Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Barn Junk

Default Finding Babbiting Mains Repair Shop ?

I have an uncracked 35 babbit motor with a big chunk out of the rear main (needs rebabbiting and currently bored .040. Have some new .060 flat-top pistons that would go with some very nice original 33-34 alum heads, I have. I live in E. Wash where good, old car-oriented machine shops seem difficult to find. My question is " are there any good/reasonable, experienced shops that could handle the re-babbiting in the Spokane, Seattle WA, Portland,OR or Boise, ID areas? ". That's about as far as I want to drive.

Also can a 1936-38 LB crank be cut down to fit the babbited block? I should also have a 35 crank that is not too far gone.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
D. Jones

Default Re: Finding Babbiting Mains Repair Shop ?

Last year? I heard about a shop east of Redmond, Oregon that could re-babbit blocks for model A's. I suppose they could do a later Ford as well. I don't know what the shop or owners name is or if they are still in business and the friend that told me about the shop just left for six weeks in Italy.

You might want to check with our local Model A club, I think the club name is "High Desert Model A's, but am not certain. I don't know any of their other members or I would try to check for you. Surely someone on this or some other forum must know who and how to contact the Model A group.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
paul2748

If you haven't already, make a posting in the Model A group.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
B-O-B

Probably gonna be spencive & you have a later crank so why not get the block to take the L Bs
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Barn Junk

Ya B-O-B, getting the look I want while using parts I have is still going to be expensive. Good "pre" 37 21 studders are hard to find. I want to avoid the water pump cover plates on the 37s.
I'm hoping to find a shop I can work with.

The 35 block I have currently uses a undersized crank with the only problem a chunk of babbit missing at the rear main. They probably shut it down with loss of oil pressure and pulled motor at that time.

My hope is maybe to find a shop that could repour just the rear main and then align bore the block back to standard. If a LB crank could have the mains turned to 1935 std main diameter, that could then possibly be used.
Not many shops doing custom old-timey machine work anymore, I guess.

Thanks D Jones, I see they are having a swap meet in Redmond, OR next weekend. Maybe will drive down and ask some of the seller there what they might know about a shop there.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
D. Jones

" quote" ;Thanks D Jones, I see they are having a swap meet in Redmond, OR next weekend. Maybe will drive down and ask some of the seller there what they might know about a shop there.

I'm planning on going to the swap meet also. Going to look for another starter and another generator and possibly overdrive solenoids. I'll try to remember to ask about the shop in case you don't make it.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #7
McKay59AB

Babbitt bearings can be done near Spokane at Strong Engine. He is located in Otis Orchards. P.M. me for the phone number.
McKay59AB is offline   Reply With Quote