Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Tod

Default B head inquiry.

I was contacted about an old post I made about B heads. The question regarded making one that was basically stock looking yet having a high-compression chamber. Today I took some time to do a little model work in that direction. I figure I would use the Snyder 6:1 chamber with all its internal strengthening ribs. They would be available in iron or aluminum.

It seems these would be in far less demand than other heads and would be more expensive due to less interest. But, if enough people are interested a short run could get pricing down.

Note: The picture shows an incomplete model. I need to place the spark plug bosses where the chamber dictates.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B head.jpg (21.1 KB, 97 views)
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: B head inquiry.

In my opinion, a Model "A" hi-compression head on a Model "B" engine is the way to go. I agree that the market for a Model "B" head is risky.

I have been running Model "B" engines for many years with Model "B" and Model "A" cylinder heads. It has been my experience that Model "B" water pumps are relatively scarce and pricey. As for reliability, the leakless Model "A" pumps are far superior to what's on the market for the Model "B." Parts for the Model "A" water pump are much more prevalent, and less expensive.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
In my opinion, a Model "A" hi-compression head on a Model "B" engine is the way to go. I agree that the market for a Model "B" head is risky.

I have been running Model "B" engines for many years with Model "B" and Model "A" cylinder heads. It has been my experience that Model "B" water pumps are relatively scarce and pricey. As for reliability, the leakless Model "A" pumps are far superior to what's on the market for the Model "B." Parts for the Model "A" water pump are much more prevalent, and less expensive.
That seems to be the conventional wisdom. But, there are people that want these heads and can't get a high-compression version. For all that it will cost me to tool up it will be worth it if I can sell some here and there. If Snyder's will put them in their catalog, we can make them as needed. Other dealers might be interested also.

Tod
Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
tinkirk

Tod
Maybe you could go one up and create a 6.5 head or 7.o while your in the start up stage

Tinkirk/Terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

If you are going to all that trouble, I would suggest using a Winfield chamber, maybe the crows-foot.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
Tod

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
If you are going to all that trouble, I would suggest using a Winfield chamber, maybe the crows-foot.
That's what I was thinking. I thought Don had approved the 6:1 but I must have misunderstood. So I was thinking a modified crows-foot with the stock-style spark plug hole.

Tod
Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkirk View Post
Tod
Maybe you could go one up and create a 6.5 head or 7.o while your in the start up stage

Tinkirk/Terry
Yep.

Tod
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
Tod

This is where I am so far. The top is finished and ready to cut. I modified a Winfield crow's foot to get a chamber. Not sure if I like it, though. I think it would need testing.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171023_153132.jpg (22.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20171023_153218.jpg (22.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20171023_153324.jpg (23.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
...I need to place the spark plug bosses where the chamber dictates...

Tod
Tod,

Your comment about the location of the spark plug bosses scares me. I would think the only market for the head would be to people that want to pass concourse judging but want a little more power. Relocating the plugs would defeat this. Also on a restored car the distributer is connected to the spark plugs with brass strips instead of wires. Changing the location of the plugs would probably result in these brass strips not fitting. You should also consider placing a block "C" on the head as was done on the originals.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
...I need to place the spark plug bosses where the chamber dictates...

Tod
Tod,

Your comment about the location of the spark plug bosses scares me. I would think the only market for the head would be to people that want to pass concourse judging but want a little more power. Relocating the plugs would defeat this. Also on a restored car the distributer is connected to the spark plugs whit brass strips instead of wires. Changing the location of the plugs would probably result in these brass strips not fitting. I admire your work.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-24-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Tod,

Your comment about the location of the spark plug bosses scares me. I would think the only market for the head would be to people that want to pass concourse judging but want a little more power. Relocating the plugs would defeat this. Also on a restored car the distributer is connected to the spark plugs whit brass strips instead of wires. Changing the location of the plugs would probably result in these brass strips not fitting. I admire your work.

Charlie Stephens
I think you misunderstand. I meant that the sparkplug bosses would need to be added to the previous model based on the stock location that is in the chamber pocket.

Tod
Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
Smog Tech

With my Winfield Redhead (7.0) with crows foot combustion chambers the spark plug is between the valves, not over the intake valve. With higher compression ratios the part plug location becomes very important. No I can't use the stock distributor cap and number 3 spark plug does interfere with the distributor advance-retard arm.
Smog Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
I think you misunderstand. I meant that the sparkplug bosses would need to be added to the previous model based on the stock location that is in the chamber pocket.

Tod
Tod,

Yes I did misunderstand. I assumed you had a revised combustion chamber and were going to relocate the plugs to the best location for the revised combustion chamber.

Charlie Stephens
Old 10-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog Tech View Post
With my Winfield Redhead (7.0) with crows foot combustion chambers the spark plug is between the valves, not over the intake valve. With higher compression ratios the part plug location becomes very important. No I can't use the stock distributor cap and number 3 spark plug does interfere with the distributor advance-retard arm.
Snyder's 6:1 has the spark plug in the same place as the stock head. I want to try what I have pictured and see how it works. I may do it on the first engine we built or find someone willing to be the test monkey.

Tod