Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default 1955/56 Ford Sedan Rear Window Defrost

For those of us who drive our cars quite a bit and deal with defrost issues on the rear window of a 55/56 Ford Sedan what options are there? I know that Ford made a rear window defrost unit as an option - can I assume that there were 6 volt and 12 volt models?

I would think that originals are pretty expensive. I don't even think I have ever seen one at a car show or a swap meet. Is anyone repopping them?

Any better aftermarket options out there?
Old 10-29-2019, 12:41 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955/56 Ford Sedan Rear Window Defrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post

I know that Ford made a rear window defrost unit as an option - can I assume that there were 6 volt and 12 volt models?
FORD made available in the early seventies an accessory kit-

Rear Window Defogger Kit - D3AZ-18397-B- GOOGLE IT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Window Defogger Kit - D3AZ-18397-B.jpg (71.9 KB, 25 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
5851a

Default Re: 1955/56 Ford Sedan Rear Window Defrost

They work pretty good, not as fast as the heated glass. Had a few in full size Fords and a Maverick. Dealer add on, came with wiring harness. The switch was 2 speed and the harness contained a built in resistor wire for low speed. Would probably work on 6 volts like low speed on 12. Requires a hole in rear window shelf little larger than a speaker. Most 70's Ford had the opening stamped in already.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Sometime prior to the year 2000, I installed a cheap, universal type window defroster for the rear window in my '55 Courier (which I had already converted to 12 volts). It was meant to mount on the rear package shelf of sedans, but I mounted mine sideways, just inside the doorjamb and modified the base so it could be aimed at the rear window.
This unit has two selections; fan only or fan and heat. So I also got a 1954 Ford 3-position selector switch to control it; fan-off-defrost.
I probably ordered it from J.C. Whitney & Co. Doubt it is still available, but I am sure somebody is offering a universal defroster.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
miker98038

If you google “rear window defroster” you’ll come up with some pictures. Most are little fan units but there one that’s and electric grid you stick on. I had one of those in the back window of a little foreign wagon back in the 70’s. It didn’t work as well as the ones built into the glass, but it worked to take moisture off the inside of the window. Not so much for snow or ice. I also had a car with a small 12v fan mounted on the rear package tray (there when I bought it). It worked too. But in Seattle, and my cars usually parked inside, fog was a result of getting in a cold car when you were wet. The heater blew the rain off you, and warmed the car, then the moisture fogged all the windows. But if you didn’t start them as soon as you started the car, they would take forever to clear a fogged window. Best bet was to stop it from happening. Colder climates and frost outside, not so sure.

None of them was like a modern car.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
Chris S

Being in the UK where we get a lot of damp and cold weather I've found the best option for defrosting windows is to use the AC. Unfortunately I've never had AC in my own cars, but I find it always defrosts the screens in the modern cars I've driven.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote