Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
weemark

Default speedometer issue

hello - I have a problem develop with the speedometer on the car. It is a '35 roadster. It was all going fun until without warning the speedo made this weird buzzing noise and the needle started to shake. Then the needle shot around the gauge and started bouncing about wildly. So whilst driving along I pulled the speedo cable out the back and the needle fell to the 6 o'clock position.

I pulled the speedo out and took it apart but couldn't see anything wrong with it. It looked like all the parts were lubricated and greased with nothing worn - the numbers turned easily when I was doing it manually so put it in the car again however the same happened after about 2 miles.

What would be causing this behaviour? I guess it would be easier to get a replacement speedo rather than get this one fixed?

if anyone has a good '35 speedo I would be interested.

thanks
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Kerk

Default Re: speedometer issue

I would also check the Cable for a problem. Remove the inner cable and lubricate on the way back in. Just my suggestion. What may have caused the problem?!!! kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I agree with Kerk, check the cable. Remove the inner cable by pulling it out from the speedometer end, and see what it looks like. Could be dry of lube, or gummed up with thick oily crud. In either case, I would soak the inner cable in solvent and get it clean. If the inner cable was gummed up, you may also need to clean the inside of the cable housing. When you reassemble, use a speedometer cable lube that contains graphite.

PS...on a long crosscountry trip in 2013, I had the exact same problem with my speedometer as you described. I cleaned and lubed the cable as mentioned above, and all is still working well 20k miles later.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-17-2018 at 06:49 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
weemark

ok thanks gents, I will check the cable but I think the issue is at the speedo because of where the needle now sits.

What about the speedo though? the needle now hangs down straight at 6 o'clock position and doesn't sit at the zero position like it used to? when I put it back together and I was driving along the road the speed must have been out by about 20 mph, however after about a mile it went back to making a horrible noise so I disconnected the cable and the needle dropped again.

Last edited by weemark; 07-17-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

It's possible the cable was initially at fault, and that could have lead to speedo head damage. Just a theory, but let us know what you actually find.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
G.M.

Pull the cable all the way out and use Lubriplate to grease it. G.M.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
19Fordy

Make sure the cable goes straight into the speedo at a 90 degree
angle with no strain on it. Support it with a wire tie.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
weemark

the cable is free with no strain on it, when removed from the speedo when driving along it whirrs around no problem at all. I have made a little video of the problem, you can see it on the link below. The issue doesn't happen all the time, it comes and goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hheu...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by weemark; 07-17-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
Boryca

Your magnet might be shot. The odometers are controlled by gearing, and if they're working fine it would tell me your cable is hooked up and working properly, but you would only be able to tell that if you go a predetermined distance and compare to mileage added.

The pointer is on a magnet assembly, and unfortunately that's the expensive part. The guys I brought my speedo to wouldn't touch it with the magnet stuck (wouldn't turn at all) but someone might fix them given your problem. Check them out and give them a call, very knowledgeable guys. https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

Good luck! 35-36 speedos aren't getting any cheaper. I've got a lead on one that should be good for relatively cheap though. Let me know if you can't get it fixed and I'll get you the info.

Mike
Boryca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
deuce lover

The speedo needs to be serviced.John Wolf Co in Willoughby,OH is another place that rebuilds them.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
papanick

Hi Mark things for emailing me. Will what to hear back. Hope I help. papanick.
papanick is offline   Reply With Quote