Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Dtolson9

Default Ignition problem

I'm getting power sometimes to my key and not others. It's converted to 12v. One minute I'll have power then the car will die and I'll check power and it's gone. Any ideas?
Dtolson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Ignition problem

Where are you checking for power. Test with a test light or multimeter at the junction box and along the path to the points. See where you loose power.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Start with whatever is modified from stock-- check fuse/ fuse holder, perhaps it is just the switch or a loose connection at the switch
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Dtolson9

I am checking right at the key
Old 06-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
wmws
BANNED

See if there is voltage to point arm with points open or paper between points and ign switch on. If there is voltage there the points may just be dirty or possibly the distributor is not making good ground. If there is no voltage at point arm see where there is a break along path. It could be in cable from ign switch or no contact between upper and lower plate. Or a short in the distributor somewhere. Or it could be the ign switch is faulty. Trace back with test light through junction box to ign switch to amp meter etc.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Check the lights and horn when the ignition has no power.
If they work, then you don't have a problem at the battery posts or ground, and the power is going through the ammeter to the cutout.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Dtolson9

Everything else still has power when this happens. My fuel pump and lights all still come on
Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
wmws
BANNED

Fuel Pump? Sounds like a heavenly modified car. Not sure what to tell you now without seeing just how things are set up.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Hi D,

Why waste valuable time when it is so simple?

1. First obtain an electrical wiring diagram.

2. Realize that "invisible" (+) & (-) electrical current is beginning from one (1) source, i.e., the battery; and to trace "invisible" electrical current, a test lamp or multi-meter is used for a human to "see" invisible electrical current.

3. Begin "seeing" invisible current with your electrical testing device from the battery and follow the wiring diagram like driving and following a road map ..... bridge outs and other interruptions will be so obvious.

4. After learning how to perform this simple linear task once, you will never forget it.

Hope this helps anybody in the future with "invisible" electrical current interruptions that humans cannot see with the naked eye.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-23-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Bad switch................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtolson9 View Post
Everything else still has power when this happens. My fuel pump and lights all still come on
Hey David,
Since you have gone to 12V, I'm going to guess that you now have the '12V' cable/wire from ignition switch to distributor..is this so ?

When screwing this type arrangement into the distributor....IF SCREWED IN TOOO FAR, even a little bit too far, it can cause that to be grounded with vibration and/or movement of distributor.
Make sure that you have not screwed the dist end of 'modern 12V type armor cable into dist body too far.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #12
Chuck Sea/Tac

When you say no power at the switch, does this mean both sides of the sw have no voltage?here is a simple ignition wiring diagram color coded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1785.jpg (37.2 KB, 44 views)
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 AM   #13
Synchro909

There was a thread about this recently. Check the terminals at the back of the switch. I bet they are loose. When that happened to me, I pressed the end back into the body and stuffed an epoxy putty in around it. I clamped it in place while the putty set. All good now.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #14
Patrick L.

The way I read the post, your not always getting power TO the switch. So, a wiring diagram is needed and just start tracing back to find the problem.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Hi D,

Also please obtain a Bratton's Catalog, (if you do not already have one), and go to the heading "Ignition Switches" where immediately below this Bratton's Catalog Title is a "Diagram" describing the Reply No. 9 "invisible" flow of electrical current and lack of "invisible" flow of electrical current coming from the "only" one source referred to in Reply No. 9, i.e., the battery.

Per Reply No. 9, use your electrical testing device to test the "invisible" current readings indicated in Mr. Bratton's Diagram.

Other tried "Lottery Type" gambling alternatives for trying to locate intermittent electrical problem can be learned from reading the (20) past years of former Model A Forum suggestions from many past Model A owners such as:

1. Check your condenser.
2. Check your starter switch.
3. Check your generator cut out.
4. Check your brake light.
5. Start changing out parts like junction boxes, distributors, horns, headlights, etc., etc.
6. Continue bouncing around from pillar to post check everything from coil wire connections to tail light connections from now until three (3) weeks after Christmas of 2025.
7, Never ever try to use a wiring diagram with a multi-meter because it is like reading a "Simple" road map with roads indicated from point A. to point B.
8. You will get lost every time and have to return to trying out 100's individual Model A electrical items listed in 1-6 above.

Not much different from Life in general ..... if one goes through Life without a plan following one's individual Life's Road Map from point A to point B, at age 70 one could find he has tried everything, (multiple wives, homes, jobs, etc.), and has nothing, and is totally homeless.

Just hope this can assist anyone to "quickly" learn how to map out and pinpoint mysterious, "invisible" Model A electrical current problems in the future.

(Might add the best time to use your wiring diagram and testing device is when your Model A switch does "NOT" work.)

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-24-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
The way I read the post, your not always getting power TO the switch. So, a wiring diagram is needed and just start tracing back to find the problem.
If that is the case, my original post may not be relevant. I'd have a look at the ammeter and its connections. If you have a fuse in there, check that and its contacts too.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Most common problems can be found with a SIMPLE TEST LIGHT.
Bill Awful

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-25-2017 at 07:16 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote