Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default What the bes oil to use in a 312 engine

When I got the T-Bird the oil was very dirty and black. I had to buy a oil filter pliers to get the oil filter off. So far the car has not needed any oil added. It not very dark but I am thinking of adding a one half quart of kerosene and run the engine a few minutes to see how dirty the engine is. Is that good or bad idea? There no lifter noise, the engine sounds nice. I got all the leaks stop for now. Hever know .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DC37FB0-A9E8-4EC3-8BC6-693DB6772D8B.jpg (74.8 KB, 11 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: What the bes oil to use in a 312 engine

One of the first things that can easily get plugged up with old sludge is the shallow oil passage at the head gasket up to the rocker arms. If you're getting good oil flow to all the rocker arms I'll suggest Not doing any 'extra' cleaning. You'd run a fair chance of creating a leak or two. Just keep an eye on the oil color and change it a bit more often if it's getting dark again.

"best?" is a question that will get you more than a couple opinions...
The valve-train will appreciate an oil with a suitable amount of zinc & phosphorus in it. Some oils for diesel engines, as well as the 'classic' or 'racing' motor oils will have it. The oil spec category / code letters are shown below. The brand you pick is up to you, there are more than a few, prices can be on the high side...

~ Older engines including all early Thunderbirds have flat tappets. “Engines with flat-tappet cams have extremely high pressure loading at the contact point between the lifter crown and cam lobe”. In the past conventional motor oil included a generous supply of anti-wear additives, a combination of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP). “The zinc reacts with the cam lobe’s iron surface and creates a sacrificial coating strong enough to keep parts separated to reduce the wear.” ~
https://www.ctci.org/engine-oil/

~ "get the right oil for your classic car, with an SJ rating (meaning it offers more than 1,600 parts per million of zinc and more than 1,500 ppm of phosphorous)" ~
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...r-classic-cars

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zinc oil ratings.jpg (66.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg zinc oil rotella t.jpg (119.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VR1 copy.jpg (34.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg oil groove in head.jpg (56.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-22-2020 at 03:08 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
Old Redneck

I use 15W 40 in all my Flathead Fords. I use Rotella in my 50 Ford also. So I can use it in my T-Bird also? I want to install a Oil Pressure Gauge in the T-Bird also. I always read what you say. Thanks. Is your wife doing better now? Hope so. Ken Stewart
Old 09-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I use 15W 40 in all my Flathead Fords. I use Rotella in my 50 Ford also. So I can use it in my T-Bird also? I want to install a Oil Pressure Gauge in the T-Bird also. I always read what you say. Thanks. Is your wife doing better now? Hope so. Ken Stewart
Yes if the Rotella has the CJ-4 or SJ rating it should be fine in the '56 Bird, just like your other Fords or many other pre-emissions era vehicles.
An oil pressure gauge can be attached to any of the 4 oil galley plug fittings that's easy to get to. (photo 1)
If the kit comes with a plastic tube for oil to reach the under-dash gauge, swap it for a metal tube that won't melt or crack and spray oil everywhere.
15w-40 is fine too, hopefully cooler temps up there than over here, hi 90's and low 100's are common in the summer.

Got a call last week from the machine shop that still has the 312 out of my '57 T-Bird project. The can shaped baffle & screen at the lower end of the oil pickup tube had cracked loose and slipped down to the bottom of the pan, starving it for oil. They had to take .030 off the previously uncut main journals to get a good surface.
A previous owner had put on a remote / bypass style oil filter setup decades ago, which likely didn't help. (photo 2)
The car probably could have used a real oil pressure gauge, it might have alerted someone to the problem sooner.

Wife is about the same. She picked out the '57, hopefully it goes back together easily and she can get enough rides in it over the next couple years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil galley plugs c.jpg (71.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg charmin oil filter.jpg (54.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-21-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
paul2748

While I won't mention his name, a noted Y Block engine builder in the South only uses Valvoline conventional 10-30 or 10-40. He is dead set against diesel oil.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Chances are he has very good reasons too. That might be another vote for the Valvoline VR1 ??? or not...
Old 09-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Dobie Gillis

Diesel oil has a more robust detergent package that may be too harsh for gasoline engines over the long run. I have used it and noted that it turned black very quickly from the deposits it dissolved. I used it when I first got the Merc because I didn't know what the PO had been using. I continued using it for a few months until it stopped turning dark in a short time then switched to VR-1. The VR-1 stays pretty clean and clear between changes, suggesting the diesel oil cleaned the engine up pretty well.

Last edited by Dobie Gillis; 09-12-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #8
Ford Freak

For many years I always ran conventional 10-40 in my '57 312 . Never a problem !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
Old Redneck

The main thing is to keep clean oil in the engine. My 56 T-Bird when I got it the oil was filthy black. It was so black it scared me. To get the oil filter off I had to buy oil filter pliers. So far the oil stays clean but I have not taken the Valve cover off to see how much sludge is there. When I do and if there a lot of sludge there I will pull the engine and take it apart and clean it. Then take it to my engine builder. It does sound good runs smooth. I have use 15W 40 in all my Model A's for years and no trouble.I like what you fellows have to say and that the way we learn. Thank you. Ken
Old 09-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #10
packrat5
BANNED

I would NEVER take ANY internet chatroom advise on what kind of oil to use
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Old Redneck

These fellows on this forum have help me very much. I trust them very much. I have never got bad advice from any of them. I don't know why you would say that????