Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Coolant additives

Anyone try one of these:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...t_results.html
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
john in illinois

Default Re: Coolant additives

I was using 30% glycol and water wetter. In 95 deg temps the car ran 180 at cruise under load.
Yesterday I tried distilled water and water wetter. 95 deg-170 under load.

This is with a clean engine and radiator.160 thermostat.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Old182

In the spirit of discussion, I'll jump in: Buy this stuff if any of it makes you feel good, but do yourself a favor before spending: Make them justify why you should spend your money with a good comparison - which this IS NOT. First, the Specific Heat of water is 0.998 cal/g *C, ethylene glycol (most antifreeze base) is 0.574 cal/g *C. This means EG will transport heat about half as good as water. Note the comparisons using just water showed the best results almost exclusively. Duh. Looking at their data, the "worst condition" car, 50/50 Honda antifreeze/distilled water mix, means all testing should have been with the same base mixture but with the different additives. I think there are obvious reasons why they failed to do this. Also, their mixtures of antifreeze and water are all over the map: Fifty/fifty, 70/30, 30/70. Finally, the ambient temperature was dropping as the testing progressed, stacking the odds in favor of the additives. These may be the best products since sliced bread, but the testing team wouldn't last a week in a real lab. If you really want to know whether any of these products work, drain your Model A engine and fill it with clean distilled water. Take data and then add your favorite Moose Juice additive and retest, keeping conditions as close as possible for each test. When you're satisfied the product really works, buy it and endorse it. Sorry for being such a skeptical nerd - I used to get paid for doing this .
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old182 View Post
In the spirit of discussion, I'll jump in: Buy this stuff if any of it makes you feel good, but do yourself a favor before spending: Make them justify why you should spend your money with a good comparison - which this IS NOT. First, the Specific Heat of water is 0.998 cal/g *C, ethylene glycol (most antifreeze base) is 0.574 cal/g *C. This means EG will transport heat about half as good as water. Note the comparisons using just water showed the best results almost exclusively. Duh. Looking at their data, the "worst condition" car, 50/50 Honda antifreeze/distilled water mix, means all testing should have been with the same base mixture but with the different additives. I think there are obvious reasons why they failed to do this. Also, their mixtures of antifreeze and water are all over the map: Fifty/fifty, 70/30, 30/70. Finally, the ambient temperature was dropping as the testing progressed, stacking the odds in favor of the additives. These may be the best products since sliced bread, but the testing team wouldn't last a week in a real lab. If you really want to know whether any of these products work, drain your Model A engine and fill it with clean distilled water. Take data and then add your favorite Moose Juice additive and retest, keeping conditions as close as possible for each test. When you're satisfied the product really works, buy it and endorse it. Sorry for being such a skeptical nerd - I used to get paid for doing this .
You are as skeptical a scientist as I am. Today I tooled down to Advance Auto and O'Reilly and looked at Red Line Water Wetter and Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant. There used to be a Zerex product but apparently not made any more. When I shook the containers lots of foam formed for both and didn't go away, not good. Today I drained the anti-freeze and put in distilled water. Anti freeze is not really needed as our freezes in SE Texas last only a few hours at a time and just a couple times a year. The temperature dropped from 190 to 180-185 on my modern temperature gauge.

I ordered some DEI radiator relief for $22 from Summit Racing and will add some when I get it and report the results. The temperature around here in SE Texas doesn't vary much. It is 93-95F every day from May 15-Oct 1. I don't want to run just water as it doesn't have the corrosion additives, etc of anti-freeze.

I have a brand new Brassworks radiator already. I'm about to receive a newly rebuilt inserted engine from Pete's Automotive in Albaquerque, NM with lots of goodies, new Brierly cam, new Chinese crankshaft, new inserted rods, and Brumfield head.

So I thought I'd do a little cheap experimentation with coolants.

I know the biggest factor in lowering coolant temperature will be with the high compression head as it is much more thermally efficient. I would have put the Brumfield head on the current engine but it didn't look like I could get the studs out without putting the engine out of service.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Paul from Maine

If I run antifreeze, my temp gauge reads about ten degrees hotter than if I use tap water. I don't know the exact numbers because I bought my temp gauge at Tractor Supply and it only has markings for 130, 190, 250 and 280 degrees, but it was cheap and doesn't require any current. I put the probe in the upper radiator hose and am very pleased with it.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
cars56

I run 80% distilled 20% glycol 50/50 and 12 oz Royal Ice
The jury is out, just tried this formula
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Cajun

I believe that the Water Wetter and similar additives are a waste of money in the vintage car radiators. There are simpler solutions without cost. I have tried these in a vintage MG and my Model A. Neither did anything in a controlled situation.

In the case of the Model A, over heating was cured by dropping the percentage of antifreeze from 50 to 25 or less. Use anti corrosion additives if you do this.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
In the case of the Model A, over heating was cured by dropping the percentage of antifreeze from 50 to 25 or less. Use anti corrosion additives if you do this.
My plan is to use 100% water and these additives as the anti-corrosion part
Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
A-Jay

Just for the record, I found Water Wetter on sale at Advance auto parts this week 7-13-10 about 2 dollars off. Its hard to pay 10 bucks for 12 oz.They say 1 bottle per 3 gal of cooling. I have been using it with Distilled water have been running cool, but also have new HD 10 fin Radiator.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote