Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
Anteek29

Default Re: clueless Ford salesman

Love reading those entertaining stories...keep up the thread
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #22
ursus

As a kid, I took an interest in a Model-A sedan owned by an older lady in the neighborhood. It was driven regularly and was serviced at a Standard Oil station nearby. The owner of the station told me that she previously had always taken it to the Ford dealership. That is, until they informed her that they no longer wished to service cars that old. When she asked why, the service manager told her something to the effect that having old jalopies on the premises detracted from their image. She never went back. Her son later sold the car to a hot rodder who cut it up into a "funny car".
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #23
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountstimothy0 View Post
That is funny. Especially at a Ford dealership. Reminds me of when I went to Menards. I asked a probably 30 yr old guy where the paint for a wood burning stove was, and he replied "huh. I didn't know they made stoves out of wood"! I looked at my wife and said, "we're going to Lowes".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
When I lived in Vermont, there was a hardware store nearby that sold "All Nighter" stoves. Next to the display was a copy made of plywood, and the sign on it said "One Nighter".
Old 05-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #24
Keith True

A few years ago there was a T in the showroom of Grapponne Ford in Concord N.H.I have no idea if it is still there or not.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #25
Bulligen

I was talking to some younger people at a car show. They were looking at my A, I was talking about how it was built before WW2, They said,( when was that?) ??? It is always said history repeats itself, you can see why!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #26
Dick Steinkamp

I'm mostly OK with young people...even though some don't have the same interests or the same knowledge of the same subjects as I do.

I just wish they'd STAY OFF MY LAWN!!

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 05-25-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I was talking to some younger people at a car show. They were looking at my A, I was talking about how it was built before WW2, They said,( when was that?) ??? It is always said history repeats itself, you can see why!
IGNORANCE and STUPIDITY are RAMPANT out
"THERE"

That's why I just stay in the HOUSE, with my Dog, Buster T.
Bill W. & the Goofy Woofie
Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #28
jdupay

Great stories love reading these threads. Today I was at the body shop that is painting my 29 Std Coupe. My 18 year old son was with me. The guy running the place - older gentleman been in business 35 years asked my son if he knew how to drive an A. My son proudly said, you bet, I could drive this A before I had a drivers license. Both my boys can drive the A and only one has a license....(Shhhh, don't tell the police).
jdupay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #29
JDupuis

I was doing fire dept smoke detector checks in a neighbouring village about 10 years ago.
Of course I had to take the old car. We were going door to door, when this young fellow ( about 12 years old) riding on his bike asks if that was my car? When I said yes. He told me
(and I quote) " That sure is a nice 1931 Ford Model A deluxe Tudor you got there sir"
Well I was certainly surprised at his response. His Dad also had a Model A slant window, and he has a model T truck. So this young fellow was in the know.
The future looks bright. . Jeff
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #30
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupay View Post
Great stories love reading these threads. Today I was at the body shop that is painting my 29 Std Coupe. My 18 year old son was with me. The guy running the place - older gentleman been in business 35 years asked my son if he knew how to drive an A. My son proudly said, you bet, I could drive this A before I had a drivers license. Both my boys can drive the A and only one has a license....(Shhhh, don't tell the police).
Good for you. My daughter learned to drive on mine when she was 11. When she got her license she didn't want to drive anything new or mundane, so now she takes her '74 Beetle to school every day.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #31
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal blue2 View Post
In northern Indiana a lady has a Model A in here garage that is up on jacks. Her husband bought the car new, he drove it home parked it in the garage. That night the man died of a heart attack. The car has only seen the outside from the dealer ship to home.
Since the last built Model A's were 1931, she must be over one hundred. Move quick and buy it.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #32
BoysToys1928A

Talking Re: clueless Ford salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupay View Post
Love these threads: I wonder how many drivers back in the day drove without DMV approval? My dad's story is that the first time he drove the family model A was because Grand Pa was enjoying to much adult beverage and couldn't walk strait. So at 13 years old my dad drove the A, He said Grand Pa was grabbing his leg pulling it up off the throttle, saying "slow down boy" all the while there was 8 gallons of moonshine in the back seat. Dad alway like to joke with me saying "if the revenuers had caught them you wouldn't exist boy"
Larry
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Good for you. My daughter learned to drive on mine when she was 11. When she got her license she didn't want to drive anything new or mundane, so now she takes her '74 Beetle to school every day.

Model A's and aircooled Vw's..wonder how many others have the same combination of cars? I went to the VW dealer with my dad when he bought his '67 vert,just after we bought a late '31 coupe for 250 bucks..now I have a '57 and '67 beetle and just closed the deal on a late '31 steel top pickup,its that whole circle thing..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #34
phonconn

Tom,
Yes and what do you think would have happened if I asked for a French Head Screw. He may well have just slapped me and quit on the spot. LOL
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #35
Jeff/Illinois

.... or if it had been a saleslady you would have either gotten slapped or a date for Saturday night
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #36
mountstimothy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonconn View Post
Got one for ya! Went into Home Depot for some wood screws for a project(non Model A) and a young man greeted me just inside the door. I asked "Please point me in the direction of your wood screws". He replied you want pluses or minuses.
I was quite confused as I didn't think wood screws had a polarity issue one way or the other and I guess the confusion frustrated the young man. He held up his hands in an + and asked once again pluses or minuses as he changed his hand to a horizontal - sign.
So I was educated that day that phillips head screws are "pluses" and that slotted head screws are "minuses".
What an old man can learn from this new generation is astounding.
Go figure.
Lol That's funny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
mountstimothy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #37
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonconn View Post
Got one for ya! Went into Home Depot for some wood screws for a project(non Model A) and a young man greeted me just inside the door. I asked "Please point me in the direction of your wood screws". He replied you want pluses or minuses.
I was quite confused as I didn't think wood screws had a polarity issue one way or the other and I guess the confusion frustrated the young man. He held up his hands in an + and asked once again pluses or minuses as he changed his hand to a horizontal - sign.
So I was educated that day that phillips head screws are "pluses" and that slotted head screws are "minuses".
What an old man can learn from this new generation is astounding.
Go figure.
haha when I was really little I thought the same thing about screws...then I learned that the "plus" was a phillips - then had no idea what to call the "minus" as the "old guys" I knew called them everything from flat heads, slotted heads, flat screws ....
Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
LOL, that sure is a new one on me.

Did you educate him about slotted and Philips head?

If you asked him for pan head screws, he probably would have taken you to the frying pans.
Watch his head turn when you ask for cheese head.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 AM   #39
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
LOL, that sure is a new one on me.

Did you educate him about slotted and Philips head?

If you asked him for pan head screws, he probably would have taken you to the frying pans.
Truss heads? probably might have been led to those hernia apparati..
Old 05-27-2017, 05:22 AM   #40
prpmmp

Man I really do love threads like this! Making fun of people makes me feel like a big man inside!! Now if I could only figure out how to make a call on my new smart phone Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote