Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
acereske

Default New alternator install

I have a 1936 Ford Fordor sedan humpback with original V8 and 6 volt generator with positive ground. I am considering installing a positive ground 6 volt alternator to improve electrical for lighting purposes. Is it difficult? Should I purchase a kit? What do I do beginning to end? Al

Last edited by acereske; 03-12-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: additional information
acereske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: New alternator install

Assuming that you are still 6 volt positive ground. Here are a couple of options:
909-794-1600
https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ite...ive-Ground.htm
https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ite...to-Packard.htm

They have 12 volt conversion alternators as well. I used them for the 1 wire GM alternator for the 8ba in my '39 p/u as well as a 12 volt starter. Had an issue with the starter but they fixed it no problem.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
acereske

Thanks for the information. You mentioned 1 wire hook up. To where and does it have to be a thicker wire like the other wiring throughout the chassis?
acereske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
flatheadmurre

Donīt go for a high output alternator...2 good reasons...wiring ainīt designed to handle it...and belt doesnīt handle a lot of power without tightening it hard which will affect your waterpumps.
If your battery is in good shape you will be fine with the wiring no big loads on a stock -35.
Alternator will only put out what is needed...so stock wire will work if you keep battery charged and donīt add a lot of extra stuff.
A 10SI is more then you will ever need...in itīs simplest low output version.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Fordestes

I use 45 amp 10 s I Delco alternator converted to a 1 wire, no problems for 20 plus years . There are wide belt pulley conversions available for about $12.00 they come with special nut ,pulley and fan (well worth the money), I use a pulley from an 8B A generator also. it fits the Delco shaft but a washer cant be used due to shaft length.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Good lighting can also be 6V. I have direct fit halogen bulbs in my A ,running on the generator , my lights are lighting the road as far as seal beams do
Alternator needs to turn faster than the generator, the fan on the generator is made to run at the generator speed
It doesn't matter how bright the bulbs are if the reflectors are tarnished or the bulb/ reflector shape or positioning are wrong and focus is bad
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

I have a 6v pos ground alternator on my 40 coupe, a generator would be too long due to the Holley 4bbl I have. Easy install. I took a bad voltage regulator and gutted the inside, and used the Battery terminal on it as the place the wire from the Alternator connected. Basically using the Vreg as a junction block. This way you can keep all the original wiring. I left the Arm and fld wires hooked up there and just taped the ends near where they would connect to the generator if I had one. These 2 wires will have no voltage in them. I did this with brand new wiring from Chris Olsen from Bend Oregon (541-410-8929). (If you have iffy wiring you should replace it, whether you have an ALT or Gen.) All your other gauges and switches will work as it did before the swap.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
JasonOC

I'd go for 6V if I were you and, small tip, take it to a shop for installation, better safe than sorry if you don't have experience.
JasonOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
Tom-MI

The generator vs. alternator is not the problem, it is how are you are planning to cool the engine. If you want to use the original fan you have a big-time problem. The fan seat diameter is larger than the smaller alternator pulley. To get around this there are special pulleys that have a larger plate welded to the fromt of the smaller pulley that will allow you to bolt the '36 fan to the smaller diameter pulley. This is a short term fix. The alternator bearing won't take the extra load of the fan assembly for very long. The second problem is the fan spins at a super fast speed, even at an idle. It's scarry! You can imagine how fast the fan will be spinning at 45 mph!

If you get a chance contact Randy Rundle 785-632-3450 Fifth Ave Auto.
Tom-MI is offline   Reply With Quote