Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
aussie merc

Question wide 5 brakedrum

just a shout out as we know new wide 5 brake drums are just non existent and no one makes a replacement ? so does anyone know if there is a 12" drum available after market that can be remachined to fit the original hubs. It was built with wide 5s and i would like to keep it that way
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
Ray Balukas

Default Re: wide 5 brakedrum

I had my wide 5's relined by J&G Brake relining McHenry IL. 815-276-2578.They do a great job.an option. Ray
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
tub1

aussie merc pm me your phone or email I will sell you some good ones
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
aussie merc

hey ray thanks for the reply but having to deal with A.D.R. [Australian design rules] fitting inserts or drum liners is totally illegal and as a mechanic and authorized vehicle inspector i just wont do it as i wouldnt pass any thing that had had this done But thanks for the option and reply
Old 10-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
21stud

Hi aussie merc,
I'm also interested if someone has done this before? looks do-able if you have wide 5 drum with separate hub. I also have wide 5 drums, turned and too thin. maybe readily available 51A-1125 brake drum machined to wide 5 hub? anyone?
21stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I kept trolling eBay, got 2 fronts NOS, 19.95 each, had my top bid much higher, nobody else bid, the description was misspelled so they didn't come up on normal searches
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
hey ray thanks for the reply but having to deal with A.D.R. [Australian design rules] fitting inserts or drum liners is totally illegal and as a mechanic and authorized vehicle inspector i just wont do it as i wouldnt pass any thing that had had this done But thanks for the option and reply
So liners are a no-go but modifying a drum is fine? interesting. I would be more concerned about the modified drum because of the lack of reinforcement in the area the lugs would be moved to. The greater radius would put an increased load in a location on the drum not intended for that type of load to begin with.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
aussie merc

yeh thats the way it is government departments and engineers cant say that personally im to happy with the thought of fitting a liner but then not having seen on done cant over comment and re-drilling and machining blank drums is not unheard of
Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
yeh thats the way it is government departments and engineers cant say that personally im to happy with the thought of fitting a liner but then not having seen on done cant over comment and re-drilling and machining blank drums is not unheard of
Funny....GM surely didn't have any qualms about making (and standing behind) PRODUCTION aluminum drums with steel liners for big ol' heavy Buicks and Pontiacs in the late '50s and '60s. Even the currently-produced Boling Bros'. reproduction Lincoln and early Buick aluminum finned drums have a steel insert, and I can't say as I have heard of even one coming apart. Seems like the technology has been available to properly do this for well over 60 years now. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
aussie merc

yeh coopman they sure are pretty but 1 i own a ford not a buick 2 this is N'S.W australia not the U.S.A 3 we have a totally different set of rules here to deal with especially if you use general registration [anywhere anytime 24/7] not permits The cost of shipping 4 drums 1/2 way around the world and back alone is prohibitive . Blank drums are made to be remachined to suit various applications and are therefore acceptable under our rules
Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
Ronnieroadster

The only way to do this would be what racers did when running the wide five pattern hubs. The drums used and still used for the conversion is the good and extremely reliable Buick finned drums they will fit the hubs and work perfectly. Since they were extremely reliable under extreme racing use there's no way on an old Ford you would ever experience any failure. However I know your in a country that expects you to do the impossible since the rules are way out of line for sure. But they sure do look good under an old Ford in my opinion.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #12
aussie merc

Ronnie have you got a pic or a set of drawings that show how to mod the buick drum as the wide 5 is flat faced and the buick is dished looks like it would fit a forty or later hub without much drama but a wide five [luv to see it done or a set of drawings ] As for or rules they are a lot stricter than yours but it stops those that are "CHALLANGED" from killing others by their dumb acts and yes they do present their challenges you just have to think and be inventive
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #13
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Ronnie have you got a pic or a set of drawings that show how to mod the buick drum as the wide 5 is flat faced and the buick is dished looks like it would fit a forty or later hub without much drama but a wide five [luv to see it done or a set of drawings ] As for or rules they are a lot stricter than yours but it stops those that are "CHALLANGED" from killing others by their dumb acts and yes they do present their challenges you just have to think and be inventive

Sorry I don't have a drawing but I do have some Buick finned aluminum drums and some wide five brake assembly's so I will look at them and get back to you.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 10-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Ronnie have you got a pic or a set of drawings that show how to mod the buick drum as the wide 5 is flat faced and the buick is dished looks like it would fit a forty or later hub without much drama but a wide five [luv to see it done or a set of drawings ]
aussie ....Here are a couple of huge pictures that will at least show you the concept of how they go together. There's SOME info on the H.A.M.B.
DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #15
Ronnieroadster

Aussie merc the photos V8COOPMAN posted is exactly how I have seen the Buick drum modified for the wide five conversion. The ones I have seen which were used on stock cars that took a lot of abuse always were machined the same way as the photos show.
Ronnieroadster
Old 10-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #16
aussie merc

thanks thats what ive been looking for a drum i can remachine to suit now just need to work out if i can use the buick drums should be able to as they are a factory item not an aftermarket accessory Would love a set of drawings if someone has them
Old 10-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
RB

Some 2 piece wide 5 safety hubs use the alum steel lined drums very near like the buick however are already drilled with the fore mentioned wide 5 pattern & as said should be a near direct fit on a ford two piece type drum. Using a regular buick small bolt pattern drum would require extensive reworking & serious thought to re-drill the bolt pattern as you may by now realize. Ron
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #18
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Some 2 piece wide 5 safety hubs use the alum steel lined drums very near like the buick however are already drilled with the fore mentioned wide 5 pattern & as said should be a near direct fit on a ford two piece type drum. Using a regular buick small bolt pattern drum would require extensive reworking & serious thought to re-drill the bolt pattern as you may by now realize. Ron

Actually the conversion using the original Buick drums is not difficult all that's needed is a lath large enough to swing the brake drum. Using the lath all the work is based off the drums inner lining so a true center line is now established for the final machining step. The location to the Ford hub and the needed dimension is easy to determine since there's a shoulder used to locate the original Ford drum to the wide five hub. All that's needed is measure the diameter from the Ford drum or the locating position on the Ford hub. Overall this is an easy back yard Hot Rod modification that was done by thousands of guys who raced their stock cars and did the work themselves when needed.
Ronnieroadster
Old 10-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
rich b

Here's some pictures of an odd set-up where the wide 5 hub is inside the Buick drum along with another more normal brake with the hub on the outside.

I wonder if they put the hub on the inside to take up some of the drum width.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buick wide 5 1.jpg (18.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Buick wide 5 2.jpg (20.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg wide 5 buick drum.JPG (151.9 KB, 50 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #20
aussie merc

yeh thats a little different but i would be interested as to how well the rims mount .If they mount nice and flat no reason why it wouldn't work