Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Lananthony

Default 1930 Engine Block Flush

Good day all! I recently received my new Berg's built radiator and I wanted to pick your brain about preferred and effective ways of cleaning out the engine block before installing my new radiator. The old radiator has already been removed, therefore, i am looking for the best way to clean only the block to remove any and all rust/debris. I've done some research on both this forum and the general internet and there are too many conflicting methods of cleaning the block. Background info: The "A" hasn't been started in over 10 years, has been garage kept in Northern New York, and hasn't received any maintenance attention since inheriting it early this year. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lananthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: 1930 Engine Block Flush

After you back flush the block with Evaporust or something similar, put one of these in the top hose and clean weekly if you are driving it daily. You can't get a better deal.

http://www.ganofilters.com/
Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Dollar Bill

Here's a less expensive and just as effective alternative to Evaporust: RUST 911

Block off lower inlet on your engine and fill with rust remover.

I would let it soak for a couple of days before draining - The rust remover may be used again.

Back flush the block thoroughly before introducing your new radiator.

Happy Motoring!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

back flush with an old swimming pool pump or basement sump pump (not the garden hose variety)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Synchro909

I raided my wife's stocking drawer and put one of her sock length stockings in the top of the top hose so that it was held by the clamp and the flow of water carried it into the top tank. When I removed it, I took better than an egg cup full of rust flakes out of it. (Then I put it back where I got it - NOT!)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
hardtimes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I raided my wife's stocking drawer and put one of her sock length stockings in the top of the top hose so that it was held by the clamp and the flow of water carried it into the top tank. When I removed it, I took better than an egg cup full of rust flakes out of it. (Then I put it back where I got it - NOT!)
Hey Synchro909,
Hm, the other day I was talking with Mrs and mentioned such stockings for doing just as you have done. She stated to me....those old stockings haven't been around since (her mom wore them)who knows when !

Guess one of my wool socks will not work, eh ?

So, just this morning poured in a pint of Rust911. We'll soon see how that did the job !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
fastroadster

How we use to do it in the shop was pull off top hose of radiator (on radiator side) and pull off bottom hose (same as top) and put a flush gun in the top hose. Give it a few blasts until water comes out clean. Hook hoses up, and add a little soluable oil. Run for a few days drain out add antifreeze. Done............ We never added any type of flush, just plain water. Everything loose will come out. Radiator doesn't rust the block does.
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Synchro909,
Hm, the other day I was talking with Mrs and mentioned such stockings for doing just as you have done. She stated to me....those old stockings haven't been around since (her mom wore them)who knows when !

Guess one of my wool socks will not work, eh ?

So, just this morning poured in a pint of Rust911. We'll soon see how that did the job !
What I used maybe shouldn't be called stockings - they are more like socks made from stocking like material. A moment on the sewing machine and a piece of cheesecloth would produce something usable but not as fine as what I used.