Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 08:53 PM   #21
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
UPS ground delivered to your door restrictions are: 100 lbs max, 8' long max. 500 miles away you would have it in 3 days. I continue to stress proper packaging to avoid damage, and yes the weight of the packaging counts.
That sound greats but I was trying to avoid packaging by the seller. Maybe he can just take it to a UPS outlet and have it done. Will check it out.

I had Fed Ex ship an Olds crankshaft and the stupid guy dropped it on my brick stairs and broke it in two!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #22
tomcarman
Senior Member
 
tomcarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Rochester Wa
Posts: 142
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
That sound greats but I was trying to avoid packaging by the seller. Maybe he can just take it to a UPS outlet and have it done. Will check it out.

I had Fed Ex ship an Olds crankshaft and the stupid guy dropped it on my brick stairs and broke it in two!
I've posted before that I've been in shipping for 10 years. The package handlers are hired for their strength, stamina and speed, not their intelligence. Most I've seen belong in the NFL by looking at their physique. If I were going to ship this item I would build a small crate out of perhaps 2 x 2's and 7/16" OSB and thoroughly pack it with THICK and durable cardboard, foam or other such materials as to lessen the impact when being handled. It is possible that taking it to a retail UPS store and the seller explains the situation that the packer will double or even triple box it with padding. Most likely it will ship just fine as most packages do. I would accept the double or triple boxing at the store so long as it was padded properly.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #23
CA Victoria
Senior Member
 
CA Victoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Fastenal website states only shipping business to business and not to their stores.
Greyhound is an option.
If you have a business connection, Golden State Overnight ships but must have an account. They can do a pickup for you If you know someone in the wine business in SD using GSO, they are widely used to ship product.

QUOTED from Fastenal: https://www.fastenal.com/en/4590/blue-lane-freight
__________________
Tim
Downtown, Ca

Last edited by CA Victoria; 04-20-2020 at 01:54 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #24
Lanny
Senior Member
 
Lanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mn
Posts: 1,702
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

A little over a month ago, I shipped a v/8 60 Transmission from the Fastenal store
here in MN., to a Fastenal store in GA., to a fellow Fordbarner.
He received it at the Fastenal store near him in GA., in less than a week.




.
__________________
I live on tuff street, the further ya go,
the tuffer they git,
I live in the last house on the block !!!
___________________________________________

You bet ya, I wear the pants in My family --------
So What, if She tells me which ones to wear ?
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #25
TJ
Senior Member
 
TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Napa,California
Posts: 4,479
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
The order is in place by the governor but I have no idea if its being enforced. Traffic on I5 is very light up and down the state.
I seriously doubt that the Highway Patrol is stopping people and asking them where they are going to make sure their trip is "essential".
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #26
Tim Ayers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,594
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34coupe View Post
Gray hound, Bus
Going to mention this. If still running, absolute cheapest way for large, heavy items.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #27
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Call your Fastenal store and ask about it. If it is just the rearend you can strap it on a pallet and they will ship it to there nearest store to the receiver.
Reasonable
John
They don't do that anymore.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #28
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
I've posted before that I've been in shipping for 10 years. The package handlers are hired for their strength, stamina and speed, not their intelligence. Most I've seen belong in the NFL by looking at their physique. If I were going to ship this item I would build a small crate out of perhaps 2 x 2's and 7/16" OSB and thoroughly pack it with THICK and durable cardboard, foam or other such materials as to lessen the impact when being handled. It is possible that taking it to a retail UPS store and the seller explains the situation that the packer will double or even triple box it with padding. Most likely it will ship just fine as most packages do. I would accept the double or triple boxing at the store so long as it was padded properly.
The problem here is I am not the sender but the receiver. All this hassle makes me want to just drive up and avoid all that packing.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #29
51504bat
Senior Member
 
51504bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SoCal-Redlands
Posts: 1,461
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
The problem here is I am not the sender but the receiver. All this hassle makes me want to just drive up and avoid all that packing.

That's what I did when I sold a flathead to a guy near Yuba City. We agreed on a price for delivery and I left at zero dark thirty and got there around 11 am after missing LA traffic. Unloaded the engine, fueled up and was on the way back to SoCal by noon. I was able to miss Scaramento rush hour traffic but did hit some LA traffic. All in all it was a nice drive thru the central valley on the 99.
__________________
Making the simple complicated for over 30 years.
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #30
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
UPS ground delivered to your door restrictions are: 100 lbs max, 8' long max. 500 miles away you would have it in 3 days. I continue to stress proper packaging to avoid damage, and yes the weight of the packaging counts.
Now the weight limit is 150 lbs. max and length is 9 feet.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #31
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
That's what I did when I sold a flathead to a guy near Yuba City. We agreed on a price for delivery and I left at zero dark thirty and got there around 11 am after missing LA traffic. Unloaded the engine, fueled up and was on the way back to SoCal by noon. I was able to miss Scaramento rush hour traffic but did hit some LA traffic. All in all it was a nice drive thru the central valley on the 99.
I would have to go about 300 miles further (round trip) than you went. I am south of San Diego.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #32
ford38v8
Senior Member
 
ford38v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,200
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Hit the road, Jack. No better traffic or weather than right now.
__________________
Alan
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #33
oldford2
Senior Member
 
oldford2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: pittsfield, MA
Posts: 1,992
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
They don't do that anymore.
Did you actually call them ?
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #34
Lanny
Senior Member
 
Lanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mn
Posts: 1,702
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Did you actually call them ?
===============================================


As I said in a previous post, I just made a Fastenal shiment a little
over a month ago, BUT, I just called them and as of a few days ago,
they are suspending any customer shipping untill further notice.




.
__________________
I live on tuff street, the further ya go,
the tuffer they git,
I live in the last house on the block !!!
___________________________________________

You bet ya, I wear the pants in My family --------
So What, if She tells me which ones to wear ?
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #35
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Did you actually call them ?
It's on their website. Might be due to the virus??
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #36
Ol' Ron
Senior Member
 
Ol' Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chester Vt
Posts: 7,463
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Go to a junkyard and ask them to ship it. They do this all the time. We shipped and received parts all the time for our customers. Pulled seat belts from the cars and screwed everything down with them for everything e\we shipped on a skid.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #37
philipswanson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bonita, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Go to a junkyard and ask them to ship it. They do this all the time. We shipped and received parts all the time for our customers. Pulled seat belts from the cars and screwed everything down with them for everything e\we shipped on a skid.
Junkyards closed with Stay At Home rules.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #38
CA Victoria
Senior Member
 
CA Victoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Phil,
I need to make a run to temecula after this CV stuff lightens up. If you can get it to central cal i can bring it down.
__________________
Tim
Downtown, Ca
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #39
RalphM
Senior Member
 
RalphM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 2,462
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Just wrap it up real good with face masks, or toilet paper, boom! It’s now essential, go get it!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #40
Tim Ayers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,594
Default Re: Shipping a Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Go to a junkyard and ask them to ship it. They do this all the time. We shipped and received parts all the time for our customers. Pulled seat belts from the cars and screwed everything down with them for everything e\we shipped on a skid.
Interesting. I never thought of this.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.