Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
ABento

Default Timing problem on B

Still working on the canopy express BB, I haven't been happy with the way it runs, the timing has been giving me fits, so I bought the Nu-Rex timing wrench thinking I was too stupid to time it with out, it ran worse so now I'm digging into it and the dist plate has had the slot for the advance modified it now has an added slot extension towards the drivers side of the dist, I've set timing to the center of the orginal part of the slot and it runs poorly, so on a guess I checked TDC, now if I understand correctly once you set it to TDC with the piston you would roll the engine the 19 degrees for the timing pin to fall into place, not on this motor, you have to back the crank up about 10 degrees to get the pin to fall into place, this is where I'm lost, some more, I'm thinking that someone put this engine together incorrectly, if so what kind of pain in the neck is it to set the cam and crank gear correct, can I do it in the truck by raising the front, or does this need to be pulled out.

Thanks

Aaron
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Timing problem on B

If you are using a Model B distributer you need the Model B timing cover. See attached photo. Note that the hole is at the top of the oval boss. What do you have?

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5207 (1).jpg (32.1 KB, 16 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
31Abone

Its hard to get it right if you follow the ford instructions and the instruction on internet.... but its easy once figured out ..step 1 take out screw that holds the plate from rotating, keep wire on top of plate ...step 2 move plate "as if it were a model A plate" to retard position ie "right side of car" ,start motor and here how it sounds..while runing move plate to advance position until it run good..if your timing is "far out " then you must move the rotor to advance or retard just move it about 3/16" each time..repeat above until it sounds good..in other words time as if it was a Model A..when you get to sound right at speed ..remember B dist has an auto advance when running and auto retard when stopped....test drive and restart motor when cold to see if it wants to kick back a little,if it does then retard a pinch....sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
31Abone

By the way I forgot..another tip forget pin in front its not needed..take out all plugs..plug #1 and look in hole at top of piston..you can see it just bend over a bit with a light...when its on top dead ctr.set rotor to #1 ..its nice to have it on compresion stroke..but try and start mtr you will no quick that if its out 180 degrees..if it is then turn rotor 180 ..start it this time and it will run..next step as outlined above..I done lots of times once mastered its easy..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Railcarmover
BANNED

easy way to check flyweights and advance system is to turn the distributor cam,it should spring back into position.Ford omitted a few things on the B distributor that should be done.Drilling the cam screw so you can lube the shaft and drilling through the bushing at the oiler.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MODEL B DISTRIBUTOR DRILL THIS HOLE THRU BUSHING.jpg (32.6 KB, 4 views)
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
ABento

Yes it does have the B cover, I did make sure of that,
I wanted to get away from several steps to time it,I've done that and I want to set it back to spec.
I've pulled # 1 plug and TDC the piston and from what I see it looks to me that it may have been put together incorrect as I have to back the motor up to get the pin into position, when I believe you would need to continue the same direction with the crank to get the pin into position.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABento View Post
Yes it does have the B cover, I did make sure of that,
I wanted to get away from several steps to time it,I've done that and I want to set it back to spec.
I've pulled # 1 plug and TDC the piston and from what I see it looks to me that it may have been put together incorrect as I have to back the motor up to get the pin into position, when I believe you would need to continue the same direction with the crank to get the pin into position.
Never back the motor up while setting the timing. You are trying to take the slop out in one direction.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
JRN1967

I use H. L. Chauvin's method when I set mine. See post# 4 in the thread below.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...el+distributor
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Never back the motor up while setting the timing. You are trying to take the slop out in one direction.

Charlie Stephens
Right, plus the B is timed 10* BTDC, not on TDC as the Model A is.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Right, plus the B is timed 10* BTDC, not on TDC as the Model A is.
Time it with the pin. it will find the indent before you get to TDC, it is a B motor. set the octane selector to 0 and set the point gap before setting the timing.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
ABento

I was mistaken, I was under the impression that it was 19 degrees after TDC, I just backed up the motor to find the pin setting, not to set timing or points by.
I had timed the motor the way it stated in the other post and didn't like the way ti ran, it started fine no kick back but seemed sluggish and has a slight miss above idle, plugs are gapped to 24 they were about 18 and I put another set in they helped but not much, in talking to Renners, I had got carb kit from him, he suggested getting the nu rex wrench I did and when timed with that it barely ran and kicked back, that is what got me thinking that the cam and crank might be off a tooth, I'll retime today as H.L. has posted and see how it does, and for some reason on the set screw in the dist plate that holds the plate to the body someone has modified it with a longer slot so the plate could be rotated more I'm not understanding that move either, but the plate can be set in the correct center position yet.
Thank you
Old 09-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
J Franklin

The plugs need more gap. about .032
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
You CAN back it up, BUT, you need to go past the timing position and then come forward to it.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
ABento

I timed the way H.L. posted and it ran better,I'm waiting for plugs and points, the ones I'm using are ok but the points are pitted.