bob Dolegale in about '85 or so. Now John Jr. runs it. Kept my Roamer there in 1982 and it was a dive then. Its substantially better now. What kinda freelance work did you do?
Thornridge was at 142nd and Cottage Grove right? I knew several grads from the early 70's I worked with at Edison. Greg Wills with a twin sister, Dave Dzialikewicz, Robin Muldoon to name a few... ws
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #24
Doug Money

I worked on a few of the peoples boats, but not for the marina. This was in about 1983. Yes it was pretty much a dive then. I know the marina didn't like me being there and wanted all of the work themselves. Thornridge is at Sibley and Cottage.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
yachtsmanbill

Sorry... I meant 147th and I know the difference!

So hows the weather out there? Just about the whole midwest got nailed except for about a 4 square mile area right on the shores of balmy Lake Michigan in beautiful Two Rivers, and Im right in the middle of that. I shoveled 1/4" of slush off the sidewalk before that freezes, and about 6 blocks to the west got 10". Maybe my luck is changing... ws
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Doug Money

Nothing here yet. Temp is down to 31 but no white stuff. We always miss the weather here. Everyone says it's the cooling lakes that shifts everything a little north or a little south.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
yachtsmanbill

I know the cooling lakes are regulated for quantity and are deep well supplied. Are the mines low on water? Lake Michigan is getting critically low and we REALLY need a wet winter! ws
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
Doug Money

No, we are fine here. I remember back in '88, it became critical and they brought in heavy equipment and dug a trench several miles long connecting all of the cooling lakes to cool the plant. They went right through roads and people's yards. They had a court order and wasted no time.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
yachtsmanbill

Have a gander at the swap meet side. Just listed a pile of stuff! ws
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #30
yachtsmanbill

BE FOREWARNED !!! Spam and pfishing is rampant across the hall mainly from the classified section. posted an ad here last week and finally got hit. This is about the most BLATANT attempt yet. Feel free to pass this info along. Is it ever gonna cease???? ws

Hello,

How are you doing? I want to be honest with you this is not legal,but I have a way for you to earn money from home without getting into trouble. You will not be involved in the cashing of checks because if you do you will end up getting into trouble with them.
So I have designed this offer specifically for you because I do not want you to get into trouble, I have contacts everywhere in the USA whom I am supposed to send these counterfeit checks to but because I'm here in the U.K and unable to send them directly to these contacts so I need someone who lives in the USA who will help receive my checks in Bulk and then forward them in single shipments to my contacts.
You will not face any harm whatsoever as you will not cash any check, only receive and forward so as to cut down my expense of sending directly from here. This Offer will be of no monetary expense to you as I will pay for all shipping costs as well as put you on a very good weekly wage that we will agree on.
Once you have agreed to work with me, I will forward you a list of all the contacts as well as my FedEx account information which you will need to ship the checks without spending any money.
If you are interested reply me, thanks and hope to hear from you shortly.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
yachtsmanbill

Finally bit the bullet and decided to go out to the shop and get something done. The wife came back from Texa last week for some back work and finally got her resting peacefully. I snuck out for a few hours... man are my feetuses out of practice!
As most of you know, Ive been converting the blaster to a 12 volt system. Originally with a six volt system, the hot wire came off the foot switch to the terminal block then one wire up to the ammeter and distributed from there. This system is using a voltmeter and the terminal ended up with 5 wires on the hot post. That was crowding things a bit, so I install another block with 8 terminals, which eased the overcrowding a bit.
Theres now a voltmeter with an on/off switch and a place to tie the new 12 volt alternator into the battery system. Thats tomorrow. So far so good; all connections are good and not even a little arc at the battery post in the dark! (in other words, no grounds!) ws

FWIW... that was a new battery last April, with an original charge on it. Ran all summer (on mag) with a shitload of starts, and its sat since October and STILL has about 10 jolts left in it. Thats still plenty of 12 volt starter cranking! She spun right over with 10w40.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
yachtsmanbill

So the proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Got these guys fired up today. Nothing like 10 volts running 12 volt lights that are brighterthanheck. ws
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
yachtsmanbill

Now that most of the electric is done its time to commence working on the windshield. This is gonna be an early open car top half with a stationary cowl part of wood. The WS will stan up and back at 20 degrees or lay forward flat and parallel to the hood.
I always recycle old stuff if I can. The material for this came out of a door left over from my 65 foot Hatteras project. The stuff is 5/4 teak from door stiles. Doweled and glued with Gorilla Glue... Hellascious stuff and as strong as epoxy! Dont get it on your hands! It takes a week to wear off!
So the stuff is glued and doweled and clamped overnight. Today the clamps came off and the whole part got belt sanded flat. Its just like a piece of furniture only different... ws

Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #34
yachtsmanbill

Pretty reasonable fit-up considering I dont have a joiner. The glue is jointed at 100% with a bunch squeezed out. This morning afetr the unclamping, I take a sharp wood chisel and scrape the excess off before the belt sanding.
I mustve ate a pound of dust and snorted a quart! The ol' snotbox is stuffed solid with dust! After the sanding it got a rubdown with mineral spirits for effect. 20 coats of varnish is gonna look SUHWEET! ws

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
yachtsmanbill

Lots of measurements, layout work, then ruff in a template with cardboard. This part is gonna have many multiple compound curves and Im not sure if Ill try for a perfect fit, use some 1/4" fender welting for a seal or leave a 1/4" "reveal" gap between the wood and the cowl. JUDGES??? Gimme some input woodja?? ws

Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
Jack Innes

How about leaving a gap as you suggest but rout a T slot across the bottom near the front & back to accept open car windshield weatherstrip fed in from the end? The rubber can lay out on the cowl to seal the gap & look
like an opening windshield. This would allow everything to move around a bit without stress.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
yachtsmanbill

Stress with vibration and body twisting is a concern for sure... I dont know if the T slot is feasable tho... thats why I was thinking along the lines of some larger fender welting stapled to the bottom of the frame; maybe front and back. Hmm... ws

Then theres the issue of the glass to wood gap. Same deal, but I can tack a strip or deflector in place once I figger out the geometry of the opening (actually laying down) of the glass to the wood. Wind isnt really too much of an issue but rain water blowin' up under my hood, I knew that was doin' my motor good... slite drift pal; Im shot!!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #38
dumb person

Fender welting. And the glass to wood gap can be the rubber stuff if you want to i guess.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
yachtsmanbill

So this fender welting runs a 1/4" bead. Id really like someting about 3/8" and a flat bottom profile. I used to have a ton of specialty shops for this stuff but a few years ago the bozoputer crashed and they all went away
Any leads are appreciated. Came down with the friggin' flue this morning so dont get too close to the screen... LOL ws

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230774053804...804%26_rdc%3D1

Also in need of some weatherstripping for the glass edge. I may slice some 1/2" black fuel line but if I could see some profiles that would be cool. Then theres a pair of these guys front and rear... Im an old school greaser... what can I say??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330857851500...500%26_rdc%3D1
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #40
Jack Innes

Bill,

This goes between the upper & lower w/s panels on an open T. It has the lip that could hang down to form the seal at the bottom of your glass. I have used it like that on a boat windshield - 1936 Seabird.

I restored an MG TD a few years back & found they use fender welt with a 1/2" bead. It also comes in colors. I am sure there are MG suppliers still out there. (The Prince of Darkness was a deciding factor in selling all of my British cars! - Even though my mother's maiden name was Lucas.)

Last edited by Jack Innes; 01-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote