Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default 6 Hours For Points... I Have Questions

I am 59 years old and understand points, condenser and cap, rotor basics. So my new to me ,three years ago, A has a "modern" clip and a Nu Rex plate. I got the basics and went to change the points and condenser, cap and rotor in anticipation of driving 200 miles to Gettysburg.

I learned the "modern" clip is tricky to get exactly where it does not ground to the top plate (first question...is this tricky or am I missing something)?

Second problem (question) the points seemed not to close. I had a long session doing them and then put a test light on them and found they looked to open and close but never really closed, so I very slightly pushed the arm after putting a screwdriver between the rubbing block and cam. ( Question- have any others found this or did I miss something?)

Last question: Set the point gap to .20 and the car now runs good. Took it out fast to test ALL SPEEDS. Idles slow at full retarded and slow throttle - max speed was 58MPH no miss. Is 58 about right full open and no miss?

Thanks.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
captndan

Default Re: 6 Hours For Points... I Have Questions

Many repo points are defective. I go with NAPA for ford. You also may need to replace the points cam.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Why are you changing any of those parts??????

They do not go bad often, were they failing?

I know my brother is still using the points that came on his car in 1970.

You used to change the points out yearly because it made money for the shops and you drove 20000 miles a year. Most A's do not go 5000 miles in their restored life.

Just lube the cam check the gap and use an A&L burn out proof condenser and drive.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
P.S.

If it runs smooth at all speeds, AND it can do 58 MPH, stop right there. Call it good.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
jg61hawk

Man OH Man I said what Kevin said when in about two hours for a ten minute job, but what about my three questions> PS said 58 is good...should I have to have bent the arm....Captndan is that what you meant? You're a man of few words! What is the story on the "MODERN" clip?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

The "clip" I'd guess is the terminal on the bottom of the points mount/pivot. If so, then yes, it should be bent up along side the nut securing it. If everything is working fine now, which it sounds like it is, then I'd leave it alone. 58 is fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
JDupuis

Idles smooth advanded/retarded, full/slow throttle...58 mph. No misses. Yup.. I' d be happy!! Congrats, I think you've got it. ( cheering noises in the background ). Jeff
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
jg61hawk

Hah not only that...I just put the spark to full retard and throttle to up to slow than I pulled the wires (with a plastic handled screwdriver) and it runs on one cylinder...cool! I ain't smart but I am tenacious! I plan on driving to Gettysburg from Central NJ for the MARC meet. I have never driven a car of this vintage like that. I have a 1961 Studebaker I have driven all over the place, but this 88 year old car... I know it wants to be driven and not sit,... but I wonder as I wander...(there is song there).
Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
P.S.

Just remember- The Model A motor is a LOT happier at 50 MPH or less (assuming stock gearing, no overdrive, etc.).
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
jg61hawk

Trust me 45 is fast when I drive it. I just wanted to be sure I had it right. You'll see some other recent posts I'm planning on driving to Gettysburg from NJ (about 6 Model A hours ...12 wife hours!)