Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #661
Als48

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Sugarmaker, I like your new "Old" pictures. I think your truck is great! Enjoying the ride.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #662
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris - have you done a compression check on it? I would surely do that just to be dang sure the valves and rings are seating. Once I've done that, I'd be wondering about the carb - especially since you said it wants to stall on braking . . . that almost has to be fuel related.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #663
sugarmaker

Al, Dale, Folk,
I played with the 32 most of the day. Got the rear lights and licence plate in position. Planning to use some of the lights that were on the truck when I got it.
Picked up bulbs and items for retro of headlights to more modern bulbs. I believe I have narrowed my miss in the engine down to a very worn distributor shaft or bushings.
More on that later.
You guys know how much time these things take even if your not doing a restoration. Which I am surely not!
Went for a short ride about dusk. Just getting the feel for this ragged ok truck!
Had the wife in the cab running the starter while I did a compression test. I forgot to open the carb so my numbers seem high. All 4 cylinders we're about 80 lb. May try that again? But at least they were very consistent.
Will look at ordering bushings for the distributor.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:40 PM   #664
Tinker

Nice pictures, add a little black and white (or desaturation) and a bit of film grain, it might be hard to tell if it was yesterday or 90 yrs ago.

Looking great!

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:40 PM   #665
alanwoodieman

if you did not open carb--numbers will be lower--no free air to compress--less compression!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #666
sugarmaker

Alan, Tinker,
Thanks. I just do not know it all and don't claim too. But spec say new engine should be around 64 psi. I would expect my numbers to drop to that range. Still learning on this end! Thanks for the support.
Yea the picture are just something I do to try to make this old stuff interesting rather than work. Tomorrow the distributor and beyond! Ok it sounds good when I write it!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #667
Tinker

Hey octane ratings in the late 30's was 40 and aviation gasoline 75-80. Maybe a reason we don't set timing to pinging anymore.

Model B Compression
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135173

Last edited by Tinker; 10-20-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #668
sugarmaker

Guys,

Headlamps may be something like this:

We keep thinking and working on things as if this will actually come together and work some day. Being a designer for a long time there is a marked difference between the concept, whats on paper, and the reality, of the final working product!
Stay tuned!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-20-2021, 11:11 PM   #669
Brian

Chris, those modern bulbs may or may not work to satisfaction. What is important is that the filaments of the bulb are dead centre of the parabola of the reflector. The beam produced without the lens/diffuser in place, should be a parallel beam. Moving the chosen bulb forward/aft will ultimately show where it should be; it'll either focus on a pinpoint, be widespread, or, a nice parallel beam. Good luck
Old 10-20-2021, 11:24 PM   #670
cas3

Talking Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

If you use those modern plastic turn signal lights...I'll never talk to you again!! To me, thats the worst thing when i see "hardware store" lights for turn signals on old cars. Why not use 32 light buckets, replacing one socket with a duel filament type so you can have brake, turn, and running lights in the same bucket that is period correct for your nice clean old truck. do a google search for light sockets, and the choices will make your head spin. pick the ones you like, make them fit, and throw the plastic in the trash
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:44 PM   #671
koates

Chris, those H4 Qh bulbs I would not be using because for a start you would ruin those original 1932 headlight reflectors by cutting them to fit the H4 sockets. Better to buy LEDs with a BAy 15 base which will fit straight into the original twin contact bulb bases with no modifications needed. LEDs focus better, are brighter and use less amps. Regards, Kevin

Last edited by koates; 10-21-2021 at 12:27 AM.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #672
DavidG

Chris,

If you want really good light from your headlamps, apart from the bulbs and their fit in the reflectors, you'll need to use a quality silver polish to clean the reflectors. Judging from your photos, at least one of your reflectors appears to have its silver plating pretty well intact and I hope that the other one is equally good. Headlamp reflectors are a place that should be patina free.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #673
Bored&Stroked

I like the idea of LED bulbs, wish they were around when I did mine. I used an aftermarket setup - had new reflectors designed for the halogen bulbs that I have. Lots of options here - pick your poison! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #674
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Chris, those modern bulbs may or may not work to satisfaction. What is important is that the filaments of the bulb are dead centre of the parabola of the reflector. The beam produced without the lens/diffuser in place, should be a parallel beam. Moving the chosen bulb forward/aft will ultimately show where it should be; it'll either focus on a pinpoint, be widespread, or, a nice parallel beam. Good luck
The chance of getting the parabolic center for me in my small brain world are like a blind squirrel finding a acorn. May try doing some prototype testing.
Thanks for the information. I do appreciate the engineering and science behind all these items that go in to making something a complex as a simple 32 Ford truck!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #675
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
If you use those modern plastic turn signal lights...I'll never talk to you again!! To me, thats the worst thing when i see "hardware store" lights for turn signals on old cars. Why not use 32 light buckets, replacing one socket with a duel filament type so you can have brake, turn, and running lights in the same bucket that is period correct for your nice clean old truck. do a google search for light sockets, and the choices will make your head spin. pick the ones you like, make them fit, and throw the plastic in the trash
Cas,
Hope we will continue to have some conversations in the future! Wasn't sure which plastic turn signal lights you were referring too the ones on the rear or the ones on the front or both?? Sounds like any or all? Appreciate your views on the truck and its appearance also.
Most of the safety additions that were added to the truck when I got it are at least 70 years old. And I would like to have good visibility on the road (if it ever gets there). And also some story's about the previous owner and als a new friend that provided some of the lights too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #676
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Chris, those H4 Qh bulbs I would not be using because for a start you would ruin those original 1932 headlight reflectors by cutting them to fit the H4 sockets. Better to buy LEDs with a BAy 15 base which will fit straight into the original twin contact bulb bases with no modifications needed. LEDs focus better, are brighter and use less amps. Regards, Kevin
Crap, Now you tell me! Well that didnt work out good. Sorry. That always been my problem doing something before doing the research. Will try to recover now as the good reflector as David Mentions now has a hole in it.
Maybe something good will come out of this like many of my other adventures in life too.
Thanks for the information on the many choices for the headlights. Grab another cup of coffee, I will probably do some other not so great move today as I look at the distributor again.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #677
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Chris,

If you want really good light from your headlamps, apart from the bulbs and their fit in the reflectors, you'll need to use a quality silver polish to clean the reflectors. Judging from your photos, at least one of your reflectors appears to have its silver plating pretty well intact and I hope that the other one is equally good. Headlamp reflectors are a place that should be patina free.
David,
Thanks! Yes one is more reflective that the other good observation. Will see if they shine up the same. Probably not.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #678
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I like the idea of LED bulbs, wish they were around when I did mine. I used an aftermarket setup - had new reflectors designed for the halogen bulbs that I have. Lots of options here - pick your poison! LOL
You guys are on the ball on this stuff. I am impressed with the knowledge and creativity from the many contributors on the Ford Barn. Thanks Dale. Will try to make some improvements as we move along.
You have and engine your building now? Or a car coming together??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #679
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Chris - have you done a compression check on it? I would surely do that just to be dang sure the valves and rings are seating. Once I've done that, I'd be wondering about the carb - especially since you said it wants to stall on braking . . . that almost has to be fuel related.
Dale,
The stalling may have just been from the rough running? Will look at the distributor some more and maybe that will be the key to improving the engine.
Compression was equal in all cylinders. Except as mentioned I forgot to open the throttle. So with the numbers the same I believe the pistons, rings and valves are about right. Check that off the list for now. Maybe the farmers overhaul will work? As noted I am not a engine builder, I can take thinks apart and put them together that's about my limits.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #680
DavidG

Chris,

If in the end you replace the reflector with the enlarged hole in it, please do not let anyone convince you that chrome plated reflectors are as good as silver-plated ones as that is simply not true. There is a reason that they were silver plated to start with. Silver plating has become expensive these days, but there's no substitute when it comes to non-sealed-beam head lamp reflectors.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote