Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #41
philipswanson

Default Re: Switching to juice brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
If you are more or less tied in to using the stock early Ford Master cylinder, you might do better to fit the Bendix brakes on the front, and use 40 style on the back. This setup has been mentioned as a good combination by Barners before.

Mart.
Strongly agree. This is what I did on my 40 and I would match my stopping power with any disc brake mod. Had rears arced and new wheel cylinders and running the Speedway Bendix set up on the front. Great set up.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #42
dude

contact ECI, (1-860-872-70460) brakes , that's what they do for a living.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #43
AnthonyG

Will '52 ford rear backing plates fit on the '35. i see a pair on Ebay for $35. If they fit Ill pull the trigger?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #44
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Will '52 ford rear backing plates fit on the '35. i see a pair on Ebay for $35. If they fit Ill pull the trigger?
NO!!! There really is NO backing plate from a different vehicle (OTHER THAN the EARLY LINCOLNS) that will fit, and most importantly WORK, on a banjo rear end. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #45
AnthonyG

Thx, the 1939/40 will work but guess cause of the popularity of the conversion to the front Lincoln Bendix & rear Ford Lockheed theyre hard to find.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #46
Newc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi all; For a split front/rear DRUM [both] Look at a '62-63 Cadillac master cyl. It uses the large Ford type tubing and is available from most parts suppliers. I found one used in a '34 pickup I purchased... very nice with '40-48 brakes. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #47
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you don't have an in depth understanding of the various brake system components required to work togather, you are going to be much better off purchasing a complete kit. If you have to replace mismatched parts it is going to take a lot more time and money in the long run.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-20-2018 at 04:45 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #48
Jack E/NJ

Yes. That's partly the reason why I'm gonna wait for Ted's lockheed floater kit. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #49
AnthonyG

Quote:
If you are more or less tied in to using the stock early Ford Master cylinder, you might do better to fit the Bendix brakes on the front, and use 40 style on the back. This setup has been mentioned as a good combination by Barners before.

Mart.
Found a real nice set of front & rear '40 backing plates with all the bell's and whistles. I'll go with Rich's Early V8 Garage's master cyl and mod bracket. The linings even look pretty good although I'll renew them and check / renew the cylinders too after cleaning painting all. Price was right so will be pretty economical and if I not satisfied with the performance will change the fronts to the Bendix Lincoln type and end up as Mart's post suggested.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #50
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Found a real nice set of front & rear '40 backing plates with all the bell's and whistles. I'll go with Rich's Early V8 Garage's master cyl and mod bracket. The linings even look pretty good although I'll renew them and check / renew the cylinders too after cleaning painting all. Price was right so will be pretty economical and if I not satisfied with the performance will change the fronts to the Bendix Lincoln type and end up as Mart's post suggested.
Anthony....I believe that if you did any kind of a search on the subject that you will find a significant number of folks that claim that a change to Lockheed hydraulic brakes returned braking which was no better than the PROPERLY-ADJUSTED mechanical brakes which they replaced. I believe JM35 SEDAN is one such guy that swears by his well-maintained STOCK '35 brakes. I'm not trying to "poo poo" what you're trying to do, but by using the LOCKHEED brakes in the front, I believe you're going to be disappointed with the lack of real braking improvement that you would realize by using the NEW Lincoln Bendix-type brakes on the front.

You have to realize that the reason you can easily get away with using the old Lockheed's on the rear (in conjunction with the new Bendix brakes on the front) is because the rear brakes do such a small percentage of the braking as compared to the front axle brakes. The BENDIX "self-energizing" brakes do just that...they self-energize to give a much more effective braking ability considering a similar INPUT force from your brake pedal. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #51
AnthonyG

DD, I do understand your logic and the engineering / physics on front vs rear brakes & if I could have just bought the '40 rears would have gone for the front Lincoln Bendix's now but had to buy all four of the '40 brake plate assy's. Per u & Mart and a few others it sounds like I'll probably as I said earlier end up where u and Mart indicate. These came up and as the guy wouldn't just sell the rears & all were so nice I bought all four & they are in great shape. I don't feel that I am wasting my time or $ using the Lockheed fronts as I have them any way and for getting the entire juice system on line will use them with Rich's from Early V8 Garage's bracket and master cylinder. All will be the same except the change to the M/T Boling Bros. front Bendix setup which will cost me the same now or when I change to them probably next winter off season.
Thx for the advise
Old 02-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #52
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I for one will be interested in how you like them. Keep us informed on your progress.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #53
AnthonyG

Will do J, Rich from Early V8 Garage made another interesting point ( may have been just a selling point from him so I take with a grain of doubt) He said the Master Cyl he sells he does something propietary ( just wouldn't tell me what) that makes it have a bit more umph. We'll see,
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #54
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Will do J, Rich from Early V8 Garage made another interesting point ( may have been just a selling point from him so I take with a grain of doubt) He said the Master Cyl he sells he does something propietary ( just wouldn't tell me what) that makes it have a bit more umph. We'll see,
Hmmm.....That's interesting! I'm not sure what one could do to a stock-type M/C other than to sleeve down the bore size slightly to produce more pressure, but that would diminish the volume of fluid available per stroke. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #55
mrtexas

I have given up on 40 style brakes, too much to adjust and difficult to make work correctly. The lincoln bendix are fool proof and a snap to adjust. Same with disc brakes. I have disc front/bendix back on a 36 and a 41.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #56
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hmmm.....That's interesting! I'm not sure what one could do to a stock-type M/C other than to sleeve down the bore size slightly to produce more pressure, but that would diminish the volume of fluid available per stroke. DD
Wonder if he's referring to his retro fit kit in total, instead of just the master; in which case he could have changed the pedal ratio a little.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #57
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Wonder if he's referring to his retro fit kit in total, instead of just the master; in which case he could have changed the pedal ratio a little.

Very true possibility! rich b THINKS with his head. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #58
AnthonyG

I don't think we covered this so, are the hub assemblies for the Lincoln Bendix assy's & the Lockheed assy's common?
Old 02-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #59
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I don't think we covered this so, are the hub assemblies for the Lincoln Bendix assy's & the Lockheed assy's common?
Not sure about your use of the word "COMMON". Did you mean " Are they COMMON to each other", or did you mean "Is it COMMON to find them at every street corner".

They are common to each other. They can easily be found still attached to worn-out 1940 or 1941 Ford drums. That is probably your best bet because that way, you know for a fact that they are not, for instance, F-1s or F-100s, or even off of a Studebaker or Gremlin, for that matter. Also, you know for a fact that the seller didn't remove the drums and studs in such a manner as to bend the flanges and FUBAR-ing the stud holes. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #60
AnthonyG

I did mean common to each other, bad wordsmithery Thx DD