Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #21
jrvariel48

Default Re: So I have a little problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Joe sadly the builder should have had a clue on what to do since this is a common improvement to do when using the 8BA block especially when adding a blower or even any early multi carb intake. Drilling and tapping the holes is easy just take the time to tape up everything so no drilling and taping metal gets inside the valley intake ports or cylinders. The intake is your fixture to guide you on the hole center location you can also use a stock 1948 or earlier stock intake for the location points. Theres no issues with hitting water since no water passages are located in the areas you will be working on. Take your time keep the drill and tap straight and you will be fine.
Ronnieroadster
Thanks Ronnie, sound advice as usual!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 AM   #22
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
This may seem a bit anal and long but, I think it's worth reading.

I may not be fully understanding the problem but, wouldn't it be best to mark the location of the holes with a transfer punch, remove the intake and line the inside of the "valley" with paper or rags or a plastic bag laid flat. Then cover that same cloth or a plastic bag with masking tape (sticky side up) and place a bunch of those of those little round super duper high strength magnets on top of the tape and under the drilling location so catch the chips.

Also, if possible, mganetize the HSS pilot drill,intermediate size drills and tap drill AND tap ADD add a dab of wheel bearing grease to each to help catch chips. When hand drilling cast iron I always go one drill below the drill shown on the tap drill chart to help compensate for minor drill movement while drilling. Practice a couple of times on a scrap piece of cast iron if you have any. Cast iron drills quite accurately if you have a pilot hole.

When all done, I would VERY carefully roll up the rags, plastic bag and tape used in the "valley" to capture all the chips and remove it. Then I would go back with a flashlight and a mirror and another very strong magnet glued to a non magnetic stick and meticulously cover every bit of surface area, including under the bottom edge of the drilled holes to make sure no chips or potential chips from the newly tapped holes remain.

QUESTIONS: Do you think the fellow who built you engine would be as careful as the above procedure. Does he have a better procedure? Is he willing to take all the time to patiently do this as he know this will VOID warranty, anyway.

I always worry when such an important mission is taken on by someone else, unless they have a better method. Assume you are searching for land mines that will blow up you new engine. I am sure you will be successful.
Not long at all!! Very sound advice. Careful planning is the key. The entire valley is taped over so nothing will get in there. The only spot exposed will be the area where the drilling and tapping will take place. I went through this in another motor when I drilled the holes in the lifter bores to adjust the lifters. This was done in the car! I used a pretty elaborate system to keep things clean, but a carefully place shop vac really did the trick! Thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Thanks JM! Looking forward to your pictures!!
Finally got them resized and posted. Gave up on posting with my Motorola "Moto Z" phone and got it done with my old Samsung Tablet....see my orginal post

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #24
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Finally got them resized and posted. Gave up on posting with my Motorola "Moto Z" phone and got it done with my old Samsung Tablet....see my orginal post
That's a beauty JM!! What's the plan?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Wink Re: So I have a little problem...

Quote:
That's a beauty JM!! What's the plan?
Just planning to make it a nice driver, and drive its wheels off. No time or interest in building a high point show car....may even run it with no hood, big/little black walls....drop the front a tad....maybe some 21 stud speed equipment, etc., etc.,...... just like yours!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 02-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Just planning to make it a nice driver, and drive its wheels off. No time or interest in building a high point show car....may even run it with no hood, big/little black walls....drop the front a tad....maybe some 21 stud speed equipment, etc., etc.,...... just like yours!!
Love it!! That's the exact plan I had!!
Old 02-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #27
jrvariel48

All done with the five extra holes! Gary (GOSFAST) send me over some tools to do the job! It was extremely easy and everything worked out perfectly!
A BIG thanks to Gary for shipping the tools over and thanks to all that responded with their input!! I'll try to post some pictures
Old 02-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #28
jrvariel48

Let's see how these pictures come out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (58.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg image (3).jpg (54.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg image (4).jpg (43.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
All done with the five extra holes! Gary (GOSFAST) send me over some tools to do the job! It was extremely easy and everything worked out perfectly!
A BIG thanks to Gary for shipping the tools over and thanks to all that responded with their input!! I'll try to post some pictures
Quote:
Let's see how these pictures come out!
Nice work jr (Joe?)!!....and also very nice of Gary (GOSFAST) to send you his special tools to get the job done right.
Before reading these last two posts, I was ready to offer you the use of my B&D Mag Drill, possibly meeting you at a halfway point on I95.
I believe those intake deck holes were originally not drilled, and tapped at the factory as part of the cost reduction program fomoco "bean counters" introduced after the passing of Henry. Just like head studs to bolts, etc., etc., on the 8ba engines.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #30
jrvariel48

Thank you John! That's a very nice gesture and I appreciate it! Gary is a knowledgeable guy and extremely helpful and I'm happy to know him.
Thanks again, Joe
Old 02-24-2020, 04:30 AM   #31
Mart

An excellent job, with guidance and actual physical help in the form of loaned parts from someone with direct experience of the job. This, gents, is what these chat forums are for.

Long live FordBarn.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:59 AM   #32
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
An excellent job, with guidance and actual physical help in the form of loaned parts from someone with direct experience of the job. This, gents, is what these chat forums are for.

Long live FordBarn.

Mart.
Well Said Mart!