Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #61
Terry,NJ

Default Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?

I have used Magnet paint "Chassis saver" with a brush on the Chassis. $110. TSC "Magic" paint on the fenders. $30-35 a gal. Hardener $15 (?) and thinner $(?) I sprayed 1 fender and it seemed the hardest orange peel I ever sanded. I ground away at that paint for hours trying to smooth it out. Took them to a local guy to put a final sanding and coat on them. There are pictures of them in "My 30 TS" in my profile. He also suggested painting the undersides with Bedliner to cushion against flying rocks etc. I want to paint the body the "Drabs", Copra and Chicle. I haven't decided what paint I'll use PPG, Nason, Maybe something else.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #62
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Try TCP Global for inexpensive paints - they have vry inexpensive enemals.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #63
TDO

I used tractor paint from tractor supply 3 years ago. It was Valspar. they have a different brand name now. They sell thinner and hardener for it. It's the 30 coupe, my avatar. The paint was $52.00 a gallon then. So far so good.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #64
Tinker

Holdover I agree with ever thing you have said. Having gone through the process. Ever dollar in a very nice paint job is well spent.

For me it took a 1000yrd car to a 10 ft car for about a grand. Considering materials. Not considering the time at all.

But as mentioned if it scratches, and it has, I don't worry. Looks great without all the worry.

Have a total admiration for a great paint job.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #65
Terry,NJ

Oh yeah, Not to Hi jack this thread, but what color do you paint the fender wells? Fender
black?
Terry
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #66
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Oh yeah, Not to Hi jack this thread, but what color do you paint the fender wells? Fender
black?
Terry
Yes, with the spare tire well spot welded in place, the fender and well become one piece and is dipped (original paint) or sprayed as one part.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #67
Terry,NJ

Thanks Tom, but I should have been clearer, I meant the rear wells. I guess they're called the wells. The large indent in the rear that accepts the fender.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, with the spare tire well spot welded in place, the fender and well become one piece and is dipped (original paint) or sprayed as one part.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #68
raprice22

Steve S.,
Your Model A looks good. But I really love your '57 Nash. That was the last year of the Nash before everything became Rambler. Does yours have the V-8?
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #69
holdover

I have seen pics that show the wells, which are part of the body, the same color as the body which makes sense. The fenders were installed after the body, which was painted, was mounted to the frame rails
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #70
Dodge

The old Rustoleum held up much better than the stuff they use today. I have a car
that was painted in Rustoleum by the previous owner, he used a hardner and it looked
good for a while then faded. It is not chalky but looks like original paint that has dulled out.
I actually like the look.
I have had good results with fiberglass runabout boats using a paint like centari. I rolled
it with a foam roller with three coats. Then used 600 sand paper to cut it then 800 and
polished it with an electric buffer and polishing compounds. No one that looked at could
tell that it wasn't sprayed.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #71
big job

Ok I'll take a stab. Service truck on the left Rustoleum 10 yrs old. 1qt hunter green
1/2 pt black 1/2 pt penetral reduced with lacq. thinner. sprayed with a hlv gun. Now
check out the cab on the dump truck. That also is about 10yrs old and painted with
"real" paint and its gone. So we sprayed the nose with my rustoleum mix and mixed a
little clear. By the way I never believed in reducing enamels with Lacq thinner but the
hardware store insists in doing so? I dont know it works and flashes faster.
sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1 34.jpg (83.7 KB, 86 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #72
Purdy Swoft

The last time that I looked at the label instructions, Rustoleum recommends lacquer thinner or acetone thinned only 5%. I believe this thinner recommendation is for brush or roll on applications and 5% lacquer or acetone wouldn't have much dulling or fading effect. For spraying I find that a two to one mix or slightly more with enamel reducer or mineral spirits works good. I use a universal super wet look hardener with this system. Urethane activator and reducer can be used with rustoleum for a super hard finish that will look much like single stage urethane.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #73
1931 flamingo

big job: Way back when I started working at a gas station/repair/body shop, the painter/bodyman would mix enamel with lacquer thinner and hardener, sprinkle some water on the concrete floor, shut the garage door, and go to town. No booth, don't remember an exhaust fan, or if he wore a mask. Always came out good, depending on how much he'd had to drink. Body shop used to be an old blacksmith shop, still had the firebox and tools ready to go. Late 50's early 60's.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #74
Purdy Swoft

Enamel can be thinned with lacquer thinner but lacquer can't be thinned with enamel reducer or it will curdle. Enamel will dry quicker and attract less dust when thinned with lacquer thinner but will dull quickly. I never trid using hardeners with lacquer. I worked at an independent body shop for a while in the 80s and we did quite a few all over paint jobs. Some people are tight and wanted-expected an Imron like paint job at an alkyd enamel price. We would use imron activator in the dulux dupont enamel and it would dry hard and resemble imron at a fraction of the price. Thats where I got the idea to try urethane activator with rustoleum. If the conditions are right and the correct temp urethane reducer is used it worked out good for me . After the paint had set, we hand rubbed it the next day to give it a rubbed out lacquer look.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #75
christian

rustolem out of spray cans. good enough for me (for now at least).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (10).jpg (97.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #76
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
rustolem out of spray cans. good enough for me (for now at least).
Wow! That looks good. How long did that take, I'll bet your arm really got tired of shaking those (how many?) cans.
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #77
christian

4 cans satin green, 6 cans satin black. After 2 weeks in 70 degree weather I buffed it out with rubbing compound. As far as my arms they were fine, now my trigger finger on the other hand........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #78
AmRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
There was a time when the thought of this would have made me laugh but now with paint costing about $1000 for the average car, the equipment needed to apply it and the protective gear, maybe it's time has come. And I'm talking about the do it yourself person, if you opt to have the job done by a shop then the cost becomes even more. It appears after looking at a few YouTube clips that you can do a good job using a roller as long as you take the time to progressively sand each thin coat with finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper. The process is much more tedious than spraying but could really be great for anyone working on a budget restoring a car. Is it viable?
Perhaps this link can help you out...http://www.instructables.com/id/Hobb...ding/?ALLSTEPS

This guy is speaking from his own experience, it looks like... but I understand that all cars vary.

http://www.amcraftindustrialcurtainw...shop-curtains/

AmRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:31 AM   #79
Kaliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmRC View Post
Perhaps this link can help you out...http://www.instructables.com/id/Hobb...ding/?ALLSTEPS

This guy is speaking from his own experience, it looks like... but I understand that all cars vary.

http://www.amcraftindustrialcurtainw...shop-curtains/

It looks like everyone here is keen on car painting. Could you guys tell me if wash-down curtains work well? I mean, are they really good at protecting the surroundings from paint drops and are they worth installing? I’m considering this variant: https://www.curtain-and-divider.com/...-bay-curtains/, what do you think about it? Is it suitable for a garage (where I am actually going to paint my car)?
Kaliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #80
Model A Ron

If you can sand and buff yourself just do a base clear paint job. It can be done without a spray booth, it's not that hard, looks much better than a rattle can job, and has superior UV protection. Just my 2 cents

The quality of the job will be the quality of your prep and how well you can sand and buff. Base clear is much more forgiving than most think. You will not get a show car paint job but you should be able to get something decent. Also remember lighter colors are more forgiving than dark.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote