Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
hardtimes

Default A400

Anyone seen the A400 for sale over on the HAMB?
Nice looking car in Arizona. Don't know if good price or not, but seems so for a rare car in decent condition.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
waxhead

Default Re: A400

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...a-car.1066274/

Looks nice
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
ronn

yes, nice looking car- price is about right, maybe a little on the high side.

going to need a new top.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Oldbluoval

Lots good about it, lots of love, care and $$$ needed depending on what you want to do with it. No ash trays. I'd say a bit on the high side too.......maybe $27K-28K

But lots of fun in a rare car and it's on all fours and running!!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
brianpharmd

I've talked with Chet (son) who's father owns the car. The owner's wife bought him the car for his 80th birthday since he always wanted one. Now he is 88 and it is time to let it go. I've seen several pictures, have video of the car out on the road as a daily driver. New interior and maintenace has been kept up. Son is into Model A's as he has a 28 Pheaton. Originally an AZ car that went to CA and then back to AZ. Wife won't let me pull the trigger. Love to own one some day but with 2 other cars, she feels that I'm always working on them.
brianpharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
gz

I like that 400A a lot. It seems like most of them are shiny, over the top show cars. Nice to see one that has a mellowed look to it. I would drive it and enjoy it the way it is. Looks like an honest car with a good, old restoration. I think the price is decent.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpharmd View Post
I've talked with Chet (son) who's father owns the car. The owner's wife bought him the car for his 80th birthday since he always wanted one. Now he is 88 and it is time to let it go. I've seen several pictures, have video of the car out on the road as a daily driver. New interior and maintenace has been kept up. Son is into Model A's as he has a 28 Pheaton. Originally an AZ car that went to CA and then back to AZ. Wife won't let me pull the trigger. Love to own one some day but with 2 other cars, she feels that I'm always working on them.
Just tell her that this car will keep you from spending all your time on the other two.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Wonder if Joop has any information on this car? I think he's back on the East Coast now because it's been 105 degrees in So. Cal. for a couple of days, so it must be 115 to 120 degrees in Arizona.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Wonder if Joop has any information on this car? I think he's back on the East Coast now because it's been 105 degrees in So. Cal. for a couple of days, so it must be 115 to 120 degrees in Arizona.

David Serrano
Joop was the one that told me about this car. Apparently he is a good friend of the owner.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Just tell her that this car will keep you from spending all your time on the other two.
Right. I'll try that one.

Tom - do you then air B&B any rooms in your house and garage for a new family of 4 (me + 3 cars).
Old 06-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Joop was the one that told me about this car. Apparently he is a good friend of the owner.
Brian,

Thought so. By the way, why don't you sell one of your A's so you can buy this one. Or, you could tell your wife you are putting one of the other A's up for sale after you buy the 400A. Those 400A's are rare.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Brian,

Thought so. By the way, why don't you sell one of your A's so you can buy this one. Or, you could tell your wife you are putting one of the other A's up for sale after you buy the 400A. Those 400A's are rare.

David Serrano
The coupe we have is a family car. My wife's grandfather bought it in the 70s and restored it. Can't really sell that one. It needs a refresh in the restoration as the real wheel wells are rusting, the tank has all kinds of crud and needs an engine rebuild. Something I'm looking at Brent in TN to address down the road.

The S/W, I just bought about 18 months ago so the all 3 of us could go on tours. I really worked to get the mechanics sound and had the engine rebuilt by AER. I'd hate to sell it after just putting a rebuilt touring motor in it with only 1000 miles on it. Then it becomes like the ones I always read month after month on the forum with rebuilt engine, low miles and for sale.

The A400 is the perfect match - convertable with enough room for a family of 3. I've even talked with a guy near Greensboro that has one to get an idea of pitfalls to watch out for with these cars. I think this on in AZ is a solid car and it is driven routinely.

There are a few other A400s for sale - one in WA state where they want 70K since it is an award winning one, one in AL but that is going to have a b-motor, juice brakes and other upgrades done when it is finished. One in NY but that one has been on eBay quite a bit. There was one in the Jan/Feb MARC mag that was a barn kept car that sold for 32K (emailed the owner at the time).
Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

I like this car, too, despite a few warts and hairs. But be forewarned: the new owner will have one heck of a high woodgraining bill to eventually face. LOTS of pieces are woodgrained on an A-400, including the difficult-to-remove header trim piece. Once the woodgraining has been done properly, that REALLY turns on an A-400's interior!
Marshall
A-400 #1080
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
I like this car, too, despite a few warts and hairs. But be forewarned: the new owner will have one heck of a high woodgraining bill to eventually face. LOTS of pieces are woodgrained on an A-400, including the difficult-to-remove header trim piece. Once the woodgraining has been done properly, that REALLY turns on an A-400's interior!
Marshall
A-400 #1080
I saw that same issue as well, no woodgraining. That can really add up. I have a hard time letting things sit that need to be corrected. That's part of why the wife won't let me get it.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Can anyone say: BIG BLOCK ??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #16
CHuDWah

What's the grill thingy in the cowl panel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Floor pedals.jpg (61.3 KB, 125 views)
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
brianpharmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
What's the grill thingy in the cowl panel?
I asked the owner when I emailed him about buying the car. I was informed that it is a vent in the cowl area that can be opened in closed to provide air on the driver's legs. I have never seen something like this before and was not sure if that is an add on or something special to that type of car.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #18
Oldbluoval

Very curious as to where the outside air source might be. There is little space between the outer skin and the kick panel. No space to allow air circulation as I can ponder. If it came from the firewall area you would get the nice vapors of a running oily engine.

Great idea if we could understand the circulation.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #19
biggieou

Quote:
I asked the owner when I emailed him about buying the car. I was informed that it is a vent in the cowl area that can be opened in closed to provide air on the driver's legs. I have never seen something like this before and was not sure if that is an add on or something special to that type of car.
Looks like the one on my 92 Dodge Cummins.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
www.northernohiomodela.com
biggieou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #20
vulture

Awesome car and love it as is and wouldn't fix a thing . I would just put a old overhead on it and soup up the motor. I wonder how old the paint is and any history on it.