Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
OLDTINDEALER

Default 1932 Question

Not an expert on 1932, especially trucks (although I do own a 157" and a couple rough cabs), But I just noticed the photos in the 1932 book on page A-1-13. Seems the one ton open cabs windshields could open forward to a 90 degree angle and stay open in that position. I can not see any window slides in the photos, plus the windshield frame appears different then other open 1932's. Does anyone have any better photos of these trucks? Anyone know of any that survived?
OLDTINDEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Question

The never-plentiful surviving '32 B-76 cabs are most often seen on the 106" wheelbase commercial chassis and nearly always referred to as roadster pickups. A few survivors on big truck chassis are known to exist. The cabs that you see on page A-1-13 are the same as that on page 11-50, although the former have had their tops removed. The windshield posts on the B-76 cab are unique and do not fold (see page 16-6) unlike those of the '32 phaetons and roadsters. The windshields, rear view mirror, and windshield wipers are all carryover items from '30-'31 standard phaetons and roadsters (see pages 16-13 and 17-8).

Open cab and phaeton/roadster windshields do not require slides to be held open as the construction of the swivel cones and windshield post sockets for the cones provide adequate friction to permit the windshields to remain open when their wing nuts are tightened.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
OLDTINDEALER

As always, Thank you David for the insightful answer. I know the 40/41 trucks are covered in book form and I heard the late 1930's trucks might have a book coming out soon. Any chance a 1932-1934 truck book might be tackled by someone in the future? Although I love the 32-34 Ford trucks, I always thought what if Henry had also redesigned the truck for 1933. Would it look like the same era Dodge truck with suicide doors? Any chance anyone could photo shop a coupe into a truck, I'd love the see what might have been. Mark
OLDTINDEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
DavidG

The new Early Ford V8 Club '33-'34 book will include coverage of all commercial vehicles and trucks, at least to the extent that the '32s are covered in the present Club '32 book.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote