Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
randy993

Default Question about "The Green Bible" manual

I'm looking for a reference/repair manual for my '41 PU. I see originals listed for around $100 and repo's for $60. It looks like that the repo's have around 450 pages and the originals have 800 pages.
Two questions. Is this a good manual for my '41 PU? Does anyone know the difference between an original and a repo?
Thanks in advance,
Randy
randy993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Question about "The Green Bible" manual

Not totally sure what your asking here, the term Green Book or Green Bible normally refers to the parts book. It is sorta a parts catalog dealers could use to identify replacement parts. Current available parts in the supply system that would work on current and previous models. It does not list the original parts for a given model year. I some cases the parts are correct but in most cases they are functional replacements. There is really no repair information other than some diagrams. I like the digital versions, they are cheaper and easier to use for me. This one includes several different parts manuals (13) and covers several years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928-48FordChassisCDPB.jpg (275.1 KB, 14 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
51504bat

You might check with Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, CA
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com
Old 09-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #4
Mart

Pretty sure I downloaded a pdf version for free from somewhere. Someone on here posted a link to it (I think).
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #5
bobH

I've got an original 'Green Bible', which I've had since the 1950's. It's marked November 1950 on the cover, and indeed, it has 802 pages. I've used mine extensively, and it's falling apart. I'm puzzled with the pricing, as I don't see 60 or 100 value. Mine will probably be given away, free, someday soon (age catching up to me).
It's an interesting reference for REPLACEMENT parts. And, it's NOT a repair manual. It has diagrams that are sometimes useful to identify missing parts and show how some stuff was put together.
I'd keep looking. And, if you're looking for a repair manual, I'd be looking much beyond the Green Bible. Ford didn't really do repair manuals, in the sense that GM did. So, you will be looking for 'alternatives'.
Manuals that might interest you...
Ford V8 Service Bulletins (avail in reprint)
Motor Manuals (almost any year issue that covers your 41) (don't worry if it's a car manual - your pickup has essentially the same running gear)
Old Chilton Manuals
Workshop Manual for Ford V8 and Mercury, 32-48, Scientific Publications, Sydney & Melbourne, c1956, reprint 1963
Maintenance Manual for Ford Fordor Sedan built for US Government, Models 2GA73C & 21A73C, published by Ford Motor Company, July 5, 1942. It's a WWII TM-10-1375, published for the Military. Available in reprint.
Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Service Manual 1942-1948 Cars and Trucks, Published by Ford Motor Company, 3606-42-42, August 15, 1948. This one is reprinted. It's pretty small, and wouldn't be my first choice (but better than nothing).
I'm sure that there are many others.
Besides the faxon suggestion above, you might also try contacting Dave Graham. He writes articles for the V8 Times, and you will find him in the V8 Times, or in the club roster. [email protected] Dave has, or at least used to have, a reprint business for old manuals (any make, not just Ford). If he is still doing the reprints, he will no doubt have an abundance of Ford manuals.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
mercurycyclone

The Early Ford V8 Club has reprinted with permission the reference manual “Two Great Trucks” 1940 and 1941 Ford Pickup Trucks By Howard Towne. It has a lot of information and a bargain at about $10.00 plus postage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 743E7470-A769-4ABA-8A03-49E58531C7F6.jpg (32.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by mercurycyclone; 09-24-2019 at 06:18 AM.
mercurycyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
randy993

Thanks for the replies. I may have said it wrong when I said repair manual. Thanks bobH for the reference suggestions. I believe I'll keep looking.
randy993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...ks-P19472.aspx

$30, I think that is a real bargain for 13 parts books!

Their hard copy reprint of the Green Book only is $54. http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...nt-P24396.aspx
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
hop up

You know I dont think its the Book (green bible)to have unless your looking to cross reference part numbers and and years they fit. It gives a few illustrations or part break downs. I love other books like Page’s Ford V-8 cars and trucks and Post ERA book Ford V-8 complete service bulletins . Even the Polyprints service books have all the info and illustrations on each year needed for repair or restoration. I would post a picture but my computer doesn’t like to post on the fordbarn for some reason.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
KGS

As Bobh and others have said, you need other manuals in addition to the "Green Bible". However, the green bible can be downloaded from the Northern Ohio region of the EFV8 Club. Just go to their website, then to newsletters and tecnicals and click on that.

http://www.norgv8club.org/index.php
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
cajunfirehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
As Bobh and others have said, you need other manuals in addition to the "Green Bible". However, the green bible can be downloaded from the Northern Ohio region of the EFV8 Club. Just go to their website, then to newsletters and tecnicals and click on that.

http://www.norgv8club.org/index.php
Thanks KGS!

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The Ford Service Manual for 39 to 48 is also green color. Section II is a reprint of the old Canadian Ford shop manual from the era and it was the best one printed. The originals or a good digitized copy of an original issue are the best to get so that the photographs will be in good condition. Copies usually have degraded photos.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #13
Clem Clement

The
Canadian book is a great help. So is the green book. None are perfect but with the service bulletins in the readable print and Fordbarn you are good to go.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote