Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Texas Tom

Default Correct paint scheme for window reveals?

The body work on my 1930 Briggs town sedan is nearly complete, so it will soon be time to paint. I would appreciate advice on the proper paint scheme for window reveals, and also body striping.

The attached photo (borrowed from the MAFCA web site) shows a 1930 Briggs sedan. I've also attached a closeup photo showing the reveals on another sedan.

The window reveals on both cars are painted like those of many other -- but not all -- fordors and town sedans. While these cars' reveals cover a relatively large area along the windows' bottom edge, other cars' reveals paint a smaller portion of the lower window edge.

Which is correct? Did some town sedans come out of the factory with NO painting on the reveals (other than the upper body color)?

This car in the color photo has double striping on sides and back. Is this correct? Or should it be a single stripe?

I'm not trying to find fault with this car, which looks terrific. I just want to know what is technically correct. My research in my Model A reference books (including the Judging Standards and the Paint & finish Guide) leave me uncertain. For example, the judging standards say this about 1930 town sedans: "Most Town Sedans had reveals painted upper body color" (my emphasis).

Also: Could someone please post a photo of a fordor center post that shows where the upper body color (on the post itself) begins and ends)?

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30briggsMB.jpg (122.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Window reveal.jpg (128.1 KB, 75 views)
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
springerpete

Default Re: Correct paint scheme for window reveals?

Check out the MAFCA's book " Model A Ford Paint and Finish Guide. " I think you'll find everything you need to know in there.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
peters180a/170b

Today i bought a "PINT" of Aurora Red just in case something like a chip shows up on my wheels.. Red cost the most ! so they say ....PPG Concept paint $106.00 ....just in case for a touch up . When gas goes up so does paint...So Texas Tom, i used 1 gallon on 7 wheels and you will need another 2 gallons on a two tone. Not counting inside trim. Paint everything BLACK....L.O.L....good luck [and the cost for [hardner??]
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Briggs bodied straight windshield Fordor models and Cabriolets had window reveals with a double step along the bottom (reaching the belt line) while all other bodies had just the first or single step like the sides and top. That is why Briggs bodies had the reveal color lower along the bottom.

In the MAFCA paint guide we show the '30 Town Sedan window reveals painted lower body color based on original Ford literature. With that said however, Original examples I've found DID NOT have the reveals painted separate from the upper body regardless whether Murray or Briggs. See examples below.

Original 1930 Briggs 155-D Town Sedan. 25k original miles, assembled May 1930.

Close-up of doors, stripe, and reveals.

April 1930 assembled 155-C Murray bodied Town Sedan before original paint removed for restoration.

Archive photo taken early 1930. 155-C Murray bodied Town Sedan.

Close-up of stripe and reveals. Murray bodies had a second stripe surrounding the three windows on each side.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

Tom, My experience with a 1930 Briggs Town sedan, in what appears to be Kuwanee and Elkpoint greens is what Marco said, The reveals are painted the upper body color.
Btw , I'm finding evidence of the original apple green pinstriping too!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Texas Tom

Marco:
Your info is extremely helpful. Many thanks!
Tom Torget (aka Texas Tom)

P.S. Would you have a photo showing the paint break on the center post of a two-tone fordor sedan?
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tom View Post
P.S. Would you have a photo showing the paint break on the center post of a two-tone fordor sedan?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Glenn C.

Thanks Marco....You have made my life easier also. Time is money or time away from driving.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote