Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Bruce Adams

Default Some Hershey Observations

Hershey was as much fun as ever, though I felt attendance by both Flea Market Vendors and Shoppers was down. There was a great number of German shoppers who seemed to be BUYING rather than US lookers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171004_220443_resized.jpg (79.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 20171004_220511_resized.jpg (78.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_102947_resized.jpg (88.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_103435_resized.jpg (98.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_133213_resized.jpg (86.4 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_134942_resized.jpg (94.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_142634_resized.jpg (125.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_105423_resized.jpg (108.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_110455_resized.jpg (103.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_120233_resized.jpg (104.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_120321_resized.jpg (102.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_120612_resized.jpg (99.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_121145_resized.jpg (99.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_121749_resized.jpg (88.0 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 20171006_123452_resized.jpg (102.9 KB, 164 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Some Hershey Observations

The car corral did not seem to have as many cars, but I didn't get over there until Friday, so that may have been the reason. I felt that I should not have been in the same building as some of those auction cars!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bruce, regarding attendance being down, I have not attended the Hershey meet in several years, and several others that I know did not attend this year. For me personally, each day I live something very similar to what Hershey is for most folks. Each day I look on eBay and on certain classifieds looking for parts to purchase. Almost a day does not go by that I am not talking by phone or face-to-face with a fellow hobbyist. The only things I give-up by not attending Hershey is not wearing out a pair of shoes, -and the unrecoverable time & expenses associated with traveling to/from, -and all of the fees associated with attending.

In the States, we have the ability to easily find what we need from the comfort of our recliner if we are willing to put forth an effort. Getting it transported to us is not that hard either. I think many people now view attending Hershey with the same mindset as I have. The German collectors probably do not have the same luxuries as we have in that regard, and so they are coming for the Hershey experience that many of us have already had.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bruce, regarding attendance being down, I have not attended the Hershey meet in several years, and several others that I know did not attend this year. For me personally, each day I live something very similar to what Hershey is for most folks. Each day I look on eBay and on certain classifieds looking for parts to purchase. Almost a day does not go by that I am not talking by phone or face-to-face with a fellow hobbyist. The only things I give-up by not attending Hershey is not wearing out a pair of shoes, -and the unrecoverable time & expenses associated with traveling to/from, -and all of the fees associated with attending.

In the States, we have the ability to easily find what we need from the comfort of our recliner if we are willing to put forth an effort. Getting it transported to us is not that hard either. I think many people now view attending Hershey with the same mindset as I have. The German collectors probably do not have the same luxuries as we have in that regard, and so they are coming for the Hershey experience that many of us have already had.
I only go one day, because it is usually all I can get off of work (and away from wifey). This was my third year. I usually find a benefit from A) heavy stuff: 32 transmission, set of bumpers, cast Iron high compression Model A heads. B) I have a model B which is more unusual. I can usually get B fuel pumps or other items way cheaper than online by finding them in other parts on a table.

I also enjoy seeing the stuff I don't buy, old motorcycles, flat head blowers, old cars etc. I will still go next year.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
leo

Hey Brent, I'm not a sports fan but I'd say it's like the difference between going to see the game or watching it on TV. There is a difference and I bet most people would rather go to the game.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hey Brent, I'm not a sports fan but I'd say it's like the difference between going to see the game or watching it on TV. There is a difference and I bet most people would rather go to the game.
While you definitely have a point, the latest trend sure doesn't appear that way with the NFL, does it!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I think you should not compare games with a car show.
A car you can inspect and view better in real and a game you can watch better on TV. There is no way you can see all the details of a game live - on TV you see any angle and shot.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
ronn

Well said Brent

another thought, the effort the foreign folks make, whether Norway or Sweden or Australia is truly amazing! I only live 2 1/2 hours away and each year I say will be my last. Biggest problem for me, is I keep looking back and remembering what Hershey was and now isnt, rather then just enjoying the moment.
The Germans could prob buy on ebay just as easily as us, but I guess everyone is not willing to ship outside of the US. I certainly wont because it is so difficult to insure off of US soil and have already had 2 losses over the years. Making it not worth it to me.

Anyway, I am curious to see where Hershey goes in the future. I am expecting some consolidation of spaces. The problems seem to be people passing and the paperwork for sales tax from PA. You dont fill out forms when you have a yard sale, so the inconvenience is a bit of a pain. Some work around it with a 1.00 table where they leave a box for the cash. A smart move in my opinion............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Oldbluoval

PA needs to wise-up on the sales tax thingy! I was a practicing CPA for 38 years and have a reasonable knowledge of sales tax. TN has what we called "the Girl Scout cookie sale rule". If the event is once a year, it is not subject to the sales tax.
I do not know if the PA DofR paints with a broad brush and says Hershey events are all one-in-the-same (I know there are more events at Hershey having to do with cars) and thus not just "one event" Also, a professional vendor who visits PA more often should be subjected to collecting sales tax. Laws are laws but when they stifle it isn't a good thing (albeit all taxes stifle!!)

Since I make a line of certain parts, I take a display board and take orders to be shipped when I return home. Also, many of my parts are not built until ordered as they are rather low demand but necessary when needed.

Ronn's assessment is a goodie....

"Biggest problem for me, is I keep looking back and remembering what Hershey was and now isn't, rather then just enjoying the moment."

I too am guilty and I really degrade my own visits by my perceptions! Also, many of my oldtimers (me too) have either passed or quit going so that affects me too.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
Wilky

I agree with your observations Bruce. I was there from Tuesday morning onward until Friday when I left at 11:00am. I was really shocked when leaving that the crowds seemed to be finally pouring in at that time on Friday. The NW parking field was completely full and cars were then being parked in a small field to the west of that giant NW parking field.
I also noticed a large number of German shoppers this year --- and thought it unusual that many were wearing black shirts --- hot during the great sunny weather.
Brent's points out good reasons for what we are observing. I would add that we all know that many of the Hershey vendors and shoppers are getting up in years --- so every year there will be some who are no longer able to attend.
Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
old31

Bruce, thanks for the pics.

I give up, what is the red car in the top middle photo? to the right of the woodie
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
mhsprecher

I give up, what is the red car in the top middle photo? to the right of the woodie[/QUOTE]

A Ghia at the auction.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I give up, what is the red car in the top middle photo? to the right of the woodie
A Ghia at the auction.[/QUOTE]

Its a DUAL-GHIA
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

NFL.... what's that? I quit watching that nonsense this year for all the right reasons and refuse to waste my time watching those overpaid dummies. Plus the Bears suck anyway, is Cuttler back in another jersey I did skim the paper the other day,,, they are pathetic.

The picture of all the gas globes and signs, they all be fakes, they're re-pops. Not much value in any of that. I'm sure the unenlightened got took.

Never been to Hershey I was going this year and couldn't, something came up. Had to cancel my B&B reservation gave up some cash but it had to happen. Never say never one day I will get out there. One day. Each year for the last three years I had to scrub the plans somebody close to the family was dying from cancer, one year I was dying from cancer but still here, this year it was someone else. Must be the fall season
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #15
brum1

more Hershey pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0617.jpg (125.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0635.jpg (72.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0621.jpg (85.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0661.jpg (63.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0681.jpg (40.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0636.jpg (73.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0640.jpg (82.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #16
denis4x4

Brent makes a good point and I would only add to it that buying and selling on line might be easy, but the personal touch is lacking. Meeting new people face to face with similar interests is part of the fun of attending swap meets. And, you always see something that you had no intention of buying!
Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
willobs

Dual Ghia?
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Bulligen

I have been messing with old cars for 45 years and have never been able to go. I still work everyday to make ends meet. I was lucky to get in the hobby when a kid could save up and buy an old jalopy ( and I still have it). I would love to go some year before I can't enjoy it.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #19
brum1

Another great year at Hershey, I found Thursday traffic to be quite heavy, I did not notice any less cars in the coral? To me shopping online is like playing a hunting video game as opposed to being outside in the world; If you consider it a vacation the cost and time is not an issue
Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I have been messing with old cars for 45 years and have never been able to go. I still work everyday to make ends meet. I was lucky to get in the hobby when a kid could save up and buy an old jalopy ( and I still have it). I would love to go some year before I can't enjoy it.
Life is short, take time to smell the rust. Go NEXT year. Two days minimum!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote