Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
KMeredith87

Default RHD Pedal covers/pads

Trying to track down some of the rubber pedal covers for the right hand drive round pedals, does anyone know where you can find them? Additionally as far as right hand drive parts go what would be the best resource for parts? It seems to be very difficult to find front steering parts and parts for the intake manifold...any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: RHD Pedal covers/pads

What intake parts do you need,and I have an old original RH pedal plate I could take a pic of.
Lawrie
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Synchro909

Get in touch with Sammy Guthrie at Arizona Model A ((480) 782-0266). He has some RHD parts.
Welcome to the problems faced by US suppliers who seem to ignore that RHD exists. Some of the differences are to be expected but there are others more subtle. For example, the shaft that the brake and clutch pedal mount on is 1" diameter, not 7/8". You won't buy pedal bushes (Sammy had some a while ago) or the stepped collar that goes on the end of the shaft.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
pooch

If you cannot locate a RHD intake manifold, not too hard to make a stud and weld it on .

I am sure a local rubber vendor here sells the covers , he will be at the next swap meet this weekend.

I forget the diameter of the round pedal tho.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
dave in australia

Try here, not my site, nor am I anyway affiliated with it.

http://www.earlyfordparts.co.nz/right_hand_drive.htm
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
KMeredith87

Thanks Dave, will check it out for sure. I was able to track down the intake but it doesn't have the little arms that go on the stud nor do I have the linkage for it. I'm learning all kinds of things about Model A's I didn't know with this adventure into the RHD.
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMeredith87 View Post
Thanks Dave, will check it out for sure. I was able to track down the intake but it doesn't have the little arms that go on the stud nor do I have the linkage for it. I'm learning all kinds of things about Model A's I didn't know with this adventure into the RHD.
Just a little tip if you are putting the exhaust on the manifold. Be VERY careful how you place the clamp. It only has to be out a little and you can't use the clutch. There is VERY LITTLE room for the pedal to go between the exhaust and the block. The clamp usually fouls the pedal till you learn the trick.
In fact, over here, we can buy a clamp that uses no nuts just to make it easier.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #8
quickchange

We stock most RHD parts here in NZ , Will be at Pate swap meet, Round pedals never had rubbers , but we can get them if you want them , can post or bring to pate, re pedal bushes, simple use small end rod bushes , you will need 3 . Exhaust clamp , when dressing manifold for straightness always machine, grind more off the top edge , kicks it out a little , or cut heads off bolt & weld, braze to one 1/2 of clamp.
[email protected] Don,t always have everything but 46 years of collecting . Derek
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
RHD

I stock a good collection of RHD parts including inlet manifolds. I have also written books on RHD vehicles. "The Right Hand Drive Ford Model 'A' ", "The Complete Model 'A' Ford Restoration Manual", 'The beginner's Guide To The Model A' Ford". See Mikes Affordable, Arizona Model 'A' or Snyder's etc (most suppliers stock my books) or contact myself for a full list of books offered for sale in the USA and parts available.
Les, Pearson.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:26 AM   #10
pooch

I think the RHD exhaust manifold clamp uses a special bolt to clear the clutch pedal.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #11
RHD

The RHD and LHD exhaust manifold clamp bolts are all the same. For RHD the trick is in the positioning of the bolts. There is only one possible satisfactory position where the clutch pedal arm will not interfere with the clamp and bolt, and the bolts can actually be tightened without the steering column getting in the way. That is why the RHD clutch pedal arm is an odd shape. As the exhaust heats up it expands and makes any initial clearance given even tighter. I have heard many a 'choice' word spoken while an owner is trying to fit his clamp in the right position, with someone in the driving seat pushing the clutch pedal down to see if everything misses. If it touches, it makes the clutch pedal hard to push down, and when driving it can sometimes expand and stick and stay down and has to be manually pulled up. It gets quite exciting I can tell you. Much honking of horns. The clamp also has to miss the rear end of the oil return pipe, which is next to impossible. Some cars clear by a whisker and some don't. To make matters even worse, you can't really change the position immediately after driving, as everything is hot so you have to wait until it cools down. Even more choice words. See the pic below. You LHD owners, don't know how lucky you are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Scan dump 014 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg (69.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by RHD; 02-29-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typo
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD View Post
The RHD and LHD exhaust manifold clamp bolts are all the same. For RHD the trick is in the positioning of the bolts. There is only one possible satisfactory position where the clutch pedal arm will not interfere with the clamp and bolt, and the bolts can actually be tightened without the steering column getting in the way. That is why the RHD clutch pedal arm is an odd shape. As the exhaust heats up it expands and makes any initial clearance given even tighter. I have heard many a 'choice' word spoken while an owner is trying to fit his clamp in the right position, with someone in the driving seat pushing the clutch pedal down to see if everything misses. If it touches, it makes the clutch pedal hard to push down, and when driving it can sometimes expand and stick and stay down and has to be manually pulled up. It gets quite exciting I can tell you. Much honking of horns. The clamp also has to miss the rear end of the oil return pipe, which is next to impossible. Some cars clear by a whisker and some don't. To make matters even worse, you can't really change the position immediately after driving, as everything is hot so you have to wait until it cools down. Even more choice words. See the pic below. You LHD owners, don't know how lucky you are.

There is an after market clamp available for RHD which is different from the LHD ones. It uses no nuts which makes fitting much easier (possible)
As for LHD owners being lucky, I think that is only because Ford didn't consider RHD when designing these cars, which they should have done if they were to sell them in RHD countries. Seems even in those days, there was no recognition in the US that RHD exists, yet it was henry who started the change from RHD to LHD in the US. Up till the Model T, all American cars were RHD. This is one of several problems Ford designed into their cars which amount to just bad design.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
updraught

Yeah, but ... we don't end up with this birds nest. How does the accelerator pedal get to the carby? Why would the passenger have control of the choke?

updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Yeah, but ... we don't end up with this birds nest. How does the accelerator pedal get to the carby? Why would the passenger have control of the choke?

There's a a bracket on the back of the block similar to the one for the starter on our cars that takes a shaft across to the other side. I've wondered about that choke (and GAV) thing too.