Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Willynch

Default still overheating

1930 Tudor. I have replaced the radiator, had the carburetor overhauled. I have timed the engine, replaced spark plugs. I have power, speed and some pick up, even up hills.

Still over heating after about 30 minutes.

Not sure where to go from here.

I am wondering water pump or head.

I live in southeast michigan. Because of my job, I have not been able to make any of the local Modal clubs; figured that would be a good place for help.

Would appreciate guidance or suggestions. Thanks
Willynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
rscardina

Default Re: still overheating

Have you checked the water temp or is it steaming out of the cap? Mine was running water out of the overflow but didn't appear to be overheating. I installed a thermostat and it appears to have resolved my issue. I haven't taken any long trips yet to test it though.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
FRANK PKNY

If it's overfilled it will spew out coolant from around the cap and out the overflow. Are you sure it's boiling over (steam) the addition of a thermostat in the upper hose works very well for overflow problems. If it's steam you may have a deeper problem IE head gasket , perhaps a test for exhaust gas in the radiator should be done next, not an expensive kit from NAPA. Handy to help diagnose this type of problem.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Re-Torque the head bolts & add a jar of old fashioned Bars-Leaks & see I it helps. OH, drop a roofing nail in the top of the overflow, to prevent water "splash" over.
Bill W.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
WestCoast

I would have the out side of the radiator scanned with an infra red heat gun, that's the positive way to tell what your radiator is doing, if rad is hot at the top and cool or cold at the bottom rad is restricted, hot all over engine problem, cracked head, block, slow timing, poor water circulation from bad water pump, or plugged water passages in the block, check compression to see if you have a leaking head gasket, and do check the rad with an infra red heat gun
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

what did you use for a replacement radiator?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
Willynch

Replacement radiator was a Brassworks; 6 fins per inch.

WHen it over heats I have been measuring temperature in the top tank with a meat thermometer; typically temp has been low 200's.

When idling, the temp is usually 195-ish.

Seems to me, 1895 when idling leaves little room for heat transfer when driving . Granted, the moving car will have air flow across the radiator.

There is always a little overflow as it heats up. I assumed that was the coolant (water) expanding as it warms and overflowing.

After driving for a while (10 minutes) the radiator seems the "belch" some coolant out of the radiator cap. Temperature drops for a while but then climbs again. When driving, I am relying on the Moto-Meter.

When I finish the drive, I have to refill the radiator requiring almost half a gallon every time. I cannot find a system leak so I am assuming the coolant is boiling away. Maybe that is a bad assumption but the water is going somewhere.

Thanks. Will keep plugging away. Using infra red to measure temp across radiator might be useful.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
burner31

I have to agree with the others, thermostat.
It helps maintain the negative pressure in the block and regulate the flow into the rad, both will help with cooling/overflow problems.
Worked wonders on mine.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
1crosscut

Refilling with a half gallon each time is not normal by any means. It makes me think that you may be keeping the radiator too full. As long at the tubes at the top of the radiator are covered you have enough water. Before refilling check to see if the tubes are covered. If so do not add any more water.
Very common for folks to keep adding too much water and feeling that it is over heating because it is puking out the extra water.
Let it find the level of water it is comfortable with.

You should not have any water coming out around the radiator cap. Tighten it down and/or replace the gasket. All your extra water should exit through the overflow tube.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

DON'T forget the NAIL, it REALLY helps prevent water loss!!!! OH! I discovered that at a CONSTANT road speed, if your temp cycles UP & DOWN at regular intervals, "maybe" every 1 1/2 minutes, it's a SURE thing that you are LOW on water!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-27-2015 at 06:14 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynch View Post

When I finish the drive, I have to refill the radiator requiring almost half a gallon every time. I cannot find a system leak so I am assuming the coolant is boiling away. Maybe that is a bad assumption but the water is going somewhere.
That might just be the "normal" level for your radiator if you are adding the same amount each and every time.

Take it for a drive, leave it alone when you go back home and then on the second trip see if it needs more that the 1/2 gallon. The water is going out the overflow while you drive.

A couple of things can be done to reduce the water loss. Trimming the fins of the water pump or even drilling holes in the fins I have read works. The thermostat will slow the water from shooting into the neck and out the overflow.

Also remember that the radiator will only work if the water is getting though the block unimpeded, is the block passages clogged with rust?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #12
Dollar Bill

When idling, the temp is usually 195-ish.

Does it reach 195 just by start/idling in your garage?

Do you have a thermostat in it? If so, what temperature?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #13
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good head gasket leak into your water jacket. Combustion gasses getting in to the water. Any water in your oil? Level going up? Next time it is hot, lug it in third and see if it gets worse.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

I know some don't like to add stuff, BUT a simple overflow bottle, hosed to the bottom of the OVERFLOW tube, & a very leakproof cap, WILL eliminate a lot of problems. When it's shut down & cools off, it WILL SUCK the coolant back into the RADUMATOR!
Bill W.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #15
nick c

It could be a blown head gasket, sometimes it will not have water in the oil. It only pushes hot air into the water jacket under compression, on the intake stroke the leak is so small that it blows the small amount of water out the exhaust. Do a compression check and see if you have a cylinder that is lower than the others and look at that spark plug, it will look different than the others.
carry on nick c
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

you have not mentioned how high the coolant level is filled in the tank when cold before start up. as "1 crosscut" mentioned in his post
this is very important on the proper filiing on the model A cooling system
Old 06-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

I would go to Menards and buy a 10 foot roll of clear plastic tubing that fits the overflow pipe. Then run the tubing into the passenger side and have it fit through a hole in the cap of an empty gallon milk jug. Run the hose to the bottom of the jug, then drive the car and see exactly when the coolant leaves the radiator and how much leaves. Drive the car up a couple hills and see if that makes the coolant leave the radiator. When the test is done you'll have the coolant to dump back in, that is unless it was being overfilled to start with.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #18
Ron Lachniet

What you are adding in water is not from over filling. That would find it's own level just over the fins and stop. Don't settle for a bandaid fix. I had my radiator re-cored last winter and we drove from Michigan to the east coast and back through West Virginia on roads with 11% grades for up to three miles with 95 degree temperatures and after 2,500 miles I still do not have to add any coolant. I do have a 165 degree thermostat.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #19
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I sure hope you did not plug up your new radiator with crud from your engine. We are all assuming that the new rad. is good!!!!
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
I sure hope you did not plug up your new radiator with crud from your engine. We are all assuming that the new rad. is good!!!!
yep i preach that all the time
Old 06-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #21
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
DON'T forget the NAIL, it REALLY helps prevent water loss!!!! OH! I discovered that at a CONSTANT road speed, if your temp cycles UP & DOWN at regular intervals, "maybe" every 1 1/2 minutes, it's a SURE thing that you are LOW on water!
Bill W.
Thanks to Bill, his suggestion here saved my engine. We drive and tour nicely now. Thanks Bill (& Buster).

Last edited by Skibb; 06-27-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #22
Willynch

Thanks for all the insight.

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the overflow tube. I thought that allowed overflow to spill out. If the radiator was overfilled, this overflow tube would take of that problem.

I have been filling the radiator close to the top. It sounds like that might be a mistake. If so, why is that a mistake? Also, how do I determine the proper fill level for my radiator and my car?

Also, I do not understand why placing a roofing nail (suggestion by Bill Williamson) would be useful? I picture that as a way to obstruct the overflow tube which I assumed was there for a purpose.

Lastly, I also hope my new radiator is not just an "expensive filter". I have barely 50 miles on the car since the radiator was put in. I have drained and refilled it three times; each time the fluid has looked very clear. Hopefully that means I am OK. Lot to learn
Old 06-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

looking inside the top tank you should see a baffle plate which is just above the tubes.. lower the level to that plate or just below it.. yes your over filling the rad you need to leave that much room for expansion..
the difference from the plate to the top of the tank is about a half gallon
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynch View Post
Thanks for all the insight.

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the overflow tube. I thought that allowed overflow to spill out. If the radiator was overfilled, this overflow tube would take of that problem.

I have been filling the radiator close to the top. It sounds like that might be a mistake. If so, why is that a mistake? Also, how do I determine the proper fill level for my radiator and my car?

Also, I do not understand why placing a roofing nail (suggestion by Bill Williamson) would be useful? I picture that as a way to obstruct the overflow tube which I assumed was there for a purpose.

Lastly, I also hope my new radiator is not just an "expensive filter". I have barely 50 miles on the car since the radiator was put in. I have drained and refilled it three times; each time the fluid has looked very clear. Hopefully that means I am OK. Lot to learn
Willy, The nail is a proven old time "fix", it just sits there, doing a little "dance" , acting as a "splash over" shield & it WON'T pressurize the system. At higher REVS, the water REALLY churns in the top tank & water is gradually lost out the overflow tube, by "SPLASH" over.
AND, remember, for those that have a MOTO-METER or a temp gauge, on long runs, you notice the gauges CYCLE UP & DOWN, at about 1 1/2 to 2 MINUTE intervals,---You are LOW on WATER!
AND, like Mitch//pa said, be concerned about Rust FLAKES that get stuck in the upper ends of the radiator tubes!!! ANY amount of cleaning of blocks & heads, NEVER totally eliminates the rust flake problem. A BI-ANNUAL BACKFLUSH, helps.
IF, you could count the number of tubes, you'd be SURPRISED, at how FEW there are! IF you are able to ever see a chunk in a tube, you can suck it out with a MAGONET
AND, DON'T worry about OVERFILLING, that's what the overflow's there for, to belch out excess coolant, when it warms up & EXPANDS. But if you're running Anti-Freeze, it's important NOT to overfill & belch out/dilute your EXPENSIVE stuff!
NOT tryin' to be smart assed or loooong drawn out, jist tryin' to share what I've SEEN/DONE!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-28-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

I would fill the radiator to just over the tops of the tubes, as Mitch said, then drive it and see if any more coolant goes out the overflow. If it does, then I'd remove the radiator, lay it flat with the front down and your hand over the cap opening, then fill it with water. Now quickly turn it upside down and remove you hand and see if any rust flakes come out. On most radiators it doesn't take many rust flakes to block off enough tubes to cause the coolant to fill the top tank and go out the overflow. I've been through this exact thing a year ago, and it all started when the built up rust in the rear of the block decided to let loose and block the radiator tubes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #26
Smurkey

I know it's been said, but sounds like everything is OK to me. Just a little overfilled.

195 to low 200s isn't overheating, that's operating temp (so long as it's not BOILING over) but sounds just like the system is reaching its equilibrium and a half gallon is about what you lose if you fill to the top.
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

For those with NO TEMP gauge, if it's quite hot & belching out the overflow, YOU'LL SMELL IT IN TIME TO GET OVER & CHECK THINGS!
Bill W.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
barkleydave

I went through this fire drill and this is what I did.

1. New Bergs Radiator and New Water Pump
2. Lost 3/4 gallon on 100 mile tour in very hill conditions.

A. Checked for head gasket leak with radiator test kit... A-OK
B. Added Bill's wonder roofing nail
C. Added 165 degree thermostat.

Runs at 195 degrees on a 95 degree day up hill all day!
Last tour we were running 40-45 up long grades and NO coolant loss!

Part of the problem is the new water pumps really move a lot of water which was getting pushed over the top of the overflow tube. The nail did the trick no more loss.
Also the thermostat slows the flow slightly so not so agitated in the top tank.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #29
grumpyoldsman

we had a couple of guys buy rads a few years ago and when they installed them there cars started to over heat. the new rads were plugged up with leak stop from the manufacturer. just a thought
grumpyoldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

I DON'T know about now, but in the past, some local engine rebuilders would pour a powdered stop leak, in the block, before putting the heads on.
Bill W.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

ASE technicians in a can...
i guess ill shut my doors

actually when people use ASE technician in a can it is busier
cause that garbage screws things up
Old 06-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #32
Henry's Lady's Man

It almost sounds like a stuck thermostat popping, but it's assumed you know that nobody put one in there before you acquired the car. Silly suggestion, but worth adding, I suppose. - Chuck
Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #33
burner31

A thermostat will actually help maintain a negative pressure in the lower block, thus reducing the boiling temp.
Don't ask me how it works, but I seen a long drawn out explanation (with pictures and arrows and everything) on youtube about it, seemed to make sense, and seems to work.
I only run 180 going up hill.
Big change from the 220/boil over days I was having.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #34
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
a negative pressure in the lower block, thus reducing the boiling temp.
Yes, water boils at 203 degrees in Denver CO. due to the lower air pressure as compared to sea level.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
ASE technicians in a can...
i guess ill shut my doors

actually when people use ASE technician in a can it is busier
cause that garbage screws things up
As a matter of fact, SA, I'm NOT an additive proponent. "maybe" some old fashioned Bars-Leaks, for "insurance" or 1/2 jar of STP in a loose/worn OLD engine. I DIDN'T condone the powdered stop leak, thrown in the water jackets of a newly "remanufactured" engine!!!
I have found that a conventional water pump ceramic seal, that continues to squeak, even after a week or so, can be silenced in a NANO second, by adding 2 table spoons of BRAKE FLUID to the radumator! It was recommended by Chrysler Corp! Chrysler came out with some REALLY neat "tricks" in the '60's
Dad

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-29-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #36
tonhop66

I have a 1929 Tudor I have had for many years. It has set in my garage for over 25 years when I got it out last summer. Got it running but had a over heating problem. I even had a small heat problem years ago but just lived with it. This time was much worse. I draind the block and radiator many times and even had the radiator cleaned with only small sucess. I decided to replace the radiator and Leakey water pump. When I plulled the water pump out and looked into the block I found a large Pile of rust. At idle the pump worked and sent water to the radiator but when out on the road the rust pile would stop the water flow and the motor would get hot. Cleaned out the rust pile an now it runs super cool!

tonhop66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #37
JDupuis

tonhop66. Congrats on making your first post. With great information I might add. You've been a member for 7 years. Wow, I couldn't keep quiet for that long. Glad you finally spoke up. Hope to hear more from you. . Jeff
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #38
redmodelt

Everybody has jumped on the radiator band wagon, has anyone asked where he is setting the GVA or spark lever? You could be running lean and do you understand the function of the spark lever?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #39
jw hash

sound like a head gasket to me.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 PM   #40
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: One (1) opinion from past experiences:

After (8) million quick fixes and causes discussed for a restored Model A's overheating problems, two (2) should top the list:

A. Malfunctioning radiator; and/or,

B. Malfunctioning thermostat.

C. Either one could be first or second.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #41
Charlie Stephens

Do they still make a cheap test for hydrocarbons in the radiator? Maybe at a place like Pep Boys. That would confirm a head gasket leak.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #42
CYB4

At my Tudor it was a cracked cylinder head, at heavy load uphills or high speed the combustion gases went into the cooling system, pressing out the water thru the filling neck of the radiator.

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #43
redmodelt

Also as someone suggested way back, have you done a compression check to see if the head gasket is blown? Seems to me when you posted before you were going thru the same thing, drive the car and add water after each drive and was told the same thing, the water only need to cover the top plate in the radiator by 1 inch or so. After the water level in the radiator reaches it's running level, this is where it wants to be, adding more is not going to help except watering the asphalt.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #44
RonC

You can't overfill the radiator. the water level will adjust with the excess coming out the overflow pipe. Don't clog the pipe it's there for a reason. Fix the problem. Do you have a thermostat? If so take it out it could be restricting flow. As was mentioned check your timing. Use the method on a barnyard.com. Improper timing can quickly overheat your engine
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #45
H. L. Chauvin

Hidden deeply in your first post and referred to often above:

"I have replaced the radiator"; and, "Still over heating after about 30 minutes".

In accordance with some of the above hints, ever think if you now tried 379 new radiators, could the:

"Still over heating after about 30 minutes" scenario still occur.

Yes or no?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #46
callcoy

What has worked for me was to reverse flush the block, remove the lower hose and upper hose, stick the garden hose in the outlet, the top angled casting with a rag wrapped it around to prevent leakage. Use full pressure, you can not hurt anything, this will blow out most rust debris.

Reverse flush the radiator from the bottom to the top, do not use full pressure or you will damage your new possession.

When you are done reinstall the hoses, buy 3 gallons of white vinegar and fill your system, do not over fill, you do not want vinegar on your paint so carry a damp rag with you while you are driving.

Test your hoses for leaks, then take your car out for a drive and build up some heat, you may have solved your over heating problem or not at this stage.

Leave the vinegar in for a week and drive it as often as you can, watch your temp. you really need an infrared temp meter to monitor things accurately, borrow or buy one.

Drain it all out after a week do the flush thing again, add 50-50 antifreeze and road test again, hopefully you will have solved your over heating problem.

I have had great success by adding a thermostat, we had one of our cars out today in 90+ deg. weather with a 160 thermostat and it ran all day long at 150 deg.

I don't think you said you had a dash mounted gauge, if you ever do don't trust it till you verify it with a infrared temp meter, one of my cars has a gauge that reads 45 degs. high. No I didn't check before I did all of the above.

Let us know when you succeed and what you did to whip it!