Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Ford script styles identification

My wife and I are learning to identify Ford parts by year based on the Ford script. Here is a motormeter. What are your thoughts and what are they based on.

Image of scripts from http://blog.4wheelonline.com/2014/06...ogos-all-time/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170625_121534.jpg (63.3 KB, 40 views)

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Ford script styles identification

Motormeters were accessories and most likely always made and distributed by outside manufacturers. They have been licensed or not. Original literature would likely be a better research subject. Also these meters were made back in the day and are made now.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Lincoln

Default Re: Ford script styles identification

It's good that that you have been able to pick out the differences between the various emblems. Some have pronounced differences while others are small. Within FORD MOTOR itself, the script emblems probably varied a little bit, depending on their usage. For example, emblems used on their Vehicles would have changed in order to fit the various Models of the year. The Oval and the Script probably were arranged to fit the application. But most years had that characteristic White/Blue look.
For the outside signage (signs hanging outside the Dealer's building), apparently some of those Sign makers took some liberties with their signs and deviated from "THE LOOK" that Ford wanted. In 1929, Ford issued instructions to their Dealers to "standardize" on these outsign signs. They were just coming out of "The Model T Days" at the time, and wanted to eliminate such signs as: "SALES & SERVICE FORD CARS-TRUCKS-TRACTORS". But I have not seen anything from Ford relating to the small emblems that you describe. Keep in mind that "Ford Script" was used in a variety of other items, such as stationery, packing - and on many Ford parts themselves (but without the Oval).
So I do not know if you can single out a year - or group of years - by a particular shape or appearance of the Ford Emblem used. But it is a "Good Start"!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote