Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default it is with GREAT SADNESS that I Share with you

It is with Great Sadness that I share with you the passing of Tim Kelly (63) early this morning. Tim was a early Ford Enthusiast, Model A Ford Collector, Rolls Royce collector and major contributor to MAFFI & the Museum as well as the Ford Piquette Plant. He was a member for all the National Model A Clubs as well as AACA & the Rolls Royce Club. We all had the privilege of seeing Tims collection of RARE Town cars this year in Gilmore & for that we are greatful. Our sincerest condolences to Joan, Jeff & Greg and the entire Kelly Family. May your spirit be the guiding light that gives them peace.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
HalcyonDays

Default Re: it is with GREAT SADNESS that I Share with you

Very sad to hear, he will be missed.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

Tim surely advanced the hobby and created some fantastic Model A's for posterity.
He sure had a passion and heart for the hobby. I had the good fortune of working with him on some minor parts for the town cars. It seemed like a privilege to be able to add to such cars.

I hear he was quite the professional in all aspects of his life.
Rest in peace
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
[email protected]

Very sad indeed. It was a priveledge to meet him at Gilmore and listen to his excellent talk there on the Town Cars. We all should appreciate the challenges and thoughtfulness that Tim and his family did for making this recent Model A Day a truly great event with sharing of his collection and their participation. Thank you.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-05-2018 at 04:40 PM.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Scott NY

Enjoyed the many hours I spent with Tim going over the A's he will be greatly missed.
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
burner31

Sad to hear.
Condolences to the Family.

The Turner Family in Oklahoma
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Roadster62

Tim lived two towns over from me, and would bring a car to most of the local shows. A truly nice guy, you'd look at any of his cars and get the feeling the right guy owned them. I thought his Model K Ford and the Rolls Royce were his favorite non Model A's. Prayers going out to his family and friends.

Bob
Old 11-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
dean from bozeman

Wow, this is sad news. Though I have known him for years, things that he did for our hobby, I found out from others. When/if he helped an individual Model A guy with a part for a restoration, it also was done quietly. Though in ways he was bigger than life, Tim did not inflate his presence with bragging.

Tim loved his hobby, his vehicles and was a master at finding amazing items at almost every swap meet. I will miss seeing his sly smile at swap meets. The last "pre-diagnosis" meet that I saw him at was the 2017 Hershey meet. As usual, I hoped that I'd run into him. On Thursday there he was walking through the Chocolate Field. I said, "Tim, it's good to see you". His reply was, 'It's better to be seen than viewed'. I couldn't agree more. I will miss seeing him at meets.

Rest in Peace my friend. And if there is a swap meet in the great beyond, please save an NOS part of two for the rest of us.

Dean

P.S. After writing this I walked down to the mailbox. Interestingly enough, my Nov/Dec 'The Restorer' was delivered today. On the cover is a photo of Tim's Town Cars! Coincidence.....perhaps.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 11-05-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add the P.S.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

'Pre-diagnosis' as Dean mentioned... did that mean the man had cancer? Was his death sudden? Did they know at the meet in September he was dying????

What a shame. I didn't see his Town Car collection personally but it was pretty impressive.

Sorry to hear this.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
emf

I remember having dinner with Tim and his wife one night while on an HCCA tour. Nice people. I knew he was ill, but I guess I didn't know how ill. Good people...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
ronn

sorry to hear.

Knew of Tims town cars.

Saw a model K and beautiful brass Rolls at Hershey. Were those his cars?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
dean from bozeman

Jeff, that is what it means. I didn't want to come right out and say it. I believe that it was "common knowledge".

As I saw it Tim lived to the end. Within the last year he was on an antique car tour in Europe. He showed his Town Cars at Gilmore and even sold fenders and other sheet metal at Hershey.

Ronn, though he was in Hershey I don't know if that was his Model K or his brass Rolls, though he did own one of each.

With the antique car hobby, some define themselves by their cars and what the cars signify. I think that Tim was a guy who loved antique cars and enjoyed driving and sharing them. I'll never forget seeing Tim at a national meet giving folks, including young people, rides in a Town Car.

At Hershey I have many memories of friends who have passed on. I drink a beer to Steve Ciccalone at his former swap space in the Red Field. I visit Bill Sturm and see the space that Doc Kalinka had for years. Now I'll go to that place in the Chocolate Field where I last saw Tim in 2017 and recommit that my life will be lived until its time to be viewed.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #13
foxfire42

I'm weak with sadness over the loss of Mr. Kelly. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person but we shared many telephone conversations over the years. He helped me with my Special Delivery sharing pictures of his and his knowledge of the vehicle so I was able to restore mine as correctly as possible. I needed his input on another Model A I'm working to perfect and was to call him last week.

I new he was weak and tired so I chose not to bother him as I felt he didn't need to try and sort through all the questions and information I needed from him. He was my mentor and I will miss talking Model A with him. He was so knowledgeable I was in awe every time we talked. A one of a kind man who will be missed by many. The hobby has really lost a giant in the hobby.

Last edited by foxfire42; 11-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
WTSHNN

I'm at a loss for words in how to sum up Tim Kelly. He was a friend and a mentor and a personality that I will never forget. He loved his cars and worked tirelessly to ensure the preservation of some of the most unique and rare A's ever built.

I'll miss him.

-Tim
Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
Alan Greenleaf

I was glad to see him at Hershey last month and we talked about his struggles with this terrible disease, having known him for about 25 years he was a very fine man, will truely be missed by many, rest in peace,Tim
Alan Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #16
Cape Codder

My condolences to all of Tim's family.

I met Tim only once at a New England Meet several years ago. He had brought one of his Town Delivery, the blue one with the G.E. logo on. He spoke to me maybe 20 minutes about the Delivery of which I knew nothing about but most interested. He spoke to me like I had known him for a long time. I will always remember that discussion.

May he Rest In Peace

Joe Grobleski
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
hazelhoff

Not knowing Tim, the condolances you guys are giving make me feel very emotional. Feels like knowing Tim. My condolances to the family too, out of Europe.
My wife has a Waldenstrom cancer as well as liverchirroses, so I am touched quite easily on subjects like illness. Don't want to abuse this weblog, but it feels good to have warm people on this planet
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote